AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I've previously written about the engine mounts I bought from TRS (below) and then I decided I would try a pair of Glen's with the objective of getting the engine as low as possible before shaving the plenum. Problem is my sump now rests on the xmember. The mounts all line up with the plates on the frame. If I go back to my TRS mounts I gain around 1/2" clearance (but the engine is raised). I could I presume put a spacer between the rails and xmember but the result would be the same. As far as I can see the sump needs modifying (my guru can do that - although we haven't checked what's in there internally) unless one of you has another idea,

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 04:05 AM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
trs mount.jpg    8.1 KB
trs mount.jpg

plenum.jpg    33.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010488.JPG    27.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mstemp Avatar
mstemp Silver Member Mike Stemp
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
As your new front crosmember is already significantly lower than a stock unit something is wrong. What is the sump out of? Deeper than a Rover SD1 version?

MGB567 Avatar
Mike IDK what the sump came from; I asked the engine supplier (the same TRS as the mounts) to supply a sump so they just sent one they had. So the sumps are not all the same on Rover V8? If that's the case I'm going to need to do some searching of shapes and see if there's one with the same bolt pattern but slightly shorter in the drop down section. I looked at Rimmers options and they seem to be either NLA or there's a "use this part" option and this one for my motor doesn't look any different to what I have (although there's no dimensions) - and not cheap to buy on spec.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 07:39 AM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
I'm not sure how much space you need to clear, but I think it would be fairly simple to modify the pan. Bolt it down to something solid to prevent any warpage, cut a section out and weld in a relief. As you point out you need to see what's inside, but I'll bet there's enough space to get you the clearance you need. Raising the engine or lowering the crossmember are both compromises I wouldn't want to make.

Ryan

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA

mstemp Avatar
mstemp Silver Member Mike Stemp
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Barrie,

That pan looks different than many I have seen. Seems to have the deeper section run further forward.
Rimmer Brothers does not seem to carry the SD1 pan but does show this one for the early versions of MGR V8. Looks to have the deepened section closer to the 3rd row of bolts. Also has a different front piece to fit a later timing cover so may not work with your setup.
I assume the FastCars piece has the crossmember part further back which is hitting your pan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 10:56 AM by mstemp.

Attachments:
ERR5220.JPG    975 bytes
ERR5220.JPG

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Just dent it in where it hits.

Jim

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
Barrie, the oil pan you show in the pic. is the BIG & HEAVY Rover 3.9/4.2 oil pan. I used this pan with my 4.8 Rover 300 Buick engine build up 25 years ago. Built a hand made oil pump pick up tube in the back off the ban & baffles with a one way baffle door & left the plate in the oil pan to help keep the oil in the bottom of the oil pan. The only way I could autocross with this oil pan was to over fill the oil pan with extra oil, would hit the brakes real hard & turn & there was no oil pressure!!!! I went back to the smaller & much lighter Rover 3500/3500S oil pan. The SD1 & TR8 pan all the oil sits in the back 1/3 of the pan. So you can find a MGB V-8 / Rover 3500 oil pan or TR8/SD1 pan or cut up & re weld you Heavy Duty oil pan.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Barrie I have a couple of early sumps, I will take some measurements plus the one in the GT Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits. Started on the body late 2016 and found Its a lot of work and expense starting from scratch. Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc all except the interior I have however really enjoyed this project.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Barrie Just measured 3 sumps (oil pans) one still on a 3500 and another I have here and both are 145mm deep and the deep part is 270mm from the front lip
The one on my GT 3.9 is different at 130mm deep and the deep part is only 200mm from the front lip. Both would work in my setup providing you used the correct oil pickup, though the one on it looks as if it was designed for the job and gives more ground clearance. Denis
If you are short any OE FI bits your welcome to the parts of my engine.

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits. Started on the body late 2016 and found Its a lot of work and expense starting from scratch. Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc all except the interior I have however really enjoyed this project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 07:35 PM by Denis.

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks Denis. Essentially I need a sump with a shorter or more shallow deep section. I'll get some measurements off mine.

By inside I meant if there was anything at the thin end on the block itself which might foul if we "modified" the front. While my guru (who's an ace fabricator) can modify it it might be best to get a different shaped sump - if that's possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 08:34 PM by MGB567.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Barrie that sump in your pic looks a lot deeper than anything I have. The one in my car is a 95 model 3.9. Must be close to the last of the 3.9 as it has the later 10 bolt heads and the pads that can be drilled for 4 bolt mains. Looks a lot shallower than yours. If you go shorter and shallower you will cut down the oil capacity. Denis.

MGB567 Avatar
"If you go shorter and shallower you will cut down the oil capacity."

Good point. According to the interweb the Chimaera had a dry sump but TRS never mentioned that so I'll have to look and see if there are two oil pumps in there. I've never had reason so far to drop the sump and as I noted TRS just gave me one. I can't find (yet) a capacity other than on the 4 litre version which is reckoned to be around 6.3 litres; it's never easy is it? If allelse fails it'll be a call to TRS who no doubt will try to sell me a dry sump kit.

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
Barrie, I tried to tell you in a polite way that the Rover big oil pan is junk! If you autocross you will lose your oil pressure, I know I did & we did the mods. to the oil pan to help me from loosing my oil pressure when I was autocrossing The oil pan was made for a TANK! think & heavy & holds too much oil that's has too much area to move around in. I bet the big pan is at least 10 lbs. heaver than the one you need. FWIW

MGB567 Avatar
I didn't miss your point Glenn. So far I haven't found any of the sumps you mention for sale but I am searching.

Denis I did measure my depth but like a fool I thought I'd remember the figure - I'll have to do it again (and check against your measurements). I've never been "involved" with dry sumps before but I now know I don't have that setup despite the interweb saying that motor was dry sumped. I still need to figure out what oil capacity I need and then try and find one that's suitable. There are a number of options to resolve my current issue; it's just determining the best.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster