MG Engine Swaps Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

In line fuel pump noise

Posted by Kill R B 
Kill R B Avatar
x x
x, USA   usa

Bob,The problem you are having with the fuel pump is prevalent in all aftermarket high pressure inline fuel pumps. We sell Accel which is made by another company. It is also noisy to a degree. I haven't heard your noise so I couldn't compare. There are some German cars that have a pump that will work in a quieter mode but they are horribly expensive. We suspend our pump between two high pressure rubber hoses connected to 3/8 tubing on each end. This helps about 50 percent. The noise you are getting is being transmitted by the steel lines that are attached to the underbody. The underbody acts as a sounding board. The only way to reduce this problem is an intank pump or a pump/surge tank combo as found in Volkswagen products such as GTI. I know this isn't an easy pill to swallow but the noise is more noticeable in a GT or when you are setting still in traffic. I will paste this as a new thread in hopes that someone may have a better solution.

Dann
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
DIPPY Avatar
Bob Davis
La Mirada Cal, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

Thx Dann,
Question what should the working pressure at the fuel rail be, and the VW in-tank setup is it hard to do? What other choise are there for intank pumps and what would it take to get it done.

:beer:

MAY ALL YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS BE PROSPEROUS

Bob Davis
Kill R B Avatar
x x
x, USA   usa

Bob, we talked about this and came to a conclusion. I wrote this so our readers wouldn't think I was ignoring you.

Dann
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
scotabbott Avatar
Scot Abbott
Pittsburgh, Pa 15216, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Bee"

I think the problem has 2 parts, location of the whine and sonic transmission through the 'frame'. Jag had this situation in Series 3 Jag XJ6's. It uses a Bosch in line fuel pump. Although it emits a strong whine, it is mounted in such a way that it isnt noticeable to passengers' ears . It's mounted in a suspended rubber lined bracket far from the passengers' ears (back of trunk next to spare tire).
I intend to mount one in mine using this kind of bracket and rubber stand-off isolators. It will be located in the engine compartment on a forward part of the inner liner, along with a small swirl pot. In this way, the engine noise should mask the whine, since there are plenty of noises emanating from the same area, and sound transmission through the structure will be eliminated.
DIPPY Avatar
Bob Davis
La Mirada Cal, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

I thinl I am going to replace the Su pump with a HP pump and just run one pump. Mount it near the orginal SU pump.

Bob Davis
DIPPY Avatar
Bob Davis
La Mirada Cal, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

why wouldn't something like this work, splice into pickup line and support from the bottom

http://www.fuelpumps.com/1985-ford-thunderbird-fuel-pump-8-cyl-50l-f-efi-p-1765.html

Bob Davis
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member
Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   usa
1959 Austin A40 Farina
1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1961 Austin-Healey Sprite "Green Sprite"
1969 MG MGC GT "CGT"
1979 MG MGB   → more

Bob, I believe your FP is supposed to be about 35+psi. 1993+ V6 run up to 47psi stock.

-BMC.

BMC British Automobile   – Minneapolis, MN USA BMC British Automobile is a Restoration and Repair shop north of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Our time is spent solely on British vehicles and British Conversions. MG and Austin are our specialties.
Stan Arendts
Irvine, CA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Pumpkin" ~ For Sale ! ~
1973 MG MGB V6 Conversion

My '73 MGB/3.4L SFI is almost at a point where I have confidence in driving long distances. A recent and nagging problem is the extremely high pitched whine the fuel pump makes after the engine heats up. When the temp hits around 190/200, it starts. The inline pump is under the hood. I have wrapped it with insulation, but no help. I am worried that it may burn out. Is this normal?

Stan Arendts
Irvine, CA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Pumpkin" ~ For Sale ! ~
1973 MG MGB V6 Conversion

The noise may not be from the fuel pump after all. It only happens after driving for a while and the engine temp reaches 190. When I switch off the fuel pump the noise stops.....so does the engine, but if I turn the pump back on, without the engine running, no noise. The car runs great, but the noise is distracting. Could this be caused by something else?

SCA

Rich Berger
St. Louis, USA   usa

Stan,

I also am getting closer to running my 3.4 with SFI. I am trying to decide which type of fuel pump, inline or in tank, to use. If you were to choose now would you go for the intake type?

Also did you do away with the EGR system? If so did you just leave the EGR connection in the SFI harness disconnected or did you find some other way to fool the ECU so it did not put out error codes?

bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

Stan - turn ignition on, pump works only until primed and stops. Start engine, pump runs. The noise on my car isn't the high pressure pump, it is the Holley primer pump.

Rich, the inline pump I have works great. Installed it in conjunction with a new MGA tank.

An in tank pump would also be a great way to go if you have a new tank and want to weld the pump and swirl unit into it.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG