Modifying mgbGT engine bay

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

New Haven, Connecticut, USA   USA
Hi,
I'm trying to plan ahead (few years ahead) for my dream engine conversion of a MGB GT.
I hope some day to put a 2JZ-GTE supra engine, ideally with gertag auto tranny into the B GT.
I anticipate removing the heater shelf and replacing the cross member with something more akin to an MGC cross member.

I have replaced suspension towers and brake systems myself in the past, but never a cross member. How difficult a task is replacing the cross member, and where could I buy one from that would accommodate the Supra engine?

Also I live in CT, so a heater is a must, if I remove enough of the heater shelf to slide the in line 6 & tranny in place, where could I place the heater?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JH

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
There is no kit
You'll have to do all the fabrication on the crossmember and more
Do you have fabrication skills ?
Take out the whole shelf
There are heaters you can put inside the cockpit

From an old post of mine

Save up lots of money

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Mark C Silver Member Mark Cross
Marysville, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 3638459 by West Minister
Also I live in CT, so a heater is a must, if I remove enough of the heater shelf to slide the in line 6 & tranny in place, where could I place the heater?

Vintage air and others offer stand alone heater systems.

Mark..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Start with this in the front of the car. Made by Fastcars, it bolts right in and makes a bit of room up front

http://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/320367/FastCars_Crossmember.jpg

2jz seems to come with a few sump configurations, one of these should be close.

Then you make an opening in the firewall kinda like this

Into which you locate the engine and gearbox to whatever position it needs to be to clear whatever it needs to clear

In the back, I would look into a narrowed 8.8 rear end out of an explorer since it comes with disc brakes, posi and good gears. Might get away with only shortening one side.

The swap has been done, go to Youtube and google 2jz mgb for some inspiring video.

No way no how this is ever going to be low-budget.

Pete

No Home PP, Mark Cross, and Rob L.
Thanks for the input you have given me useful pointers.
Yours,
J. H.

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Another swap where extending the wheel base will require a lot less modifications. Can anyone tell me why the stock wheel base is so sacrosanct?

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3641241 by Richardtherodder Another swap where extending the wheel base will require a lot less modifications. Can anyone tell me why the stock wheel base is so sacrosanct?

Most people are on this board because they want to build a V8 powered MGB with as little effort as possible. Cutting a car in half and making it 7" longer is a TON of work. Combine that with the fact that welding and metal fabrication is not the norm for most people, and perhaps you can see why it does not go that way?

You pretty much need a chassis plate to cut a car in half and have a chance of getting it back together straight
You need to figure out where to cut and design a solid splice when re-joining
Brake and electrical stuff wont reach...trivial to some not to others
Steering column will no longer reach or line-up. Once again, trivial to some, not for others

The big one is outer bodywork. Besides the work required to stretch the fenders, bonnet and sills. What does an MGB with 7" added to the front look like? Anyone able to photoshop this?

Is it possible that I am miss-interpreting your definition of "extending the wheelbase"? Because for the most part a V8 swap into the MGB can be a pretty straightforward bolt-in swap when compared to cutting a car in half and re-engineering the chassis from scratch. Having the headers exit through the wheeltubs seems a lot less drastic than adding 7" to the front of the body.

Pete

Why 7inches? A V8 would require around 2 to 3 inches. If this straight 6 is that much longer, I would both stretch the wheel base, and cut the firewall.

I have no intention of extending the wheel base. That is beyond my budget and and time frame.
Could any of you help with another question. In some MGB's that have had a 1 or a 2JZ supra added the mechanic has moved the engine and tranny back as much as 10 inches, others much less. The further back you move the powertrain the more firewall yopu have to remove. Do any of you know how people have added extra support to the momcoque as part of it is removed at the center of the firewall?

NoHome PP in your pics a moderate amount of the firewall is cut out. I guess you did not feel that additional crossmembers or struts were needed to maintain rigidity, am I right? Do you k now of others who have added such extras to enhance the torsional rigidity of the monocoque?
JH

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3641339 by Richardtherodder Why 7inches? A V8 would require around 2 to 3 inches. If this straight 6 is that much longer, I would both stretch the wheel base, and cut the firewall.

I picked the number out of the air because that is the stretch I did on my project. The exact same work would be required for a 2" stretch.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3641339 by Richardtherodder A V8 would require around 2 to 3 inches.

Just for the record, since this goes into the archives for future reference, an MGB V8 conversion requires no such thing. Been proven hundreds of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 09:30 PM by V8MGBV8.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3641369 by West Minister I have no intention of extending the wheel base. That is beyond my budget and and time frame.
Could any of you help with another question. In some MGB's that have had a 1 or a 2JZ supra added the mechanic has moved the engine and tranny back as much as 10 inches, others much less. The further back you move the powertrain the more firewall yopu have to remove. Do any of you know how people have added extra support to the momcoque as part of it is removed at the center of the firewall?

NoHome PP in your pics a moderate amount of the firewall is cut out. I guess you did not feel that additional crossmembers or struts were needed to maintain rigidity, am I right? Do you k now of others who have added such extras to enhance the torsional rigidity of the monocoque?
JH

Assuming we speak of this image, there was a lot of structure that has to be put back into the shell. The tunnel on a B is a closed structure that offers a lot of rigidity to the MGB in both torsional and bending loads. A new tunnel has to be designed that takes this into consideration. This car would not be a good example of how I would go about doing a conversion, but if cheap, fast and dont give a damn is your motto, it worked out.

Kinda like this

edit: Picture is NOT the car built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 06:12 AM by NOHOME.

The way to strengthen rigidity of metal is to add corners. The more direction changes the better. When moving an engine back, there is point where moving it back further, will not require additional cutting, of the firewall. Nohome, it is the same amount of work, but the outcome would be different. I bet a 2 to 3 inch stretch, would hardly be noticeable.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Richard, you are talking about an insane amount of work, time and expense for almost no benefit.

To date, of the perhaps thousands of MGBs converted to V8 power there is not one single example of a car that had to be stretched in order to fit in the engine. Why do you seem to feel that your own misguided, uninformed (though Lord, we have tried) and inexperienced opinion trumps all of that? I really would like to know. You continually offend everyone who has ever done a V8 conversion and offer not one single shred of proof. At this point, it has to be intentional.

You could have said something like, "I think it would be helpful to stretch the wheelbase." but you did not. Personally I'm getting really tired of your BS. I think you should put up or shut up. Show us how "easy" it is AFTER you've done it.

Jim

I did not say it would be easy, I said it would be easier, there is a difference. Jim hat is easy for you to say, because I do not have a shop, or the money to do it. Tell you what, like the roadmaster, where a bunch of people got together, and donated stuff for it. After I get my car on the road, I will have some spare time. So set me up in a shop, get people to donate the parts, and I will invest the time, and end this disagreement.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster