Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pser1947 Paul S
Vineland, New Jersey, USA   USA
Greetings,
Has anyone done or have information about a Volvo engine and trans swap for a MG-TD. Any information would be apprecaiated.
Thaank you.
Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
phoffman Peter Hoffman
Miller Place, NY, USA   USA
I used to own and work on the older Volvos such as the model 140 and 240 series. They were a 1.8 or 2.0 liter engine similiar in size to a mgb engine but with the intake and exhaust on the passenger side. They came with a 4 speed that had an optional OD or a 5 speed in later years. This engine was used from approx. mid 1960's till early 1990's. The earlier engines used a twin su carb, then a twin stromberg and then fuel injection in early 1970's.
The engines are very sturdy and I hopped up mine with an isky cam and headers.
I would check out the many Volvo forums for more info.

navblue77 Avatar
navblue77 Mark H.
Burke, VA, USA   USA
paul,

i have one with a volvo engine...although haven't had it for long so i haven't started crawling around it yet -- too cold in VA...anyway the seller from PA indicates this was a popular mod back in 60's and 70's...mine has the Volvo P1800 engine...about 2.0 liters with dual SU carbs...whoever did this swap did a good job way back when...a nice fit, weight about the same but more power -- about 100HP...and drives well.

the hardcore mg guys will tell you to put the original motor back in to hold the car's value...but i like the way this one drives and keeps up with traffic -- and it was cheap...runs about like a mid-60's MGB...not a powerhouse...but will cruise nicely at 60 with a comfortable sounding motor.

let me know what else you'd like to know.

mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
danmart77 Dan O'Sullivan
Durham, North Carolina, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
Mark
The engine you are looking for was mounted in the PV544 and the 122 series Amazon. The M-40 transmission is the 4 speed that goes with this engine. The engine is a B-18. This is a dual carb engine that looks good in the MGTD bay

If you are serious about the conversion, you are in luck. There's a guy(Joe Lazenby) in Harrisburg PA who has a large collection of Volvo parts and he is a great person to work with on Volvo matters. To further boost your interest, Joe has a TD with a B-18/M-40 installed and he could show you the process. Its within your driving range and that will save you lots of shipping costs. I don't think you can go wrong with a guy like Joe.

I have owned several old Volvos in the past 35 years and I am currently driving my 1965 PV544. I love that car. Joe has kept me going for all those years.

Contact Info:

Joe Lazenby at Susquehana Spares. One number is his cell he carries and the other is his shop. I just forgot which one is which... sorry. Leave a message and he will get back to you. Joe is a bachelor in retirement and he rolls with the breeze.

717 645-4723
717 921-2644

Good Luck
Dan O'Sullivan(52 TD restoration stage)
Durham, NC
919 308-0790 cell

mgt953d Avatar
mgt953d Roberto Chapman
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico   MEX
Have been using a Volvo drivetrain form a 1970 Volvo P-1800 with overdrive for 30 years on my 53 TD and have nothing but praise for that bulletproof conversion, still need help?

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
I have the 71 Volvo B-20 engine out of a 145 wagon & there is an adp. plate you can buy to use a Ford T-5 five speed trans behind the B-20 engine & I have a MGB GT that I am going to put the Volvo engine in. Will use the Volvo FI intake & Megasquirt FI system in, at a later date.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
http://www.v-performance.com/products/engine.html

thumbs up

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

EoinDubh Avatar
EoinDubh John Black
California, USA   USA
My first job after I got out of the Army in 1967 was doing Volvo engines into TDs. The shop was buying kits and we would pick up B18 engines and go through them and install them. At the time I was driving a 1960 Triumph TR3A and the engine swaps were just a job so I do not remember the process. A lot of taking stuff apart, cleaning and repairing and reinstalling. They ran great but I liked my TR3 a lot better.

mgt953d Avatar
mgt953d Roberto Chapman
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico   MEX
You will have to install an electric temperature sending unit from a vw Golf or similar to kick in the fan when needed.picture included.

Attachments:
IMG_20150627_231217040.jpg    32.6 KB
IMG_20150627_231217040.jpg

psqrson Paul Paulson
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
I am installing a Volvo B18 engine into my 1952 MG TD.
Is it required to change the system polarity from positive ground to negative ? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks ... Paul

Nazareth, PA, USA   USA
Forgive the newbie question. What is the advantage/attraction of the 1.8 liter Volvo engine vs. the B-Series engine out of an MGB? Seems like The "B" engine would keep the swap "in the family".
Thanks in advance.
TR

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
Volvo head flows better, good tuff engine & can make more power than the B engine, up to almost 200 HP. Lighter by 30lbs, FI bolts right up to it.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3569796 by todd reid What is the advantage/attraction of the 1.8 liter Volvo engine vs. the B-Series engine out of an MGB?

The Volvo engine has the the carbs & exhaust on the same side as the T-Series engines. So everything fits as it should with no steering interference on LHD TD/TF

Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
Do a Google search for 3 million mile Volvo P1800 if you want to know what is so great about these engines. Rumor is you can also get almost 200 streetable hp out of a modified version.

Ed Freeman Ed F
Kahului, Hawaii, USA   USA
I put a Volvo B16 engine in my 53 MG TD when I was in high school about 1962 and use the Volvo transmission, couldn't find a 4-speed anywhere had to put a 3-speed in and shorten my drive shaft to about 10 inches. Made a great great change in by driving I could run at 65 miles an hour all day without losing oil pressure and it worked great I wish I still had that car!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster