MG Engine Swaps Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Zetec Midget

Posted by Jpitchford 
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford
Girard, Illinois, USA   usa

I recently picked up this driveline from a fellow member.

My plan is to install it into this 1972 Midget.

I was able to buy the engine, trans and most of the needed parts. I just purchased the rest of the clutch parts. I am getting ready to start the teardown of the Midget. If anyone needs a good running 1275 with a 4spd pm me. Can see/ hear run and will be able to drive for the next few weeks. Then you;ll only be able to hear it run(Plan to bolt to a pallet.). Price is Best offer.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
trevorwj Avatar
Trevor Jessie
Louisville KY, USA   usa

Where are you located?

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

Just south of Springfield, illinois.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
trevorwj Avatar
Trevor Jessie
Louisville KY, USA   usa

Drat! A little too far for me.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

For the right price ill meet you halfway.
69Sprite Avatar
Brian M
San Jose, CA, USA   usa

PM'd you, Joe (if the motor's still available).
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

received and resent. I'll see what i can do when i get home tom. I should be able to get Compression numbers for sure.
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

This is what i picked up.

Finished up the belt routing and making all the pulley brackets. I had to add the right upper pulley so i could use the stock waterpump. Since i am not running A/C or P/S the belt would have been running around the outside of the pulley and turning the wrong direction. It could have been fixed with a pump from a 1.6 early zetec but I am trying to keep as much the same as possible. So far everything used has been off the shelf nothing special ordered. I have changed the alt pulley to a 6rib pulley. The GM pulley was only a 5rib. I have some grinding to do on the bracket for the alt but it fits nicely. plus with using the 1 wire alt they are cheap and come in a multitude of amp ratings. This one is a 65amp. It should be plenty.

Also picked up the clutch parts. Still need to get the HTOB installed in the trans so i can get them put together for the last time.

tdhallum Avatar
Travis Hallum
Houston, TX, USA   usa

Very nice...I've always thought the Zetec would make for a great runner in a B. They are rev happy little engines!
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

A little more work accomplished. I've decided to run plastic lines so it looks OEM. I can buy the tools to make them and the fittings for $175 and 25' rolls of the actual line are $50. I think that's the route I'm going to go. I want this install to look as factory as possible. I'll be wrapping the harnesses with factory style loom as well. I may change that and use better stuff but I'm after that "This is how it came from the factory" look. I really like this stuff it's tough enough to use under the car yet if you warm it up it can be bent to shape around corners. I have been testing how to bend it with some scraps i have from jobs repairing lines and can make it turn almost 90degrees without a kink. The trick is to seal one end and apply air pressure then heat and bend allow to cool and remove pressure.

Dorman Install kit
Feed line
Return line
98chrysler Avatar
Jeremy Mulder
Dallas TX, USA   usa

What transmission are you using? T5?

My fuel injected MG Midget Project
Sorry folks, I do not battle the keyboard warriors, or feed the trolls!
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

Yes, Ford T5.
Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   usa

Joe what bellhousing are you using?
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

Thats the best part. Im using a stock v8 bellhousing. The 4 holes on the sides lined right up. The top two were way high. I was able to drill and tap the block for the upper bolts. I used a bit the same size as the hole in the trans to get the center then drilled to the proper size for the tap. Worked great. I'm going to make a backing plate to seal up the clutch area. I have the pattern made just need to cut it out.
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   usa

Joe, What did you do for starter line up? Is the intake homemade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 11:44AM by 260mgb.
Jpitchford Avatar
Joseph Pitchford

Yes the intake is homemade. It came with the engine. For the starter I have some simple plate tabs that bolt into the stock holes in the bellhousing then to the starter. I plan to make an adapter that i can weld onto the bellhousing or to the starter. I like the idea of welding to the starter because i could move it to any T5 application. The other idea would be to use a custom flywheel the has the proper T5 ringgear on it.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG