Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bills Avatar
Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, BC, Canada   can

Here's one for sale - complete with turbo, computer, intercooler, trans....$4500

I can put anyone interested in touch.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp), 1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)
1965 Jensen CV8 (375 bhp), 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
West Vancouver BC

Attachments:
lnf.jpg    28.5 KB
lnf.jpg

Dans78MGB Avatar
Dan Goodwin
Shreveport, LA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB MkIII "Brittnee AKA: Killvette"

What did it come out of? and what's the power output on these little turbo motors? I'm interested.

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, California, USA   usa

Bill

Is that anywhere that you could weigh the whole package? Even better would be engine and trans weights separately.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Adam Schanne
Hilton Head SC, USA   usa

Nice little motor, looks cool too....

rficalora Avatar
Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"

Bill, how tall is it above the crank center line and where is the sump on the Ecotec? It could be the angle of the pic, but it looks pretty tall.

bills Avatar
Bill Spohn

Its sitting up on blocks so looks taller than it is. I've measured mine and think it would fit an MG without a bulge in the bonnet.

It weights about 75 lbs or more less than the MG engine. and its out of a Solstice. Stock power = 260 BHP/260 TQ, and with a tune, 350 BHP/400TQ is easily doable. Would make an MGB get up and go pretty well.

See this thread for pics:

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,1794542,1794542#msg-1794542

West Vancouver BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-18 10:10 PM by bills.

speedy Avatar
Michael Terrell
Canby, Oregon, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "The Little Engine That Tried"
1995 Jeep Wrangler "Little Engine That Could"
2010 Jeep Commander "People Hauler"

Once my MG fund grows can you hook me up?
You seem to be the ecotec expert here.
How often do you come across these? For that price range?

1975 MGB
Weber Down draft
Electric ignition
4 speed non O.D.
Soft Suspension
Tight Steering somehow
New Brake lines
New Clutch Master/Slave
SEAFOAM!!!

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bills Avatar
Bill Spohn

I own a Solstice so I pay attention to Ecotec engine development and hang out on some of the boards.

That price is better than some because it includes everything you'd need to convert. You see engines alone, or missing intercoolers etc.

The source seems to be people pulling out low mileage engines to stick in an LS V8 conversion, so supply will be uncertain and will depend on economy and disposable income.

If I were starting a project, I'd jump on that one as to assemble the same package from different sources would almost certainly cost more.

For an extra $300 spent on tuning the computer, around 340 BHP is a pretty nice small light package!

West Vancouver BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-19 10:19 AM by bills.

Duncan Avatar
Duncan Cowen
Delta, Vancouver, Canada   can

In reply to # 1960129 by bills
For an extra $300 spent on tuning the computer, around 340 BHP is a pretty nice small light package!

Let's see... a little math here...

340bhp / 80bhp = 4.25

Oh my, over four times the power of the MGB engine at it's strongest, with less weight. Wow. More than twice the power of my 3.4l conversion. Holy smokes!! These swaps will become popular - and epic!!

BillC Avatar
Bill C
Hoover, Alabama, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Lil Miss Behaving"

That transmission weights 126 lb's alone ! eye popping smiley The best I could find is that the turbo engine and all that intercooler junk is going to be another 35o lb's eye popping smiley that;s over 475 lb's setting there and you will have to reach behind the seat to shift it ! There also will be a lot of other fitment problems. Trans ratios are crap too 3.75,2.26,1.51,1.00,0.73 ; first gear would be worthless unless you spend more money changing the rear end. A 200lb Duratec and a 75lb close ratio T5 makes more since to me.

Bill

bills Avatar
Bill Spohn

Or 5.5 times a RBB single carb engine.

You can get an easy 400 + without going inside the engine. After that you want forged pistons and special rods and can get up into the 5-600 range. The torque often exceed 400 TQ, so is in the small V8 range.

Now you see why I am a fan of these engines. They are the highest output per displacement engine GM has ever made, including all the big block Corvette engines etc., and that is at stock 260 BHP.

The question is whether they are total overkill for an MG (probably). One might be better to go for the LE5 non-turbo version with 177 BHP, but the temptation will always be there for more power.

Come by (in the summer) and I'll give you a ride in a 12 second 1/4 mile machine that weighs 3000 lbs. and has the LNF turbo in it. Imagine what having only 2/3 the weight would do - someone probably has a formula they can dust off to estimate performance on a 2000 lb. version with that engine.

West Vancouver BC

Ogre1 Avatar
Allan Ogilvie
Melbourne Victoria, Australia   aus
1977 MG MGB "Greenb"

Great motor. I have a 2.2 in my astra and they are capable of really big horse numbers in a really small package. I bet that would slot in the MG bay really easily. Only issue might be the sump. The VX220 boys get the 2.2 with a supercharger and hots cams get lots of ponies out these little packages. The turbo models are also interchangable with SAAB turbo 2.0 and 2.2. Heads etc etc. Going to be plenty of scrap saab about the place over the next few years!

They like to rev as well.

Hopefully someone does the conversion and posts some info. Im not really the pioneering type.

bills Avatar
Bill Spohn

In reply to # 1960570 by BillC That transmission weights 126 lb's alone ! eye popping smiley The best I could find is that the turbo engine and all that intercooler junk is going to be another 35o lb's eye popping smiley that;s over 475 lb's setting there and you will have to reach behind the seat to shift it ! There also will be a lot of other fitment problems. Trans ratios are crap too 3.75,2.26,1.51,1.00,0.73 ; first gear would be worthless unless you spend more money changing the rear end. A 200lb Duratec and a 75lb close ratio T5 makes more since to me.

Bill

Some corrections to that information.

Bill, the transmission weighs only 107 lbs. The shifter is located in about the right place for an MGB, not somewhere behind you. The tranmission ratios are set that way for use with a 3.9 diff but 18" wheels. To use it with a car with 14" or 15" wheels, you would definitely want to go to a longer diff ratio, just as you do when using a T5. Replacing the rear end is a give, unless you have figured out a way to make a stock MGB diff handle 3-400 ft-lbs, right?

A Duratec is indeed a lighter engine, but it isn't a plug and play 290 BHP either.

West Vancouver BC

BillC Avatar
Bill C
Hoover, Alabama, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Lil Miss Behaving"

Well I did make a mistake Bill the transmission pictured above is a 6 speed not a 5 speed but it does weigh what I said. It is a Aisin Ay6 and I don't believe it came out of a Soltice , I would guess that engine and trans is out of a Cadillac CTS and that transmission would put the shifter at about the rear of the seat, just look at it ! Holly cow it looks like it is 34 to 36 inches behind the engine. Yes the Soltice 5 Speed box is 107 lb and it's a piece of crap. You can get bellhousings to put a T5 behind the ecotec I4 and it would be a strong engine in a MGB but it would not fit the MGB very well, so wide you would have to cut into the frame rails. Why use it when the Duratec engine weighs about 2/3 as much and has all the same potential and fits like a glove. Not a bad idea Bill , I just think not worth the trouble. I don't know of anyone putting this engine in an MGB and I bet I never will because you would have to do so much cutting and fitting it just would not be worth it. I don't mean to rain on your parade Bill but I looked into using this engine when I was deciding which engine I wanted to re-power and upgrade an MGB and I found it was not a good candidate. I don't want to argue with you but I just want anyone reading this to measure the Ecotec and realize all the work you will have to do to put one of these into an MGB. Quad 4 Rods has a bellhousing to put a T5 behind it because the Soltice Aisin 5 speed is crap and you better have great welding and fab skills. More power to anyone taking on a Ecotec MGB swap you have more time and patients than I do.

Bill C

Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   usa

Bill C,I have to disagree. I like the Duratec also,Zetec too. Any would be a upgrade over a stock MGB. I like the Ecotec also. The Aisan MA5 in the Solstice/Skye and Colorado/Canyon/Hummer is a fine transmission and used succesfully in Mallet LS conversions behind 400+ HP. Smoother shifting than the T5 and arguably stronger.Based on the R154 Supra which is used behind 900HP twin Turbo drag cars. If you prefer another engine or transmission that is fine, but be a little more open minded and respectful of alternative ideas.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG