AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
LOL...my wife is already giving me hard time over this and completely disagrees with me. Maybe some thoughts are better kept to yourself rather than offending the masses

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
I suppose you could do like Dale Knapke with his TR6 and extend the front end by 7"

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Good time to yield to Mrs. Limey, Michael. grinning smiley

Do not compare any car you like to an E-Type. Seriously. Not much in the automotive world looks any sexier.

Look at the the MGB profile & find the center between the wheels. You will see that the the driver is to the rear of halfway between the wheels. Not as exaggerated as an E-type or BMW Z, but so what. Maybe you need a Caterham 7. winking smiley

Here is an example of a long nose/short deck Pony car. Notice that, like your B, the driver sits just to the rear of center.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Note that the MGB (like the Jag) has more rear overhang than in front. Significantly more in fact, unlike the Camaro above. This does increase the appearance you are objecting to, but as Carl says you are still behind the centerline. In the Jag it doesn't because of the stretched out wheelbase.

E-Type

Jim

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
FWIW, from a discussion on the Solstice forum with a GM engineer, the rear little turn up spoiler adds a couple of mph to top end but has no significant effect at legal speeds. The Solstice convertible tops out at 143 mph, while the smoother coupe hits 148 mph. GM opted for good looks (which sell cars) over aerodynamics, so the theoretical top speed suffered. The analytical Germans designed my Z4M coupe to be aerodynamic regardless of style, and with similar power to weight, it tops out a bit above 170 mph. We only know this because the Germans, being literalists, complied with US Federal requirements by limiting 6th gear but leaving 5th unlimited. 8,000 rpm in 5th is about 170 mph!

Looking for aero info I came across an old thread on my Jamaican build. I'd thought of adding a nose spoiler to it to offset potential lift at speed. Had a TR-6 spoiler reprofiled to fit the car and everything. Then someone far better than me at computer pictures added one to the picture of the car (it was gold back then). That decided me against it as the resemblance to a Datsun 240Z was a bit to striking.

PS - Jim, the aero effect of the nose was what prompted Jaguar to create the long nose version of the D type!

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 10:02 AM by bills.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
So, we need more front overhang? This will give ya a bit more. grinning smiley

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Always lusted after an E-Type but now sadly most good ones are way out of my reach. Plus when I sat in one recently I was quite disappointed, not a comfortable driving position for me.

Currently looking for a Midget or a Maita for "Mrs Limey", unfortunately (he he he) due to the enlarged transmission tunnel in my car the seat can't be moved too far forward so she can't reach the pedals. She wants a little convertible for the occasional drive to work or the stores, she will still use her new Beetle 1.8 Turbo for most commutes. What would you guys recommend.

In reply to # 3627375 by V8MGBV8 Good time to yield to Mrs. Limey, Michael. grinning smiley

Do not compare any car you like to an E-Type. Seriously. Not much in the automotive world looks any sexier.

Look at the the MGB profile & find the center between the wheels. You will see that the the driver is to the rear of halfway between the wheels. Not as exaggerated as an E-type or BMW Z, but so what. Maybe you need a Caterham 7. winking smiley

Here is an example of a long nose/short deck Pony car. Notice that, like your B, the driver sits just to the rear of center.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3627403 by limey222 Always lusted after an E-Type but now sadly most good ones are way out of my reach. Plus when I sat in one recently I was quite disappointed, not a comfortable driving position for me.

Yes, sitting in the drivers seat of an E-Type ruined my dream. Not that I could afford one, anyway.

As for Mrs. Limey, supercharged NC Miata or BMW Z3 M.

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
looking for an inexpensive convertible for her. Presently have a 92 Miata we are looking at and a 79 low mileage Midget in excellent condidtion.

In reply to # 3627431 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3627403 by limey222 Always lusted after an E-Type but now sadly most good ones are way out of my reach. Plus when I sat in one recently I was quite disappointed, not a comfortable driving position for me.

Yes, sitting in the drivers seat of an E-Type ruined my dream. Not that I could afford one, anyway.

As for Mrs. Limey, supercharged NC Miata or BMW Z3 M.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
The Miata is going to be the better choice simply because it's less likely to let her down on one of her drives. Have that happen a few times and the car will become a thing of abuse.

Jim

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Miata, no question !

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, Ct, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
Here is Bills car with spoiler in action...

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
If one wants to add some overhang, one could extend just the grill, and make it look more like a
Ferrari.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Or do a Superbird front end

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Personally I do not like the front end on superbirds and daytonas, because they have too much overhang. But I have only seen pictures. I think the best way to deal with this issue, would be to lengthen the wheel base. That way one gets a longer front end, it would be a subtle not in your face look, as well as far less clearance issues when doing an engine swap.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster