AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brushwolf Avatar
Brushwolf Mike Haglund
Rush City, Minnesota, USA   USA
Ditto George,

I got an engineless MGB back in June and have finally got the Mustang 5.0 roller motor and T5 here at home after getting sidetracked for a while with a house deal and selling off some excess cars. And being in Minnesota I need to get going on it as winter is just around the corner.

Rich's thread has been great since he isn't afraid to try whatever he thinks will move the project forward and tries to keep the budget in mind too. I have a rebuilt 327, so I could go probably the Chev route too. But the Ford with lighter smaller footprint is what I decided to do. Chev does have a better oil pan profile for an MG though.

I even have a good running Buick 455 which is about same weight as Chev and even better pan profile. But, I think that is a bridge too far for an old man, so will stick with the Ford. Figure to do my own crossmember mods and motor/Trans mounts though. And the fastcars fender well headers, unless I can find some less costly exhaust solution.

Was just reviewing some old marked threads on the Ford swaps earlier today. I am interested to see what you did to fit your motor since I am just slightly behind you on my MG project. I have fairly decent welding skills since I did it for a living many years ago before I went to college. Have Mig, Tig , torches, plasma cutter, etc. so that metal-working part I am not the least bit worried about.

But, cutting and welding is only part of it, making it all fit right is another. LMK if you start a thread of your own, so I can chime in now and then (and maybe steal any of your better ideas...) smileys with beer

Mike H

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
hey Mike.....hats off to you, go for it. so wen you coming down to fla? perfect weather for a rag top.......and a bike!!!! people ask me about the color....why yellow? ill tell, that color is corvette millennium yello with small metal flake I added to the clear coat, a C5 color. ive owned many vettes and a couple of C5s. allways wanted a yellow one but don't want a nother vette. the mgs original color was inca yellow.....I figured its a no brainer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 08:42 AM by madman.

79mgb302power George Neumann
Goose Creek, south carolina, USA   USA
nice! going to do thead just got to figure out how, new to this forum. got a lot of pics of my mgb build and a few ideas that I did on the car still got lots to do, i’m at painting stage right now. i call this a poor mans cobra.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brushwolf Avatar
Brushwolf Mike Haglund
Rich,

I was down in Feb for a vacation to show my Filipino wife the Keys (she didn't want to come back...) and to get away from MN winter. Went down again in July to look at old house on 9 acres in the boonies that I bought down there (plan is to stay in MN for half the year and FL the other half..).

Wife isn't retired yet either, so couldn't move completely if I wanted to. Winters are great there, but summer is a little warm for a northerner.. Snakes and gators in FL are a little intimidating too.

Probably be down again soon to work on house a bit. But, so far there is only a tandem carport at FL house, so I can't really do any car stuff down there yet. Am currently selling off excess projects too, since I have way too many to finish myself and transporting more than a few isn't practical anyway.

Need to add a pole building to secure cars and tools before I can spend too much time there though, as after a few days at the beach, I feel the need to do something constructive on the car front.

Undoubtedly a great place to have a convertible and bike and I do have both. Bike is same color as your MG (but no metal flake in it)..

Brushwolf Avatar
Brushwolf Mike Haglund
George.

Well, you are quite far ahead of me then, since I just have the major parts gathered up and haven't done any work to my MG besides sealing up the trunk floor and reinstalling luggage rack on it. No rust holes in trunk though, just some surface rust from water sitting in it a month or so before I bought it.

Car was painted (red) before I got it so looks pretty decent already and someone had tried to put Buick GN turbo six in it but then gave up on it and sold the motor for unknown reasons. Trying to clean some stuff out of garage and free up a stall to get it inside, but weather is still nice enough to do welding and cutting outside.

Looking forward to your thread, especially what you did for engine mounts, exhaust and crossmember modification. I am a big believer in looking at what other people did before diving in myself.

Mike H

my mgb Destin for the scrap yard I got it dirt cheap cut out rotted floors pulled the motor brought that to the junkyard The crossmember I just cut out the center from the original transmission mounts welding in a plate of quarter inch steel drilled holes mounted the transmission mount on it fits perfect. I didn’t have to cut out the heater box but I did anyways for easier access to the transmission bolts on the top. I cut made my own headers with a header kit from Summit racing and I cut out the original motor mounts for the four-cylinder and made for solid motor mounts that fit with 302 and I used a 65 Mustang radiator four core aluminum special ordered it I couldn’t believe how well it fit inside this body I’m using the truck oil pan for the 302 fits better about a quarter of an inch off the front crossmember once I fat up the engine compartment I pulled everything out dropped rearend and Front crossmember and suspension me and my brother picked it up and flipped it over and put it on sawhorses so I can redo the underneath made it more structurally stronger. once I finish the undercarriage we flipped it back over and I boxed everything in for the sub frame and made it a solid frame, had rocker panels and lower pans for the rocker panels replaced lower quarter panels on the front and the rear cut out the rusted area and replace them with the replacement parts everything was welded in to make it structurally stronger than factory should be able to hold up about 500 hp maybe more Friend of mine had a driveshaft out of an old Jeep Cherokee which I cut and modified to fit ujoints and the yoke for the C4 and and had it at a driveshaft company to balance and check for cracks, Time has gone so fast it’s hard to believe I’ve been on this car for two years now and counting working on it off and on in the garage.

Brushwolf Avatar
Brushwolf Mike Haglund
George,

I see what you mean. I had thought the 1988 Mustang pan had the same front drop as the 2000 Explorer pan (Have two 5.0 roller motors here.) But the pan profiles are a little different.

You did not modify front crossmember like Mantell kit does? Does engine sit high at all and is your carb mount surface horizontal?

The pans are not dramatically different, but total drop from pan mounting surface is roughly 5 7/8" on Mustang pan and only 5 1/2" on Explorer pan - which also does not have the bulbous extra drain plug on the front. Not a big difference but an extra 3/8" clearance sure doesn't hurt when working with a tight fit.

Bonus for me in that this Explorer pan appears to have been recently replaced. Clean as can be, no rust on it, even the paint is all good (probably rusted out as it was a Twin Cities (mucho salt..) truck that it came out of...

Had planned on putting a front drop pan and early timing cover on that Explorer GT40p-headed motor anyway to use in a 65 Comet convertible (yellow one incidentally, Rich...

I did have a problem with the height for the engine in the hood so I decided to go with cobra hood scoop instead add more room if not I would have gotten a lower intake profile and a lower distributor for profile but I wanted the hood scoop on it plus the cost proficiency was a lot cheaper with the hood scoop then getting a low profile distributor and intake

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
the more I drive it the more I love it.........yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaa. I guess I'm getting 20 ish to the gallon if I drive normaly [kinda hard to do] working on getting a gps speedo and a tach, I recalibraded the tach with a V8 tach but in the upper rpms to much needle bounce. it hard to find a 3 3/4 speedo and tach to fit the dash without paying thru the ass. 3 3/8 easy to get, might have to make bezel rings to fit. refurbished the cockpit surround and installed it, used hammer tone paint [stone chip], looks good. goona start stg. 2 work in about a month, or as money is available. gonna make a good thing even better........stay tuned folks. oh almost forgot....top frame has been refurbished [about a month ago] and gonna get a new top.

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, California, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
I totally understand the more you drive it the more you love it, put my roller motor in a year ago, have much to do to make it better, already have a pile of parts--I JUST KEEP DRIVING IT! If they were any more fun V8 MGBs would be illegal (not talking about what we do with them).. Drive on

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
roof frame installed.........now to get a top, money money money need lots of money.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Mike, I'll put in a plug for the 455 Buick here. Yes it is more work, but not complicated. Have a look at the "Roadmaster" thread on BritishV8, that contains the entire build.

The upside is that with a stock engine build the car is extremely docile to drive, imminently civilized and forgiving. With an axle ratio under 3.00 it can start out in 5th gear OD and doesn't much care what gear you use. It also gets 20mpg. But, you are right there is additional work.

The car will be in Townsend the end of this week if you could make the gathering. It now has all the AC installed except lines and wiring. A very tidy and civilized conversion. With power.

Jim

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
been driving the hell out of the beast inbetween rain drops.caught in the rain yesterday [fla weather changes every 15 minutes] needless to say i ordered a new top, had to do it anyway getting soaked sped up the process. more to come soon.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
convertible top came in today.......woo hoo. installation will happen tomorrow. car is still awesome.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Those who have been following since the start deserve some video as their reward. Maybe a big smoky burnout.

Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster