AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
I seen it on Ebay for around $160, comes gel coated and is held in place by two fasteners.
I know it probably doesn't contribute much but what do you all think of the look on a modded MGB
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fiberglass-Rear-Deck-Spoiler-MGB-Roadster-1963-80-Made-in-UK/171842211681?fits=Model%3AMGB&hash=item2802980f61:g:nsIAAOSwT6pVkgrd&vxp=mtr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 04:57 PM by limey222.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Got a link or a picture??

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
I expect that it looks a lot better when painted the same color as the car.
I have that really nice fiberglass air dam spoiler on the front from the UK painted the same color and it looks good and works.
Prior to installing it the front end used to feel really light above 95mph. I think the rear spoiler will just finish off the look and if it contributes so much the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 05:10 PM by limey222.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
s-l275.jpg    12.3 KB
s-l275.jpg

IMG_1466.JPG    64.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
s-l1600.jpg    49.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rficalora Avatar
rficalora Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
Didn't Bill have one on his orange roadster? I liked it on his car but I don't recall the one he used being as curved as the pics above suggest.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Looks horrid on an Rbb. Then again anything looks horrid on an rbbwinking smiley

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Totally agree, much nicer on a CB

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: Didn't Bill have one on his orange roadster?...

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BillGuzman.htm

Sure did....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 11:09 PM by ex-tyke.

Attachments:
Bill Guzman rear spoiler.jpg    33.2 KB
Bill Guzman rear spoiler.jpg

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
It won't add any downforce. There was a test done in the early 70's (by Hot Rod I think) of all the production spoilers then offered. The only ones that actually did anything at all were the inverted wing spoilers being offered on the GTO, the 442. and of course the Superbird. The problem is that it is in dirty air, already made turbulent by the rear roofline, and it's even worse with the top down. To do anything it needs to be a foot above the deck at least. The GTO and 442 had a more sloped roofline and it was twice as far away. They were able to generate 80lbs of downforce at the test speed IIRC.

So it's really just a race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 09:05 AM by Jim Blackwood.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Okay, I'll say it. IMO, it absolutely ruins the lines of the rear of the car.

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Umm.....not sure if I agree, I had a luggage rack on mine and i thought that way about it (spoiled the look). IMHO I think they look better on older MG's from the 40's and 50's. The MG roadster has a more modern but still classic look so I removed my luggage rack. Put snap-in plastic plugs that are almost undetectable from 20 feet and painted them the same color as the car. That way I can easily re-install the rack if I really need it in the future. I basically like the look on the car without the rack, but sometime I feel that the trunk looks a little too long in relation to the front from a design perspective and a spoiler might break up the lines a little. I like the look of the one on Bill Guzman's Orange car. I guess I'm still undecided.

In reply to # 3625816 by V8MGBV8 Okay, I'll say it. IMO, it absolutely ruins the lines of the rear of the car.

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
In reply to # 3625702 by Jim Blackwood It won't add any downforce. There was a test done in the early 70's (by Hot Rod I think) of all the production spoilers then offered. The only ones that actually did anything at all were the inverted wing spoilers being offered on the GTO, the 442. and of course the Superbird. The problem is that it is in dirty air, already made turbulent by the rear roofline, and it's even worse with the top down. To do anything it needs to be a foot above the deck at least. The GTO and 442 had a more sloped roofline and it was twice as far away. They were able to generate 80lbs of downforce at the test speed IIRC.

So it's really just a race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Jim

Would the same apply if one fitted the same MGB spoiler above to a BGT? Would the aero on a GT with the solid roof and slopping back make it work?

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Who knows? Hot Rod didn't think the ones on Mustangs and Camaros did anything so I wouldn't think so though.

Jim

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Would the same apply if one fitted the same MGB spoiler above to a BGT? Would the aero on a GT with the solid roof and slopping back make it work?"

Well FWIW I bought one of these just for the fun of it; bought to length for the roof and IDC if it's not practical! I'll paint it body colour.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, Massachusetts, USA   USA
X2 on what Jim has been posting, but visually, I REALLY like it a whole lot on a chrome bumper car, just finishes things off beautifully. Probably best be saved for another post/thread, but it would well be worth it to pursue what Jim is posting. Just what aero-effects WOULD be effective on a street/occasionally track driven MG? I would dearly be interested in this sort of information. Rob—

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Not a fan - look like Hell on any MG. Be cheaper to put a sticker on the back bumper that said "I Have Absolutely No Taste"

Same result either way.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster