Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

321craybutton Joey P
Northwood, ohio, USA   USA
hello,

I have a 1974 MGB, it is the chrome body. In the future I intend to replace the 4 banger with a Ford 302 Windsor that I slowly restoring. I know that Mantell Motorsports has kits but I was unable to find other company's that sell kits. Are there any that come to mind? thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rficalora Avatar
rficalora Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
Pete's kit is great. The only other "kit" I'm aware of is fastcarsinc.com. They have a replacement front crossmember that you can get with Ford 302 mounts and trans crossmember. They also sell the headers (same headers as Pete's I think but am not 100% sure).

321craybutton Joey P
Thank you, and I agree Pete's kit does seem like the best option, least between the two. Its good to know what's out there though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
I thought that Pete M Motorsports kit was only for the rubber bumper cars. On the web site they state that a kit for the chrome bumper cars is in the works. Not sure if it is available yet.

Cheers NP.

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Classic conversions has a bolt on kit for the 302 either chrome bumper or rubber bumper
Does not include headers.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: Does not include headers
AFAIK, only FastCars Inc has off the shelf headers for the MGB/SBF conversion.
http://www.fastcarsinc.com/

rficalora Avatar
rficalora Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
Bill - I thought you had motor mounts, but when I looked on your web site, I didn't see them. Did I miss them?

Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
I cannot find any information on the web regarding a 302 V8 conversion offered through Classic Conversions. Nothing on the website either. Am I missing something too?

321craybutton Joey P
What is the major differences between the rubber bumper and the chrome? I thought it was just a front clip and an exhaust change...

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
In reply to # 3613717 by 321craybutton What is the major differences between the rubber bumper and the chrome? I thought it was just a front clip and an exhaust change...

Firewall / heater shelf shape, front cross-member to sump clearance ( if using stock front cross-member ), and radiator location are the biggest differences.

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
The single biggest difference in terms of conversions is that the RB crossmember is spaced down an inch, raising the body to comply with bumper height regs. This gives more hood clearance and also changes the steering rack location. Extra firewall clearance was provided for the V8 and the radiator moved forward for the same reason. CB crossmember can be used on RB cars but requires a change to steering shaft length.

Jim

1744 Avatar
California, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
In reply to # 3613622 by Walrus1954 I cannot find any information on the web regarding a 302 V8 conversion offered through Classic Conversions. Nothing on the website either. Am I missing something too?

We have the V8 302 kit. Unfortunally is not on the web. But it will be soon.

I will be adding instructions on how to modify the cross member and a template for the Chrome Bumper car firewall section on how to cut it to fit the V8.

Member Services:
302V8 Avatar
302V8 Pete Mantell
Sidney, IL, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB
1969 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Xenia"
1969 MG MGC GT
1969 MG MGC GT "Foxy"    & more
In reply to # 3613472 by Walrus1954 I thought that Pete M Motorsports kit was only for the rubber bumper cars. On the web site they state that a kit for the chrome bumper cars is in the works. Not sure if it is available yet.

Cheers NP.

Our kits work with all years of MGB's chrome or rubber bumper.
As mentioned above, chrome bumpered MGB's will need the firewall changed to 1974.5-1980 specs.
Here is a great example of a 1974 MGB GT chrome bumper with my kit.
Mike Alexander's GT.
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/MikeAlexander3.htm

Our website will be updated soon to reflect our new products, kits and services. (I am still working on the web upgrades)

If you have any questions about my kit, feel free to email, call or visit the shop.

Cheers

Pete

69 B 302 V8 - 78 B 215 V8 - 80 B 302 V8 - 58 ZB Magnette - 69 CGT 9004 - 69 CGT 7666

http://www.mantellmotorsport.com/

mgb4tim Avatar
mgb4tim Tim N
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"
In reply to # 3617874 by 1744
We have the V8 302 kit. Unfortunally is not on the web. But it will be soon.

I will be adding instructions on how to modify the cross member and a template for the Chrome Bumper car firewall section on how to cut it to fit the V8.

Give us a nod when it's updated!

~Tim

morSpeedPerformance@gmail.com

1744 Avatar
California, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
This is our kit. I may add headers in the future.
Our kit is a bolt on and adjustable for correct pinion angle. Working on how to modify the cross member instructions with pictures.

Engine sets low in the engine bay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 12:40 AM by 1744.

Member Services:

Attachments:
V8 mounting kit 003.jpg    24.1 KB
V8 mounting kit 003.jpg

V8 Motor Mount Project 010.jpg    32 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster