AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

john73bgt Avatar
john73bgt Silver Member John Chrisler
Loma Linda, California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion "Serenity"
I'm currently using a '77 MGB radiator to cool my 3.4L V6 and find it lacking when the local air temp is above 80 degrees. When driving in town(stop n go) my engine temp reaches 230 degrees. Looking to replace it with an aluminum radiator, but know nothing about the cooling capabilities. Should I go with a 2 or 3 row or does this really make a difference. Looking for recommendations and ideas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
john73bgt Avatar
john73bgt Silver Member John Chrisler
Loma Linda, California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion "Serenity"
Also looking for a good fan and thermostatic controller, too.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
John, A lot of guys use a 64-66 Mustang radiator. A Volvo fan and controller works good.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3304208

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 10:14 AM by 260mgb.

cstrong45 Avatar
cstrong45 Silver Member Charles Strong
Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA   USA
John I used 66 mustange aluminum rad. I can tell you it did not change the heat characteristics. I am assuming you are using the computer that came with the 3.4. Gm designed that to turn on the fan around 225 give or take some error and turn off at 215 give or take. That is what you will have. I suggest you used a switch to turn on the fan first before investing in an aluminum rad. Just my two centssmoking smiley

Ray Bee Avatar
Ray Bee Ray B
Cobourg, Ontario, Canada   CAN
X2 with Charles statement. I have adjusted my fan to go ON at 215 and OFF at 202 with a 195 T stat installed in my 3.4l . I also have the aluminum rad installed from a 66 mustang Model AE251. Do a search on the internet with AE251 and you get the specs on the rad or PM me and I can give you the details.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
We are working on a 77-80 direct replacement specifically for the conversions.... I hope to see the first in a month. Aluminium, direct bolt in.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
dukesplace Avatar
dukesplace Timothy Ringland
Headingley, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB
Here is a comparison of the stock B rad and a 65 Mustang aluminum rad. The Mustang rad is quite a bit larger. I installed an electric 14" as well which turns on at 220 and of at 213 programmed from the ECM.
Even though it looks much bigger it does fit in there well with minor trimming to the rad flange and shimming it forward a bit to clear the sway bar.
I originally went with a Champion Cooling AE251 - which is the 65 Mustang rad. I now have a Champion aluminum rad CC6677 which is a rad for a 66-77 Ford Bronco. This rad has the same dimensions as the 65 Mustang rad but the top inlet is in the center and the bottom outlet is driver side. I found the top center outlet worked really well. The Mustang rad has both outlets driver side.
I had a seam leak on my first one and decided to try the Bronco rad. Full replacement warranty.

Here is the link to the online Champion catalogue.

http://championcooling.com/Catalog%20Online/CHAMPION.CATALOG.htm

Hope this helps.
Tim

Attachments:
DSCN1707.jpg    63.1 KB
DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN1759.jpg    65.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bronco rad.jpg    37.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster