MG Engine Swaps Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

muffler

Posted by turbostar 
muffler
john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

Time has come to redo the exhaust on my 3.4 SFI Sprite. As you can imagine,space is a real issue. I am leaning towards a Hushpower 2. It would be 2 1/2 in/out and 18 inches long with a case that is 4x5.5 ; has anyone used one of these and have feedback? Also are there any other suggestions? I want something that is reasonably quiet/mellow and yet not too restrictive.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

I use a Magnaflow in that size - short and effective. I don't have specific experience with the flowmaster product you are looking at.

I found that I had to add a Pacesetter resonator tip immediately after my muffler to take the rap out of the exhaust note.

See MAGNAFLOW

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

I talked to Flowmaster on the phone and they don't think any of the hushpower(12 in or 16 in)would quiet the engine sufficienty. His suggestion was their pro series(even more pricy than the hushpower) or their DBX series. I will research the DBX. Both the pro and dbx are 6 inch diameter. Not much room in a Sprite for mufflers.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

Yeah, that's why I resorted to the tip resonator. I think my Magnaflow is 14-18" or so (would have to check my 'build book').

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

Check with Cherry Bomb, yes they are back with some really good mufflers, Glasspacks with low restriction and they will not take a bite out of your wallet.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

I have used the regular oval Magnaflow muffler in other applications and they were quiet. I have no experience with the round ones-I am guessing it is about 6 in diameter?
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

Check out Cherry Bomb, yes they are back and have some real good stuff.
Glasspacks with low restriction and good sound. It will not take a bite out of your wallet.

Member Services:
notabmw1 Avatar
John McGee
Annapolis, MD, USA   usa

While I haven't tried it on the 3.4 yet, I have tried about 7 different mufflers on my Astro 4.3l. Everything from Magnaflow, Gibson, Flowmaster, Spintech, Cherry Bomb, etc. My favorite is surprisingly FULL BOAR Max Flow SS muffler. They are an old company, I believe Jones Exhaust makes that product, and they are knockoff's of the major brands. The funny thing is they outperform, CFM wise than there counterpart. The Max Flow is stainless, and is like a Magnaflow muffler, straight through design, however the difference is the Full Boar muffler is actually mandrel bent inside vs magnaflow actually looks crushed bent.

Anyway, for what it's worth, makes it have a great sound. Deep tone at idle, barks when you get on it, but it's not overly loud on the highway (droning), and they are cheap at $58 a muffler. You would have to research sizing if interested, cause I think they are typically 4x9x18 outside. But they have a ton of different models. Only reason I know all of that is I worked at a performance muffler shop for a bit, and designed the exhaust I have on my van.

Ah found the clip of it on my van:
Astro 4.3 Full Boar Exhaust Vid

Anyway, something to think about. Crazy how many different brands there are out there these days.

Specializing in Customizing Classic Mini Coopers, Old Honda Bikes, and Morris Minors...
NOTABMW Components

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 01:00PM by notabmw1.
john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

Bill,I see the cherry bombs in Jegs and surely they are reasonbly priced. Any personal experience on how noisy they are?
rficalora Avatar
Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"

Do you even have room for 4" thick mufflers? I went with SpinTech's skinny 2 1/2" thick mufflers under the car and some no name glass packs at the tips to further quiet it. Would like it even a little quieter (especially in the parking garage @ work) but it is reasonable and provides good clearance.
ex-tyke Avatar
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   can
1976 MG MGB

Muffler placement on the chassis makes a difference too - muffler(s) located at the rear are much quieter than placed midships - gives exhaust gases more time to cool.
65ELCMO Avatar
Steve Michaelson
Oro Valley, AZ, USA   usa

What about chambered mufflers. Small in diameter and longer.
Classis Chambered Exhaust and check EBay
john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

Rob there is no way to put mufflers under the Sprite,just too darn low. There is a place in the back next to the tank on the drivers side that I need to work with.
john austin
ruidoso,nm, USA   usa

Bill Guzman,thanks for the tip about cherry bomb. I found what I need with them and there is one on ebay for $20 plus shipping. They make a turbo muffler which I have always been partial to and it has the best dimensions I have found.The body is 3.25 in by 7 3/4 in and if I position it vertically it will clear. Thrush makes one the same size but only with 2 in in/out,while the cherry bomb is 2 1/2 in/out which is what I wanted. If anyone else is looking for a reasonably quiet small performance muffler to fit in a small space the part number is 16806. This is an offset inlet/center outlet which is what I need,but they make other combinations also.
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

All Turbo mufflers are just oval glasspacks. Cherry Bomb took the concept and improved on the flow and sound.

Several test were conducted by different dynos and companies testing for power improvement, Cherry Bomb so far has come ahead of mayor brand names. For sound Cherry Bomb.
DynoMax and Magnaflow are the other good ones but.....$$$$$

If Corsa would build small mufflers, now that would be awesome.

Cherry Bomb used to be the cheapest glasspacks money could buy in the 60's---80's
Now Cherry bomb are high tech muffler and less money.

Member Services:
John Hammond
New York, USA   usa
1960 Austin-Healey Sprite "Third Rail"

In reply to # 2026104 by turbostar Rob there is no way to put mufflers under the Sprite,just too darn low.

Way. I jammed my Flowmasters up tight to the floorboards with some insulation above them. Gas and brakelines nearby are also heavily insulated. Occasionally I scrape a muffler or header collector, but I have 24 ga. disposable skid plates on them which I can replace if they wear through. More exhaust pix 2/3 of the way down at http://tinyurl.com/67n82u.
H

Attachments:
20 mufflers w insulation and skid skin.JPG (39.4 KB) –
20 mufflers w insulation and skid skin.JPG

Wilbur Avatar
Wilbur Engelsma
Broomfield, CO, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

Any feedback on spintech mufflers? I selected it based on size and input/output configration, but I have no idea how they sound. I am installing an SR20DET (turbo 4 cyl) motor, and have a single 3" exhaust run. To have the most clearance, I used oval pipe under the car and put the muffler where the left battery box used to be, so it needed to be very short. I also installed a resonator with twin tips under the trunk, so it should be reasonably quiet, right?
David Erikson
St Albans Vt, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB V6 Conversion ~ For Sale ! ~

I have Spin Tech mufflers on my B with 3.8 Buick. They are mounted in the space formerly used for the gas tank (fuel cell in the trunk)
Sound level is fine around town & OK at speed. It is a bit harsh at upper RPM say, above 4500 but, overall I'm quite satisfied.
rficalora Avatar
Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"

Same here. Mine are mounted about 1/2 way back. Sound is ok but not as mellow as flowmasters. They were a bit too loud for me too (set off alarms in the parking garage @ work) so I had some small glasspacks at the tips.
mgb4tim Avatar
Tim Nagy
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"

In reply to # 2025782 by turbostar Bill,I see the cherry bombs in Jegs and surely they are reasonbly priced. Any personal experience on how noisy they are?

I have a cherry bomb on my 81 TR7, with the stock rear resonator. It's mildly quiet, very solid - and it was cheap.

~Tim

tim@morSpeedPerformance.com

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG