AutoShrine Sponsor

Mark Vaughan Avatar
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "Ginger"
1972 MG MGB "Mary Ann"
1977 Datsun 280Z
2004 Honda S2000
Hey gang,

I've been proceeding under the assumption that I would need to move the radiator forward of the sway bar on my 3.4 project, but just wanted to check in with the experts before I start cutting into the "shelf".

I have a chrome bumper car, and the commonly-used early Mustang radiator.

Can the radiator be mounted behind the sway bar?

Thanks in advance...

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
I moved my aftermarket Aluminum radiator at least 1-3/4" forward. I discard the factory "ears" radiator mounts and fabricated new ones out of 1/4" aluminum to suit, adding 1-1/2" spacers. I obviously had to cut the sheet metal shelf to accommodate. Had no problems with the sway bar either. Still had plenty of room to a big Spal pusher electric fan too.

mstasse michael stasse
No Cal, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I moved my Mustang radiator forward also, cutting the shelf and reinforcing with a skid plate that the radiator drops into. 2 new holes in the valance provide air at the bottom/ Radiator is slanted back with plenty of room for condenser and Volvo fan. Didn't like the idea of the radiator bottom that low without protection. Doesn't overheat under any conditions, highway or stop and go with the AC and over a 100 deg.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
CAM00654.jpg    52 KB
CAM00654.jpg

CAM00655.jpg    37.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CAM00656.jpg    47.4 KB
IMG_2521.JPG    48.6 KB
Mark Vaughan Avatar
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "Ginger"
1972 MG MGB "Mary Ann"
1977 Datsun 280Z
2004 Honda S2000
Thanks for the pics Michael... interesting "skid plate".

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I also am using the early mustang rad, and I figure to tilt the rad. I am wondering if there is a limit to how far one can tilt a rad and still have it work properly.

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
For instance when a rad is straight up and down the wind hits it square, to pass through the holes. But when one tilts it the wind will hit it at an angle, so would one have to install baffles to redirect the wind to hit the rad at a more 90* angle?

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: But when one tilts it the wind will hit it at an angle, so would one have to install baffles to redirect the wind to hit the rad at a more 90* angle?
Having ram air hit the core at an angle actually aids heat transfer and therefore improves cooling.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
I personally use the late model style MGB Radiator (1980) with factory type mounting panels that bolt straight into the earlier MGBs without issue. It makes the car look 'MG' when done, but that means something to me personally- to keep the MG as close to what the factory had, just various model years and easier to repair or determine what was used by the next care-taker-10, 30 or 50 years from now.

If you are using an alternative, determine the bracketry to hold it, the location forward or rearward and hoses, fan and so on. Fit it and give it a good mount. I think there is a time penalty to build a generic system but the overall cost if the time, tools and talent are on hand, will have savings. Also, it is not common to see a tilted radiator in an MGB but I'm sure there must be a few around and don't see why it cannot be done.

-BMC

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, florida, USA   USA
Michael S,
What fan are you using? Push or pull? Electric fan? What temps on & off.

I ask because my 3.4 gets to 225 degrees in traffic but never higher and I would like to get it down about 10 degrees.
Runs all day on the highway at 195 or less. Have a puller 16 inch fan with shroud.
Was thinking about adding a 10 inch pusher to see if that would do any good. Thoughts?

cstrong45 Avatar
cstrong45 Silver Member Charles Strong
Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA   USA
In reply to # 3581930 by GMATS Michael S,
What fan are you using? Push or pull? Electric fan? What temps on & off.

I ask because my 3.4 gets to 225 degrees in traffic but never higher and I would like to get it down about 10 degrees.
Runs all day on the highway at 195 or less. Have a puller 16 inch fan with shroud.
Was thinking about adding a 10 inch pusher to see if that would do any good. Thoughts?

I have a Mustang rad that does exactly what yours does, when in traffic. I am using the GM EFI and they let the motor run to 225 before starting the fan, its not overheating, its more a get used to it thing. My Corvette LS runs at 220 all the time. Not a problem. If you want to get it lower and your using EFI then you need an alternate way to turn the fan on or have BMC reset your ECM to a lower temp.

cstrong45 Avatar
In reply to # 3573359 by Richardtherodder I also am using the early mustang rad, and I figure to tilt the rad. I am wondering if there is a limit to how far one can tilt a rad and still have it work properly.

Mine has a slight tilt and it works great.

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, florida, USA   USA
I'm running a 390 cfm Holly & a dizzy. I kind of know it is okay but when I am standing at a long stoplight and I watch the temp go from 190 to 225 I get a little anxious and keep talking to the light --" what the F#4k !!! Change already, PLEASE!!

I know it won't start boiling over but I have also read that if it goes above 227 you are now on the edge as far as hurting your engine's longevity. So my thinking is if I can keep it no higher than 220 I am helping the engine and keeping my anxiety level down. It is even worse because when I drive my 65 Mustang I can sit in traffic all day and the temp never gets higher than 195. The electric fans go on for 10 or 15 seconds tops when I park it but the MG's fan sometimes will run for 3 - 5 minutes.

So do I need to do something with the car or just readjust my head?

Townsend, Tennessee, USA   USA
Aluminum Mustang radiator, Volvo fan (set on low speed only), and metal shroud, mounted upright several inches forward of stock on my chrome bumper GT. Even with A/C on, it hasn't gone past 190 degrees yet.

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

Attachments:
GT Radiator-2.jpg    79.1 KB
GT Radiator-2.jpg

GT Radiator.jpg    72.4 KB
mstasse michael stasse
No Cal, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Pick n Pull Volvo fan controlled by the PCM. I also used the shroud/housing from the Volvo with sheet metal adapters from the radiator to the shroud. Mine comes on at 210. 102d here yesterday driving with the AC on in stop and go traffic no problem. It is also at a fairly good tilt directing the air at an angle below the engine bay. Can't help but think this helps.

cstrong45 Avatar
In reply to # 3582049 by GMATS I'm running a 390 cfm Holly & a dizzy. I kind of know it is okay but when I am standing at a long stoplight and I watch the temp go from 190 to 225 I get a little anxious and keep talking to the light --" what the F#4k !!! Change already, PLEASE!!

I know it won't start boiling over but I have also read that if it goes above 227 you are now on the edge as far as hurting your engine's longevity. So my thinking is if I can keep it no higher than 220 I am helping the engine and keeping my anxiety level down. It is even worse because when I drive my 65 Mustang I can sit in traffic all day and the temp never gets higher than 195. The electric fans go on for 10 or 15 seconds tops when I park it but the MG's fan sometimes will run for 3 - 5 minutes.

So do I need to do something with the car or just readjust my head?

Roger Tanners suggests the following

http://www.cjponyparts.com/painless-performance-electric-fan-relay-replacement-temperature-sender-200-180/p/TFS2/?utm_source=Shopping_Com&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EbayCommerceNetwork

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster