AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mirdox Avatar
Mirdox marco rovelli
milano, italy, Italy   ITA
1980 MG MGB "Giallona"
Dead all
Here I am again trying to find a solution for my swap.
In order to simplify the works I was thinking about the usage of my refurbished gearbox with OD.
Fundamentally I would entirely replicate the original MGB GT V8.
Is it possible?
Does the rover V8 3.5 L directly fit my gearbox?
In case not how can I proceed?
Does exist an adaptor?
Many many thanks guys for your help.
Ciao
Mirdox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 02:00 PM by Mirdox.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Good luck finding that bell housing!

Personally, I would not even consider it. Where you are located, a Rover bell with a LT77 or R380 (better) tranny would be a much better solution. You should be able to get good money for that MGB OD trans.

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Biggest headache I had doing my conversion was parts.

Finding lt77 gearbox and bell housing and flywheel and clutch fork was v hard and not cheap. If you have one in your hands stick with it. It can take circa 200bhp which is the mist you’ll get out of a 3.5 without spending loads.

There is a company in bromsgrove UK who does exchanged lt77 for £455. Don’t know if he ships to Italy .....

I would have used a T5 if I had the choice but price was too much as they aren’t readily available in the uk or Italy or is the bell housing to match rover v8.

If you have money look up uk company called vitesse they will provide a Mazda mx5 box with bell housing for £1800 if I remember.

Someone said to me keep it simple and use parts available it will be easier in the long run

Hope this helps

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Marco,

In your other email, you said you had a 3.5 and LT77. Stick with this power unit. When I did my car starting in 2000, I purchased my 3.5 and LT77 from a 1980 Rover SD1. I knew the components were already paired and would work once rebuilt.

The stock MGB transmission won’t be up to the task of being attached to the 3.5. The original MGB GT V8’s 3.5 was derated to 137 HP and it’s gearbox was at its limit.

My 3.5 was rated at 155 HP in the SD1 and I know the LT77 easily handled that. The RV8’s 3.9 was rated at ~190 HP and the LT77 had no issues with this.

My suggestion; use the 3.5 and LT77 you have.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Mirdox Avatar
Mirdox marco rovelli
milano, italy, Italy   ITA
1980 MG MGB "Giallona"
Thanks to everybody!
As usual your suggestions are definitively foundamental in planning jobs.
Ok...I'm going on with the V8 3.5 plus its LT77 gearbox.......
Thanks again
ciao
Marco

Simon Austin Avatar
thumbs upthumbs up

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

2putt Avatar
2putt Darrell Levine
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
1975 MG MGB "Red Rocket"
1978 MG MGB
Now I hope I'm not jinxing myself,.....but I have first hand knowledge of how a stock MGB 4sp with OD can hold up behind a larger engine.

More than 50k miles on same transmission behind 2 different 3.8 Buicks,....both equipped with performer inrakes and 4 bbl carbs.

That latest version a 1986,...would probably put out as torque much as that detuned 3.5

I've shattered or broken 3 clutch discs,....due to aggressive driving or unwise down shifts,....car is equipped with 3.07 rear gears.

Transmission has been fine,....OD works flawlessly

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DarrellLevine.htm]Darrell 3.8 Buick powered MGB[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 06:42 AM by 2putt.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
I hope your good fortune continues.
My first MGB came with clutch and transmission issues, so I replaced parts including synchros. Having seen what size the internal parts are, I'd say you are very fortunate indeed.

Jim

2putt Avatar
2putt Darrell Levine
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
1975 MG MGB "Red Rocket"
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3660400 by Jim Blackwood I hope your good fortune continues.
My first MGB came with clutch and transmission issues, so I replaced parts including synchros. Having seen what size the internal parts are, I'd say you are very fortunate indeed.

Jim

Come to think of it,......But a long time ago.......I upgraded to the OD transmission when I had the original 4cyl car due to a couple broken ''synchros'',.......since then...I've .made sure MC/SLAVE and Throw-out bearings are in good order,....well I guess that and some luck,.....even when driving somewhat aggressively,.......I make a point of fully engaging gears when shifting before stomping on it,.....if that makes any sense.

I got another MG OD as a spare though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 03:37 PM by 2putt.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
The MGB gearbox is strong enough for 100 foot pounds but not so much for 200. It's all a moot point anyway when we consider that this requires a special adapter plate and custom flywheel and starter to fit which would cost more than locating a t5 or lt77 in Italy.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
Many years ago when I was doing my first V8 (Rover) conversion I purchase an adapter kit from Dave Vale in the UK so that I could use an original MGB gearbox. A subsequent discussion with Glen Towery caused me to opt for a Toyota Supra box for both my conversions. Thank you Glen.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links