AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Ok Greg i hope this works, it looks like it costs a little more now. but this is what i bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-Triangulated-4-Link-Suspension-shown-Air-Ride-/371692274850?vxp=mtr&hash=item568a9604a2 It says suspension show air ride but there are no pads needed for the bags so i'm confused about that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Youre going to bag it?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
No Rob I'm using coil overs. That is why I was saying the ad talking about air ride. Because the kit I bought is not for air ride.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
thumbs up that kit number shows set up for bags
You sure it has the correct lengths for the MGB and not some generic muscle car size?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
I know the kit says it's for bags but it is not. There are no pieces in the kit that are made for bags. anyways as far as the rods go yes I do have to make them fit the mg. I already ground the welds off the one end so I can cut the tube to length then weld the end back on. I do not want to cut the tube in the middle then weld them back together. But for the savings in money I do not mind doing the work.

Mark C Silver Member Mark Cross
Marysville, Ohio, USA   USA
Just a suggestion, you might look into new weld in rod ends. Not very much $ and save you grinding and re welding a piece that was previously welded. Just shorten your rods and weld in new.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/fk-weldable-tube-ends

Mark..

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
If you are wanting to do your own design and fabrication, then head over to Speeday motors and spend like $500 to buy everything you could need to do the job.

A lot of the value built into the CC kit is that it can be installed by anyone and the geometry, shock/spring specs and road manners have been dealt with.

If you build your own, chances are that the second you are done, you will be in the "Development" phase of the project, and that can and should eat up as much time as the design and fabricate phase.

As to the results when done, no higher praise can be put forth than the fact that the wife unit would go for rides and not complain every time the car went over a bump or railroad track. The GT rode like an actual car for a change rather than a self propelled buckboard.

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
Not saying you're wrong Pete, because you're not. The CCC kit is a good deal and the development is done. But on the other hand if you're keeping the shell fairly stock the geometry on the 4-link kind of sets itself. There's not much margin to move the links around and most of the DIY jobs I've seen all pretty much have the end of the bars in the same areas.

I don't drive my mgb much anymore, too busy running kids around every day. However, I drove it yesterday to get the fuel stabilizer mixed up and DANG - does this thing ride rougher or am I just getting old??? The leaf springs sure don't soak up the "choppy" bumps around town.

Ryan

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Not as easy as it sounds apparently. I recall when Bill's 4 link first came out there were some interference or binding issues which he quickly corrected. Makes a lot of sense to take advantage of that prior development work.

Jim

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3639807 by Ryan Reis Not saying you're wrong Pete, because you're not. The CCC kit is a good deal and the development is done. But on the other hand if you're keeping the shell fairly stock the geometry on the 4-link kind of sets itself. There's not much margin to move the links around and most of the DIY jobs I've seen all pretty much have the end of the bars in the same areas.

I don't drive my mgb much anymore, too busy running kids around every day. However, I drove it yesterday to get the fuel stabilizer mixed up and DANG - does this thing ride rougher or am I just getting old??? The leaf springs sure don't soak up the "choppy" bumps around town.

Ryan

You are correct in that most of the link locations on a triangulated 4 link are going to define themselves. But god is in the details. What shock and spring combo to run? Adjust ride height with preload or shock body lenghts and give up travel? What rod ends you gonna run? What angle are you going to run on the top links? ( there are some close tolerances in a stock MGB) If doing this myself, I would not follow Bills U-bolt mount for the axle lower link/shock mount. I would design the mount and weld it on to the axle. Hopefully in the right place!

My life-long record is that I tend to get things working well by the second attempt and maybe need a third or fourth to perfect if I can be bothered. That is why I have never tried parachuting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reminds me, I need to figure out where the GT from Hell is...had some guy drive it off to a storage site and never asked where it was! Talk about "Out of sight out of mind"!

Pete

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
When doing your own rear suspension, spend some time reading. Pinion angle and roll center location is critical.
It makes a difference on how it will handle during acceleration, at the apex and out of the turn. Hard braking is also affected by the 4 link.

Not trying to discourage you, just get inform.

I have not driven an MGB with the frontline 4 (5) link rear suspension. I have two customers who took them out and replaced them with ours. Our kit shipping weight is 49 lbs.

I am shipping one to the UK to a magazine who will be doing an article on transforming an MGB and our 4 link will be one of the feature article. We have six 4 links in the UK.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"We have six 4 links in the UK"

How many in Oz?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Thank you Bill, I respect your opinion but my problem is money. I am a disabled vet on a fixed income. so when I seen the price of this one I grabbed it. If I had the cash I would buy yours in a heart beat, Also on the positive side I love fabrication and building. After my last back surgery (4th) I got clean and sober and I needed something to do with my time that's when I started tinkering around with the mgb. I have always been a mechanic but fabricating I had no faith in my self, so I went for it and now 8yrs later I love it. And I have been reading about pinion angle but thanks for the tip on roll center location did not know about that. So now I will read about that. Thanks again Bill.

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3641351 by billymgb1000 .... After my last back surgery (4th) I got clean and sober and I needed something to do with my time that's when I started tinkering around with the mgb....

Congratulations, and I pray for your continued success. Although for some of us, our LBC's frequently drive us to drink

In reply to # 3641232 by 1744 ...
I have not driven an MGB with the frontline 4 (5) link rear suspension. I have two customers who took them out and replaced them with ours. ...

I am shipping one to the UK to a magazine who will be doing an article on transforming an MGB and our 4 link will be one of the feature article....

Bill- did your customer tell you why they were replacing the Frontline 4 links with one of yours? (I should note I have a box of parts that will be assembled into a CCE converging 4 link rear suspension for my MGC)

And what magazine is doing the article?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 11:09 AM by twentyover.

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Bill, my two songs are vets, one a former Marine scout sniper, my youngest son is dual service, Army Special forces and became a USAF PJ also 100% teaching medical. I am also a vet dual service, so I do understand.

You can e-mail me or call if you have any questions. Glad to help you out.

Really don't like to put any product below ours. 80/20 rule applies satisfied 80% or better will like a product and 20% will not, numbers vary, but that is the way it works.

The magazine doing the article is Practical Performance Car Magazine in the UK.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster