AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
of this car; it belongs/ed to Matt Burrog. There was a a pictorial essay I found but I lost it and as yet Google hasn't found it - can you? A link will be fine. (Google can't find the link under the pic either.)

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 06:37 AM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mstemp Avatar
mstemp Silver Member Mike Stemp
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Try again. Link under the cars profile works fine for me.

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
yes barrie the link you sent us to has a link under the pic to rolling chassis. awesome pictures of the car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
You mean the rollingclassics link? It's not hot so how much of it do I copy and paste in Google? I've tried a couple of options but Google just says Oops!

Just tried again with www.rollingclassics.us/2015/12/1970-mg-mgb-gt-restomod and rollingclassics says page does not exist

Ok got it with a bit of a workaround here

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 07:49 AM by MGB567.

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Worked for me, too! I can see why you'd want to open this file - beautifully executed car.
http://www.rollingclassics.us/2015/12/1970-mg-mgb-gt-restomod_3.html#more

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks Graham - I got it just before you linked. I want the pics because although I'm not building a replica that's what I want to end up with only thus far I'm told by my authorities I can't. I want to go see my engineer who will ok the build for the road when finished and see if there's a way to achieve it. I don't know how our hot rod guys get their's through and it's not as though you can tub a MGB. IYI our authorities are tough with track increase and spacers are outlawed so filling the flares becomes an exercise in itself. I have 7x15 zero offset rims but they only just extend beyond the body in stock form - I want more!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Barrie,

Yep, an exceptional conversion. Saw that pictoral in the past. Wish we had the details of that car on BritishV8.org. You may already know that Matt Burrogs is a member here as Matt B

To keep that same track width, figure out exactly how far you can go inward. Then go outward the same. I bet Matt's rear wheels are at least 8" maybe more. I believe I could get 8s under my almost stock rear wheelwell with the correct offset, so 9s would be easy with flares.

I see Matt's fuel filler hose is not legal in Oz. winking smiley

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Barrie here in OZ the Hot rod guys have their own regs , written by some very clever people in conjunction with the motor reg that specify exactly what a hot rod is and what is legal. They also have a "bible" that a builder works thru during construction. I am told that if you follow it properly you can get it ticked off as you go and be almost certain of success at the end. I am an old hot rodder myself and still like to keep in touch with a few from the old days. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits. Started on the body late 2016 and found Its a lot of work and expense starting from scratch. Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc all except the interior I have however really enjoyed this project.

MGB567 Avatar
Yeah Denis I'm really "hurting" with the compromises my DoT says it wants so I'm going to explore more how the rod guys get by. I look at some of those cars at Summernats and wonder how did they get through?

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Boy am I glad that here in Rhode Island USA we don't have anything like that. You build it safe and have the safety inspection every 2 years and you are good to go.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
No inspection here at all. Build it, tag it (or mod something already tagged), insure it, drive it. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 08:33 PM by V8MGBV8.

Burrogs Avatar
Burrogs Matt B
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
Barrie,

Sorrry I'm late to reply on this, I didn't see it until another member pointed it out to me. I'm truly flattered and I can get you some more pics if you'd like, or try to answer any questions you have to help you with your build. Those pics are older and a lot has changed/will change.

Shoot me a PM and let me know.

Matt

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks Matt & no problem - wasn't sure you were still around. I'm actually good for the moment - well not really for while I have those pics (even if you have updated) at present I haven't been able to get an ok to emulate. You might gather from my comments above my authorities have strict rules about building cars for the road. If I find a way through the maze I'll take up your offer. IDK if you still have the pillow dash but forgive me for slagging it on the main forum - I meant no harm. It's what you guys have to deal with whereas we got the steel dash right through.

Burrogs Avatar
Burrogs Matt B
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
Barrie,

I have the later 77-80 dash with glovebox and A/C vents and controls. To answer your earlier questions, I'm running 17x8 inch wheels up front (225/45/17) and 17x9.5 (255/40/17) out back with Bridgestone RE71R tires. No rubbing issues, even at full lock.

dbuster Avatar
dbuster Dusty Lanning
wagoner ok, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Whim"
Very nice Matt! How do you like the mirrors, how well can you see out of them?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster