MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

1961 Buick 215 engine & T5 1352-072 transmission from GM 1985 Camaro/Firebird 5.0 V8

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Blockmom Avatar
Blockmom Chuck Anderson
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Bella"
Hi

I have a 1961 Buick 215 engine. I am considering installing a T5 1352-072 transmission from GM 1985 Camaro/Firebird 5.0 V8.
Has anyone used this combination? Are there any common issues to look out for?

Thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
T-5 Transmission Application Chart - short list.pdf    143.5 KB

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Pretty popular combo, should work good!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
A Buick 215 mated to a Camaro T-5 had been done many, many times. Your T-5 is not a World Class T-5, but that really makes no difference for you application. That tranny will do nicely with your stock B rearend.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John Hamilton Avatar
Laurel Hill, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Good combo, but the stock 3.90 gear is too much for the street.

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Why ? With a .63 5th gear it yields an effective rear gear ratio in 5th of 2.46
2100rpm at 72mph
In reply to # 3606310 by John Hamilton Good combo, but the stock 3.90 gear is too much for the street.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3606444 by ohlord Why ? With a .63 5th gear it yields an effective rear gear ratio in 5th of 2.46...

In reply to # 3606310 by John Hamilton Good combo, but the stock 3.90 gear is too much for the street.

That combo has worked fine for me for the last 16+ years. thumbs up

John Hamilton Avatar
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Isn't 1st gear all but useless? Drag racing maybe, but for the street I'd prefer a 3.50:1.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
John, The Camaro V8 T5 has the 2.95 first. Makes a more useable first. I think you are confusing it with the V6 t5 that has a 3.75 first.

John Hamilton Avatar
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Yep, V8 T-5 does have better gear ratios. And a 0.63 overdrive will make interstate cruising very comfortable.

v8mgb Avatar
v8mgb Silver Member Jlm Miller
Saint Joseph, Michigan, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I am using the same setup with the original MG 3.90 differential and stock brakes. No problems. It's a good combination of power and highway cruise.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimMiller.htm

pjkbrit Avatar
pjkbrit Peter Kelly
Bedford Hills, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 3608459 by v8mgb I am using the same setup with the original MG 3.90 differential and stock brakes. No problems. It's a good combination of power and highway cruise.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimMiller.htm

X2...I have a newer T5 with my 3.9 Rover but the ratios are the same. Actually first gear is fine and very usable off the line...the 0.63 is definitely an overdrive even with the 3.9 rear end. It suits the vehicle well but I DO think a slightly higher 4th gear would be be nice as it's a big gap between 4th and 5th. Still....with a light car and tons of torque it really doesn't matter!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3608696 by pjkbrit

. Actually first gear is fine and very usable off the line...the 0.63 is definitely an overdrive even with the 3.9 rear end. It suits the vehicle well but I DO think a slightly higher 4th gear would be be nice as it's a big gap between 4th and 5th.

Yes, it is. That is why the stock rear gears can work on the Interstate. If I ever get around to swapping in another rearend, I would use the 3:50 gears that John H. suggested & convert my .63 5th to a .73. to close up that 4th to 5th gap a bit.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster