AutoShrine Sponsor

Mark Vaughan Avatar
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "Ginger"
1972 MG MGB "Mary Ann"
1977 Datsun 280Z
2004 Honda S2000
Hey gang,

I've been proceeding under the assumption that I would need to move the radiator forward of the sway bar on my 3.4 project, but just wanted to check in with the experts before I start cutting into the "shelf".

I have a chrome bumper car, and the commonly-used early Mustang radiator.

Can the radiator be mounted behind the sway bar?

Thanks in advance...

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
I moved my aftermarket Aluminum radiator at least 1-3/4" forward. I discard the factory "ears" radiator mounts and fabricated new ones out of 1/4" aluminum to suit, adding 1-1/2" spacers. I obviously had to cut the sheet metal shelf to accommodate. Had no problems with the sway bar either. Still had plenty of room to a big Spal pusher electric fan too.

mstasse michael stasse
No Cal, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I moved my Mustang radiator forward also, cutting the shelf and reinforcing with a skid plate that the radiator drops into. 2 new holes in the valance provide air at the bottom/ Radiator is slanted back with plenty of room for condenser and Volvo fan. Didn't like the idea of the radiator bottom that low without protection. Doesn't overheat under any conditions, highway or stop and go with the AC and over a 100 deg.

Attachments:
CAM00654.jpg    52 KB
CAM00654.jpg

CAM00655.jpg    37.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CAM00656.jpg    47.4 KB
IMG_2521.JPG    48.6 KB
Mark Vaughan Avatar
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "Ginger"
1972 MG MGB "Mary Ann"
1977 Datsun 280Z
2004 Honda S2000
Thanks for the pics Michael... interesting "skid plate".

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I also am using the early mustang rad, and I figure to tilt the rad. I am wondering if there is a limit to how far one can tilt a rad and still have it work properly.

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
For instance when a rad is straight up and down the wind hits it square, to pass through the holes. But when one tilts it the wind will hit it at an angle, so would one have to install baffles to redirect the wind to hit the rad at a more 90* angle?

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: But when one tilts it the wind will hit it at an angle, so would one have to install baffles to redirect the wind to hit the rad at a more 90* angle?
Having ram air hit the core at an angle actually aids heat transfer and therefore improves cooling.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
I personally use the late model style MGB Radiator (1980) with factory type mounting panels that bolt straight into the earlier MGBs without issue. It makes the car look 'MG' when done, but that means something to me personally- to keep the MG as close to what the factory had, just various model years and easier to repair or determine what was used by the next care-taker-10, 30 or 50 years from now.

If you are using an alternative, determine the bracketry to hold it, the location forward or rearward and hoses, fan and so on. Fit it and give it a good mount. I think there is a time penalty to build a generic system but the overall cost if the time, tools and talent are on hand, will have savings. Also, it is not common to see a tilted radiator in an MGB but I'm sure there must be a few around and don't see why it cannot be done.

-BMC

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster