Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, Ohio, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
How far has anyone cut on a MGB to make a V8 engine fit? I was looking and measuring my MGB pondering a V8 swap for a small block Chevy engine. It is a very tight fit and most conversions run the exhaust through the inner fender well. There is an enormous amount of floor length in the B. More than needed, I think. It seems to me the seat could go back 4 to 6 inches, making the foot boxes that protrude into the engine compartment unnecessary. The heater box could go under the dash and the heater shelf and foot boxes could be cut out. Panels could be fabricated to patch the firewall, or a nice one piece firewall installed. The outside frame and the inner frame would need re-braced back together, I figure that was one on the functions of the foot boxes.

This would give room in the bell housing area for engine, starter, and exhaust clearance.

Any body ever gone this far?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
I suggest you visit http://www.britishv8.org

Lots of information there.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Almost every one here who does the V8 swap, does it that way. What I do not understand, is why no one simply extends the wheelbase. It requires far less cutting up of the car, and does not require a short driver..

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Must be a Canadian thing...

Engine right up against the firewall, no heater and seat was up against the rear bulkhead. It was a low-buck,rat-rod project, but it rolled out.

Using the original MGB suspension and brakes, it was budgeted at under 5k Canadian

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Almost every one here who does the V8 swap, does it that way."

Presumably you mean "Almost every one here who does the Chevy V8 swap, does it that way."?

IDK if that's true for other V8s but no cutting for my Rover V8 - but I did deliberately buy the body the Factory used for their 3.5.

"What I do not understand, is why no one simply extends the wheelbase".

Here that's a no go area.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 06:37 AM by MGB567.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3630049 by Richardtherodder What I do not understand, is why no one simply extends the wheelbase. It requires far less cutting up of the car, and does not require a short driver..

I did a wheelbase stretch on the current project. Not something I will advocate for doing again.

1980 MG MGB
I see these car have been modified from None to "that's not a MGB anymore".

I think Richardtherodder meant almost everyone runs the exhaust through the fender well.
I just don't like the exhaust in there with the tire.

Why is changing the wheel base a "no go" area here?

NOHOME, your not afraid of anything are you? That was a bold project, I like it. I see your garage is well equipped for the big projects.

Is that an American flag in Canada?

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to a post by Mike Sterling

Why yes, it is! And if you look carefully you will see another flag tucked in behind.drinking smiley

Pete

1980 MG MGB
In reply to # 3630496 by NOHOME
In reply to a post by Mike Sterling

Why yes, it is! And if you look carefully you will see another flag tucked in behind.drinking smiley

Pete

British? What era? If that is lower left corner it does not match exactly any images I find.

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
You'd do all of that work just to avoid headers through the inner fenders? I guess you could shift everything rearward like that, but it's so much work. And I just think the further you sit rear from the windshield the sillier it's going to look. That's my problem with changing the wheelbase. My humble opinion - it's going to look out of proportion and weird. There are dozens and dozens of conversions running fenderwell headers with no issues. To clarify - I support doing what you want and I say go for it if that's your vision!

Ryan

Nohome it looks like you cut the rails in the wrong spot. It looks like you were not just trying to extend the wheelbase. I did not do it because I do not have access to a shop, with a level floor. But I would have cut the rails, just before, where the wheel wells start. Then cut 1 slice down the fender, and put in a strip of metal. The only hard part would be to make sure everything is straight, when you weld it back together. And a simple jig would accomplish that. Then all that is left, is to lengthen the steering shaft. The funny thing is, several people here have done all that, but they left the wheelbase the same. So then they had to cut up the firewall as well. To me it does not make any sense. Unless they are intimidated by body work.

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
Peter has done some work on these British cars that no one else would even attempt, Yes I remember Peter!

Ryan, you want to see silly. People have told me that they laughed, when they saw me get out of my MG.

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, California, USA   USA
Pete.
I, for one, am happy to see others making dimensional changes to the MGB for whatever reason.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698

Attachments:
Windshield (8).jpg    44.8 KB
Windshield (8).jpg

Pilot4747 Chuck Hall
Sumerco, WV, USA   USA
I found that a S 10 Chevy works great

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster