AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dhen Avatar
dhen Darian Henderson
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA Conversion "Mater"
Hi,

My MGA has a headlight out. I was thinking about getting something that looked stock but is much brighter. The halogen lights look nice but they don't really help a lot.

My understanding is that all old cars had 7" headlights. Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H6024-6014-Crystal-Glass-Metal-Headlight-CREE-SMD-360-LED-Light-Bulb-Headlamp-/332022930176?hash=item4d4e1bdb00:g:4MQAAOSwZJBYAbT-&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Inch-Chrome-Projector-Hi-Lo-LED-Headlight-Light-Lamp-For-Harley-Jeep-Wrangler/361998399633?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44759%26meid%3D717f18a73edc46e4b1306b546e37141f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D322250643024

Thanks,

Darian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 09:39 PM by dhen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Hella DOT approved H4 are very good , you can upgrade with Piaa bulbs . Chinese LED are crap , horrible beam pattern etc , etc

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
British Columbia, Canada   CAN
If one uses a relay with their H4s, they are brighter. I did this system in my truck and they work great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Agree with Richard - if you don't upgrade the existing H/L wiring with a relay, you're wasting your money.
Moss sells a relay kit for about 35 bucks!...it'll really wake up your existing headlights.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
We recently put H4- style LED bulbs into 7" Cibie H4 headlamps as a test.

The light output was acceptable but the pattern was poor. There was little difference between high an low beam as both simply projected big fuzzy blobs of light rather than sharp cutoff beams.

Oncoming cars would be blinded by the scattered glare. Performance in fog or rain would be questionable.

We cannot recommend any that we have tested.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
dhen Avatar
dhen Darian Henderson
I'm a little confused. With the relay kit help with the existing halogen lights or if I upgrade to some LED lights? Or both?

I understood what you're saying that a relay helps, but I don't understand how. Do I have to use the special Moss kit or could I just go down to the junkyard and get my own relay.?

Thanks

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
The relays will ensure full voltage gets to the lights.

LEDs are a different style of bulb that may not perform as well as a regular incandescent.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: The relays will ensure full voltage gets to the lights...

thumbs up....... The original MG wiring is archaic and has an inherent voltage drop built in.......full voltage means brighter light output.

dhen Avatar
dhen Darian Henderson
In reply to # 3550213 by Mustangsix The relays will ensure full voltage gets to the lights.

LEDs are a different style of bulb that may not perform as well as a regular incandescent.

Can I use any relay?

After some more research it looks like these would work. Are the Xenon bulb sizes universal?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ipc-cwc-7006/recommendedparts

Here is a full set:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395801/overview/

Thanks,

Darian

The relay I used in my truck was simply a 5 point relay that I got from the local auto parts store. I originally went with a relay to save the switch, one puts the relay after the switch.

Jim Lema Avatar
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Just get a set of Hella E-Code H4 headlights. Link: Hella

Add a headlight relay kit from Advance Auto Wire, he also makes wiring for MGB's. Advanced Auto Wire

Spend a day installing and then you will see as well as you need to in these old cars.

I noticed that the Moss headlight kit uses two relays, but I only used one and it works fine.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Even among the E-code headlights some are better than others, and Hella apparently went on a campaign to remove the competition. Or maybe it was Cibie. They seem to be about the same. One site in particular which once offered unbiased comparisons now is a Hella champion. Or a Cibie champion. Point is he sold out and I no longer trust his advice. Don't get me wrong, they are good lights and have been around a long time, but in terms of optics unless they have improved they are not the best, or even the best at a reasonable price point. They are simply the most common. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of the brand that I bought almost15 years back and they do not appear to be marked. But I undoubtedly wrote posts about them either here, or more likely on BritishV8 so it should be possible to discover that information. The optics are very, very good. These are a nearly flat faced lens but shortly afterwards this manufacturer began selling a curved face lens which looks better with the MGB. I use a bubble type lens protector though which helps with the appearance and with rocks. The price was competitive with Hella and the optics were better.

E-code H4 halogen bulbs are manufactured to meet rather stringent standards and as such have significant uniformity, unlike the LED headlights presently flooding the market. With the LED lights I don't know what standards there are but either they appear to be greatly relaxed or a lot of manufacturers are ignoring them. The resulting selection is stuffed with worthless junk and finding valid and reliable comparisons is very difficult. But the difference is that the H4 market is very mature and has been refined to the point that the worst bulb is still pretty good, and the best is fantastic. The LED market is brand new and largely unregulated and as a result most of what is out there really isn't very good at all. Things have been further confused by the entry of HID and projector headlights, again less well regulated and refined than the halogen market, the result of which has been a general decline in the effectiveness of headlights. There are good ones out there of every type, but it's a lot like Russian Roulette unless you spend an inordinate amount of time researching the available products. Even then, information like beam pattern and intensity which used to be common metrics of performance are difficult to uncover or non-existent.

I'd give the LED lights at least another 5 years to mature, 10 would be better. For now the H4 is still the safest selection.

Jim

Here is a site that might be useful:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?421582-End-is-Near-for-Halogen-Headlights

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 11:35 AM by Jim Blackwood.

Jim Lema Avatar
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Jim
I did see sites that said Hella was the best and other sites that claimed Cibie was the best. I didn't see any sites that claimed Lucas headlights were the best.

Darian
If you are keeping the stock wiring in your car the best relay kit is the one from Advanced Autowire. They understand British cars.

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
On a different car in the early 90's (A Ford Capri, 4 x 53/4" headlights ), I ran Cibie H4 Hi/Lows and Marchal H1 Highs. 80/55W Osram H4 bulbs for the Cibie and 100W H1's for the Marchals. Lots of late nite desert travel in northern Nevada.

These lights painted the landscape, with VERY distinct cutoff patterns. If i killed the H1's, and ran on high H4,s it didn't particularly phase oncoming traffic. I was running a 43 amp alternator, and would run my battery down to the point i couldn't re-start after 6-7 hours of running these photon torpedoes.

But they were good. Beyond good.

The auto industry has an incentive to move to LED's. Remember that 54.5mpg target by 2025 proffered by the last administration (US fuel economy targets)? Ever wonder how they plan to get there? Remember the GuvMnt doesn't actually measure fuel consumption, they measure tailipe gasses and determine fuel consumption from that. Don't meet the required economy numbers? buy some CO2 credits by installing a more efficient part on you're car that's inoperative during emissions testing.

In my own case, i work in automotive HVAC design. Nede a little boost in fuel economy? No problem- replace R134a refrigerant systems with R1234yf systems. Need some more? replace that dinosaur 250 w brush type blower motor with a PWM brush motor, or if you need more, step up to a brushless (blower motors dump excess power as heat when they are running at less then full blast.) How about you run full reirc rather than bringing in hot and humid outside air? These are part of the games that the feds play with to reduce CO2 emissions. Note I am not being critical of the practice, i just recognize it's gaming the system. A game set up by the regulators.

And LED's are a similar deal, burn incandescent lights, you get fewer CO2 credit than LED's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 04:49 PM by twentyover.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster