Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
the old dead 4 banger is out, the 350 with th200r4 is in. minor clearance issues in the lower footwell area but nothing major. engine and trans fits better than you would think. did not have to remove heater shelf at all,balancer is in front of sterring rack with plenty of clearance,95% of motor is behind front axel so technicly its mid engine.used original trans crossmember with minor modification. motor mounts from lower lugs by timing cover to frame rails (old style mount system) and I can pull most of the motor apart with out removing it, can even change the cam,can remove trans with engine in car.so far this is a very easy swap, don't know why its thought of as being to complicated.photos and install details to follow if you guys out there are interested.this baby is gonna fly.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Nobody said it was complicated.
Packaging and weight at about 100 pounds more than the smaller lighter 289/302 ford
230 pounds more than a V6
and gobs of weight more than the BOPR conversions
Leave a standard SBC iron block iron head just not as common as other choices

Have at it,nobody said you can't do it,post pictures of it going down the road.After you climb down from your soapbox Madmaneye rolling smiley

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3062035,3065830#msg-3065830

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 12:23 AM by ohlord.

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, California, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
Good Luck, REALLY like my SBC "B", did remove heater shelf to get engine completely behind spindles, custom frame and suspension worked for me. Even with mild motor (375 HP or so) mine is a lot of fun, know yours will be to. Chuck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
It's a weight issue, plus having to make custom headers. But it's been done more often than you might think.

Mainly guys are put off by the extra weight. Still, we've shown that a BBB is a viable option and the two engines are roughly comparable weight wise.

Jim

kerbau53 Avatar
kerbau53 Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"
In my reading I don't recall any references to the SBC being any more difficult than other swaps. Different yes, more difficult no. Probably the posters "mad skills" overcoming the issues.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
first off mr ohlord I am not on a soap box just writing what I did like everybody else on this forum. maybe all the orange crush you were exposed to clouds your thinking. second of all dollar for dollar chevy out performs every thing you listed.either way your opinion does not count. stop being a hater. and to the other guy, yes my skills speak for me. if you don't like what I post don't read it. I could care less. im sure many people out there are interested in what im doing without snide remarks, have a nice day.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
You haven't stepped down yet, have you?eye rolling smiley http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3062035,3062035#msg-3062035

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3062035,3065830#msg-3065830

Did I disparage an SBC's capabilities ?
Clearly by your reaction opinion counts.

By now everyone knows what you mean by "Have a nice day"eye popping smiley
You have yourself a very nice daythumbs up

In reply to # 3112360 by madman first off mr ohlord I am not on a soap box just writing what I did like everybody else on this forum. maybe all the orange crush you were exposed to clouds your thinking. second of all dollar for dollar chevy out performs every thing you listed.either way your opinion does not count. stop being a hater. and to the other guy, yes my skills speak for me. if you don't like what I post don't read it. I could care less. im sure many people out there are interested in what im doing without snide remarks, have a nice day.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 06:14 PM by ohlord.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
BLAH BLAH BLAH have a nice day like I said your opionin doesn't count mr ohlord

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, California, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
Where did this negativity come from. Have seen 150hp 4s, 200hp 6s, 250hp 215s, 300hp plus fords, SBCs, LSs, all putting smiles on owners faces, is that not what the DarkSide is all about. Build it, Drive it, Enjoy it!!!!!!!! MGBs are a wonderful blank slate to modify---HAVE SOME FUN

fiveiron Avatar
fiveiron Silver Member Alton Scarborough
Wellsboro Pa., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Mable"
1974 MG MGB "2nd B"
well said Chuck. I'm planning on going to the dark side with the second B . I've read information on every swap that I have seen on here and British v8, but still undecided. plenty of body work needs done first .
and thanks to all have posted about their swaps.

Wayno Avatar
Wayno Wayne Lueth
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
Don't worry about it, haters are going to hate.
What is hilarious is that MGB and 240Z car weigh about the same(curb weight), and thousands upon thousands of them have Chevy small blocks in them now.
I will say though, you are likely going to have to install a frame under your car, as like the Zcar, the bodies need reinforced or the small block will tear the unibody construction to pieces, I had a 65 nova(Chevyll) with a built 350 in it, that engine ruined that unibody car, the doors creaked real bad at the end, the whole body was flexing, and it was a hard top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 08:20 PM by Wayno.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, florida, USA   USA
well said wayno back in the late 70's I put a sbc in a 240 awesome swap made all the parts had my machine shop back then. I plan on reinforcing the frame as I go. rear spring area is on the top to do list as I feel this is a major weak point as far as all that tourge goes. much to get done its a work in progress so to speak

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Most MGB's with High HP V8's use a channel between crossmember and front rear spring hanger.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   USA
Wayne, the MGB is likely to surprise you when it comes to the strength and the need for reinforcement. Also, bear in mind that a separate chassis does not guarantee control of flex, anything but in fact as an independent frame is always weak in twist for any given weight.

What is the most rigid structure for any given weight? Basically a tube of infinite diameter and infinitely small wall thickness. This is not practical for obvious reasons, some more so than others, but this is the theory behind monocoque construction, and the Brits were well ahead of us in the 60's in this area and it took us a very long while to catch up. The MGB, a car dedicated from the start to racing usage, was designed to have a very stiff structure. It was MG's first real foray into monocoque construction, and as far as I've been able to tell the engineers must have started out with a target weight and worked backwards from there because they put quite a lot more metal in the body tub than what was needed for the car they built. Clearly they were going for stiffness in the structure, and they achieved that, far in excess of what was required. The result is a car very well suited to rather incredible power increases with very little fuss or bother.

The tub is exceptionally strong and stiff. True, many builders add additional reinforcements to the forward spring hangers (and I have also) but I have yet to see an MGB deformed in that area by anything but rust or wear so it's not really been proven necessary. The Roadmaster with it's Buick 455 has no body reinforcements and is still going strong nonetheless. Of course, it does have an IRS. But I have personally applied in excess of 9000 lbs to the passenger side rail of an MGB in an attempt to bend the car and failed miserably.

If body stiffness was a problem, certainly with all of the high powered MGBs around today we would have heard something about it, but the issue only seems to come up when it is raised by someone building other cars. I'm just not so sure that applies here.

Jim

Wayno Avatar
Wayno Wayne Lueth
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
I kinda look at it this way, if the MGB with a built V8 can take having the front wheels lift off the ground a few inches and come back down without distorting the body, then I guess it's good to go how it is, but I just cannot imagine that a unibody is going to take it in the long term without reinforcement with a heavy engine like that.
My 65 Nova took it for a long time, but in the end it just started flexing, it just could not handle that engine long term, it took a couple years of daily driving to ruin it.
I have to say, it was a very powerful engine, I have never had anything like it since, it had a really high compression ratio, when I let off the pedal it was like I was hitting the brakes, if the passenger didn't know it was coming, they would slide forward out of their seat the first time.
I guess a normal V8 would be different, when ever people talk about 350 block conversions I think of that engine I had( it left an impression on me to this day), I have had lots of other vehicles with V8s in them, but they were nothing compared to that engine/car combo, it would lift one of the wheels off the ground a few inches, and it didn't have a posi, but it had a lot of tire/meat on the ground.

In reply to # 3112776 by Jim Blackwood Wayne, the MGB is likely to surprise you when it comes to the strength and the need for reinforcement. Also, bear in mind that a separate chassis does not guarantee control of flex, anything but in fact as an independent frame is always weak in twist for any given weight.

What is the most rigid structure for any given weight? Basically a tube of infinite diameter and infinitely small wall thickness. This is not practical for obvious reasons, some more so than others, but this is the theory behind monocoque construction, and the Brits were well ahead of us in the 60's in this area and it took us a very long while to catch up. The MGB, a car dedicated from the start to racing usage, was designed to have a very stiff structure. It was MG's first real foray into monocoque construction, and as far as I've been able to tell the engineers must have started out with a target weight and worked backwards from there because they put quite a lot more metal in the body tub than what was needed for the car they built. Clearly they were going for stiffness in the structure, and they achieved that, far in excess of what was required. The result is a car very well suited to rather incredible power increases with very little fuss or bother.

The tub is exceptionally strong and stiff. True, many builders add additional reinforcements to the forward spring hangers (and I have also) but I have yet to see an MGB deformed in that area by anything but rust or wear so it's not really been proven necessary. The Roadmaster with it's Buick 455 has no body reinforcements and is still going strong nonetheless. Of course, it does have an IRS. But I have personally applied in excess of 9000 lbs to the passenger side rail of an MGB in an attempt to bend the car and failed miserably.

If body stiffness was a problem, certainly with all of the high powered MGBs around today we would have heard something about it, but the issue only seems to come up when it is raised by someone building other cars. I'm just not so sure that applies here.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster