MG Engine Swaps Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Best Sounding Conversion Engine

Posted by bills 
bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

I enjoy V8s (but avoid worshiping them as some do) devil smiley in terms of sonics, but have always opined that a straight 6 or a V-12 make the best noises ever uttered by an internal combustion engine.

Here is one that is neither, though - it is a 'bent' 6 and for a V6 it sure sounds pretty darned good! Good with mods for around 400 whp and all alloy, but like any other DOHC V6, it is a bit wide, so no idea if it would fit into an MGB. The tight bit on the MG engine bay is low down, not higher up in the compartment, so who knows.....

What do you think?

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

I agree with you Bill. That engine is totally awesome. It has a very complex exhaust system.
The racing version sound even better.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Dans78MGB Avatar
Dan Goodwin
Shreveport, LA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB MkIII "Brittnee AKA: Killvette"

I have one of those engine, but with Nismo Exhaust on it, and no header or downpipe like this guy has on his. They are amazing little 6's. 270-280hp right out of the box, and highly mod-able. If it'd fit, id' put the whole motor and trans combo in the B, but i think it's a bit wide....the motor is called a QZ35DE, comes in 350Z's, G35's, and in some Nissan trucks I think and also in a FWD version in the Altima 3.5SR (like my car)...

Dusty A
CT, USA   usa

I've always loved straight 6's too. I've built several e30's and they have been one of my favorite sounding cars. But a lumpy v8 is nice to the ears aswell
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Dans78MGB Avatar
Dan Goodwin
Shreveport, LA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB MkIII "Brittnee AKA: Killvette"

I like the sound of a modestly built Big block Chevy motor, with just a light lope to it, and headeds and glasspacks, they are torquey and are loaded with HP just waiting to be released. I've got one in my truck and I love the way it sounds, no cross-over pipe on it, so you can hear each bank seperately, sounds cool.

favedave Avatar
David Church
Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1995 Ford Probe
1995 Ford Probe "The Probe"

There are some 'small block' V8s running around my town which sound more FIA than NHRA due to the tuned headers and exhaust. I don't know what they have one them but I sure run to the street when I hear them. There's a new Mustang and a new Camaro in town which have very similar and very sexy sounds.
smelfi Avatar
Steve Melfi
Alexandria Ohio, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

The new Mustang's do it for me. There's a guy out here in rural Ohio with a new Mustang who every so often gets on it going past my place. Awesome sound.
Jim Blackwood Avatar
* BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd., USA   usa

There's one of those Mustang guys lives down the hill from me, likes to rev it up in his driveway. The last month or so I was just idling the MG-Roadmaster down the driveway before easing off down the street. Funny thing about that, the neighbor quit revving his tiny motor.

JB
NCtim Avatar
Tim S
North Carolina, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

My Vote:
Since I don't know how to embed the video here's the link.

Tim
bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

Not a fan of that one, Tim. Generic V8 sound. To each his own though.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

NCtim Avatar
Tim S
1973 MG MGB

Bill,

It just sounds so basic. Just an internal combustion engine doing it's thing. (Which is basically doing its best to tear itself apart.) No electronically controlled fuel systems, injection delivery, whirring pumps, etc. Just mechanical parts doing mechanical things. It brings back memories of me and my dad going to track days at the local airport in the 60s where there were Cobras, Maseratis, Ferraris, GT40s, and such . . . Man! What a sound when they were sitting at the line waiting to take their run on the course.

Memories are great things, aren't they?

Cheers,
Tim
V8MGBV8 Avatar
Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   usa

In reply to # 1966077 by Jim Blackwood There's one of those Mustang guys lives down the hill from me, likes to rev it up in his driveway. The last month or so I was just idling the MG-Roadmaster down the driveway before easing off down the street. Funny thing about that, the neighbor quit revving his tiny motor.

JB

grinning smiley
Hank R
Denver, CO, USA   usa

I'm giving away my age now, but I know that there must be other members of this forum that remember the sweet cackle the old Chevy inline 6's made when you split the exhaust manifold. Some had 3-3 splits and some had 4-2 splits. I can't remember which one sounded best, but done with the right glass packs they were cool back in the day.
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

In reply to # 1966477 by hanker I'm giving away my age now, but I know that there must be other members of this forum that remember the sweet cackle the old Chevy inline 6's made when you split the exhaust manifold. Some had 3-3 splits and some had 4-2 splits. I can't remember which one sounded best, but done with the right glass packs they were cool back in the day.

Yes and a cable attached to the loose distributor. Pull the cable and make it backfire. Doing this with a split manifold in a 6I old 213 ci or the later model big block six 272 ci.

One I saw a home build race car in Riverside that had the 250 6I chevy with Webbers mag etc. It sounded pretty good at high rpm.

Member Services:
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

My favorite sound that comes from an engine, high compression V-12 Jag

Member Services:
1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

My other favorite C-6 Vortec supercharged with Corsa exhaust

It is funny how the Mustangs and Mustang 500 and Mopar guys get quiet when a ZR 1 or a Supercharged C6 with a Corsa exhaust
shows up. Love it.thumbs up smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 07:38PM by 1744.

Member Services:
NCtim Avatar
Tim S
1973 MG MGB

Well, now that we're getting all nostalgic, I'll always love the sound of my '57 100-6 Austin Healey with the stock, chambered muffler exiting below the driver's door. 3-into-1 stock manifolds, 2 pipes to the muffler, no crossover, 2 out tips, no tail pipes. The absolute best sound under acceleration! Cracked a deep raspy, guttural sound that's never been heard by someone born after 1962.

It just sounded better than it performed . . . a lot like politicians.smileys with beer

Cheers,
Tim
danmas Avatar
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "Powered By Ford"

As one who worships the V8 (not really, but I thought I'd say that just to appease Bill), I think the sound of a Ford 302 running through chambered exhausts sounds pretty wicked. Hearing a TVR pull into a car show with one a few years ago sealed my, and my MGB's, fate. I do love that sound!

The sound of a small displacement engine screaming at high rpm makes me think of an annoying mosquito.
favedave Avatar
David Church
Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1995 Ford Probe
1995 Ford Probe "The Probe"

Dan, is there anything about your car that isn't perfection? Do you have to have the perfect exhaust note too?
Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, California, USA   usa

In reply to # 1966520 by 1744 My favorite sound that comes from an engine, high compression V-12 Jag

I wish the commentators would shut up so you could hear the car. When they stop to take a breath the car sounds really nice. I do like the Vette with the Corsa exhaust, those systems always had a good note to them. Mustangs with rear mounted Flowmasters have also always sounded good.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG