AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
I am about ready to start my 4 link project but I have a question. I am also using a set of coil overs and can anyone who has a 4 link take some pics of how your shocks are mounted on top. I have seen a bunch of pics on line but no good ones of the top mount for the shocks. Mine is not a kit from moss I bought a weld on 4 link and coil overs separately. I have an idea of what I am going to do but pics would be great. Thanks guys and gals.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
This is something I would like to see also!

Mike Moor Avatar
Angola,IN, USA   USA
This is what I came up with. You to use the "small body" coil-over shock.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0546.JPG    39.5 KB
IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG    39.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0533.JPG    43.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
What is the 4 link design you are going to use? parallel or triangulated.

I did not realize that MOSS sold a parallel 4 link https://mossmotors.com/mgb/suspension-steering/five-link-rear-suspension-kit-4

Pete

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
I am using the triangulated

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3636052 by NOHOME

I did not realize that MOSS sold a parallel 4 link https://mossmotors.com/mgb/suspension-steering/five-link-rear-suspension-kit-4

I didn't either. According to the instructions, it is a Frontline product.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3636395 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3636052 by NOHOME

I didn't either. According to the instructions, it is a Frontline product.

I gathered that it might be a Front-line product based on the $3500 price tag. Those guys are pretty proud of their inventory!

If you are doing a triangulated 4 link, I would consider just buying the kit from Classic Conversions. Not that you could not make it for less if you really want to, but is it worth the time and effort to re-invent the wheel? It was not for me. Do a Google image search for MGB 4 link suspension, and you can see all kind of options.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Bills Kit CCE
$1625

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
Screenshot_20171130-212711.jpg    43.8 KB
Screenshot_20171130-212711.jpg

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
The beauty of Bill's kit as far as the top shock mount is concerned is that it utilises the Armstrong mounting bolts & holes.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, California, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
I am a very Happy Classic Conversions 4-Link user, mine is mounted on a custom subframe with a 8.8 Ford rearend. It's been in approx. 4 years or so, ride quality and adjustability are pluses. Totally recommend Bill Guzmans product for use in a street MGB. Chuck

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Thanks chuck, I wanted to ask you just how nice is having a 4 link, as far as the ride quality and handling aspect compared to the leaf spring.

billymgb1000 Avatar
1973 MG MGB
I checked out all the 4 link kits. Bills, moss, and I just don't have that money. I bought a heavy duty triangulated weld on universal 4 link that was 300.00 and I got it for 158.00 they had a 50% off sale. it was a ebay store. then I found my coil over shocks for 200 plus shipping. so for under 400.00 I believe I scored. Now I have to do all the labor and figuring but that's what I love. I am going to post pics of the kit I bought for the guys trying to figure out what they want to do. I do love this site for all the info you can find.

slightly modified Avatar
William, as far as I can tell a triangulated 4-link gives way better articulation (tires stay on ground on uneven surfaces), ride quality is adjustable to taste (adjustable shocks, easy to change spring rate), adjustable instant center (traction and squat), yes I like my CCE 4-link. I run mine pretty stiff-225lb. springs, medium stiff on shocks, road ripples no fun ,some roads here in Northern California are just bad, on reasonably smooth roads fantastic. thumbs up

slightly modified Avatar
William, forgot to mention--100% better than leafs and levers!

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3638376 by billymgb1000 I checked out all the 4 link kits. Bills, moss, and I just don't have that money. I bought a heavy duty triangulated weld on universal 4 link that was 300.00 and I got it for 158.00 they had a 50% off sale. it was a ebay store. then I found my coil over shocks for 200 plus shipping. so for under 400.00 I believe I scored. Now I have to do all the labor and figuring but that's what I love. I am going to post pics of the kit I bought for the guys trying to figure out what they want to do. I do love this site for all the info you can find.

Can you post a link to the ebay sale of the 4 link? Interested in what they would show

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster