Sketchup model of a spridget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
It is looking more and more like I will be doing an engine swap in one of my spridgets. To see how different engines might fit I decided to do a model of the engine bay in Google Sketchup. I will then go junkyard scourging to get measurements of different engine/transmissions and model those. I can then insert a particular engine/transmission to see how it fits.
My engine bay model is not done yet. Still have some things to add. Attached are some images of what I have done so far. When I get it done I will share the actual model so that anybody with Sketchup can use it for their projects. If anybody has an engine/ transmission that they could give me the dimensions of I would appreciate that. Engines I am currently considering are Ford 2.3l lima out of a ford ranger, Toyota 20R comes in many different models. And Toyota 4ac and 4age.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
spridget engine bay 001.jpg    9.4 KB
spridget engine bay 001.jpg

spridget engine bay 002.jpg    12.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
There are cell phone apps that turn your phone into a 3D scanner. Might be the easy button to fit square peg in round hole.

mickri Chuck Losness
That would require a smart phone and I have a dumb phone. Doing the sketchup model is not difficult or time consuming. I am very familiar with sketchup and for me at least it is a very easy program to use.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mickri Chuck Losness
Found the dimensions for a toyota 4age with a w50 5 speed transmission. So I did a model of the engine and then inserted it into my engine bay model. The 4age fits with minimal surgery to the crossmember and trans tunnel. I would actually prefer the 4ac which is a SOHC vs the 4age which is a DOHC. The narrower 4ac SOHC head should make routing the exhaust header easier and its stock 90hp is more than sufficient for my needs. Depending on carburation or EFI surgery might also be needed to the passenger side footwell. This is how I intend to use my engine bay model to try different engines and transmissions to see how they fit.

Need to get the dimensions for the toyota 20R and the ranger 2.3. Those are my other two first choices for an engine.

Attachments:
spridget engine bay with 4age 001.jpg    11.1 KB
spridget engine bay with 4age 001.jpg

spridget engine bay with 4age 002.jpg    8.5 KB
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Hi Chuck
Good idea using that software although it doesn't take into consideration all the odd shapes that tend to be all around an engine . I know your just looking for the basic dimensions , I basically did the same for my swap but used the actual car

Attachments:
IMG_1980.JPG    43.2 KB
IMG_1980.JPG

mickri Chuck Losness
I will also make a wood mockup like you did when I finally decide on an engine/transmission. I will use the mockup to make engine mounts, trans mounts, etc.
The dimensions that I found for the 4age were just the basic dimensions. When I go junkyard searching for dimensions I will include all of the pieces that stick out from the engine in my model. Especially the starter and the clutch throw out cylinder. It is easy to add all of this stuff in Sketchup. I could even model the exhaust header and intake manifold with carb to get an idea on how those effect the fit of the engine. Sketchup has a data base filled with all kinds of stuff you can include in a model. I plan to look there to see if anybody has already modeled any engines.

AZ, USA   USA
I just used cardboard for a basic sizing to make sure it would be doable then I got an actual engine to make mounts and cut out what needed to be removed . I would definitely suggest using a real engine for mock up , having done several swaps and custom builds of all kinds I only use the actual parts that are going into the build . You never know what's different .... just my .02

Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
I use foam engine blocks when doing V8 swaps. They are the cat's pj's for this kind of work. That said, I only see them for domestic V8 engines.

AZ, USA   USA
I've used the plastic mock up blocks , very nice because they are light weight and have threaded bolt holes . your right about the limited selection. I like Chucks software idea but nothing is more accurate than the real thing .
In reply to # 3512985 by Perambulator I use foam engine blocks when doing V8 swaps. They are the cat's pj's for this kind of work. That said, I only see them for domestic V8 engines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 09:10 PM by nonracer.

racermike Michael Koegel
Corpus christi, Texas, USA   USA
I'm running a Nissan sr20de in my 70 midget this thing is an animal

Attachments:
IMG_2796.JPG    46.9 KB
IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG    52.4 KB
IMG_2798.JPG    43.8 KB
ranger240 Avatar
ranger240 M K
province, province, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514799 by racermike I'm running a Nissan sr20de in my 70 midget this thing is an animal

Aren't those front sump? 140hp instead of 60hp stock must be fun.

Its too bad a DET wouldn't fit, though 200+hp might be a bit too much.

mickri Chuck Losness
Michael that is one nice looking swap. Does the engine fit under the hood or did you have to add a bubble to the hood.. Looks like you have close to a full tube frame too. That should make for a very stiff car. Good job.

racermike Michael Koegel
Corpus christi, Texas, USA   USA
Yes it does fit the engine is converted from fuel injection to twin 45 Webers the dizzy is a Frankenstein creation it uses the Nissan dizzy base with a vw 009 housing with no advance I take care of the advance with the CB Performance black box timing module for timing curves that are fully customizable. The chassis is a mixture of stock and tube. The trans tunnel was changed to make room for the Nissan 5 speed . Stock rear end with a lsd diff hardened axles traction bars and a pan hard bar dual bearing rear hubs big brake kit for the front brakes fuel cell in the trunk with the battery tube shock conversion front and rear with PAX shocks the car is an animal i am running a speed hut tach and gps speedometer the speedometer has a quarter mile function as well as a 0-60 function 0-60 is 3.8 sec with lots of tire spin and it's street legal just have to watch for bumps in the road

Here is a video of it at auto cross I need some slicks very badly

Attachments:
IMG_2799.JPG    70.2 KB
IMG_2799.JPG

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
And to think I did it the old-fashioned way:

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Mike, Nice! You should go to BritishV8 and do a " How it was done" thread.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster