Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

MGTD

Posted by 2manycars 
MGTD
2manycars Avatar
Bill B
Eastern, Conn., USA   usa

I know this is a MGB forum for engine swaps, but has anybody repowered a MGTD? What will fit, and what works good, and what would you do IF you were contemplating an engine swap?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
1978 MG MGB

Yes....the Volvo power plant was a very popular conversion back in the day.

I also saw a Ford 289 powered MGTF at one of the UML Summer Parties in the late 80's early 90's.

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged strut kits for the MGB bonnet, MGB and MGC bootlid, and MGB/GT or MGC/GT hatch since 1996. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
frankstrongoli Avatar
Frank Strongoli III
Fort Collins, CO, USA   usa
1966 Cadillac DeVille
1968 MG MGB GT "Wassabi"
1973 MG MGB GT "Firefly"
1984 Chevrolet S10

We've done a number of MGB swaps into TD's. Both left and right hand drive and with the stock four speed or Ford Sierra five speed. It's not a high hp modern engine but it's still double what the car had stock. And for those it matters to it keeps it all MG.

Member Services:
We specialize in the restoration, modification and maintenance of classic and collectible automobiles.
Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"
1998 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Bill, actually there are a lot more than MGB conversions on this forum. (Midget V6 here) There are several MGTDs around with later B drivetrains swapped in, it's not too difficult to do and makes for a pretty nice car that's still all MG if that makes any difference. I've seen Volvo as Rick said as well as a 1600cc Ford in a TF. Most V8s are a bit too wide for the T series hood lines to keep them hidden unless you sacrifice a lot of leg room which they don't have much of to start with. I'd stick with some other 4 cylinder powerplant or perhaps a 60 degree V6. Haven't seen any of those but should fit pretty well.
There are several old Chevy V8 conversions still around from the 60s when a lot of these cars were converted to drag cars, but for the most part they're pretty chopped up with the V8 and not really suitable as good street cars IMHO.

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   deu

for the looks, the Volvo B20 with Volvo four speed OD box is closer to the original xpag engine of the TD and provides enough power and torque. Wight is nearly the same, so there should not be any issues to the front suspension.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
2manycars Avatar
Bill B

I've been thinking of the MGB engine, but it would need the 5 speed conversion, since I think the overdrive is too big for the car. I was also thinking of a mustang 2.3 four cylinder with a 5 speed. I know it would look stupid, but it is light, small, has about 90 hp stock, and lots more with a turbo, and they are cheap and easy to find. My buddy has one with a 60 hp ford flathead, but while it looks cool, 60 hp is hardly worth the work.
Jack Dowling
Atlanta, USA   usa

Yes, you can put a V-8 in a TD without it being "chopped up". Attached are pictures of my 1953 MGTD with a Ford 289, with 3 2 bbl carbs. The transmission is a Ford Top Loader, with a TR4 rear end.

Yes, I am the same guy with the MGA V-12.

More pics to follow

Jack

Attachments:
DSC00018.jpg (41 KB) –
DSC00018.jpg

Jack Dowling
Atlanta, USA   usa

Another

Attachments:
DSC00017.jpg (35.5 KB) –
DSC00017.jpg

Jack Dowling
Atlanta, USA   usa

And another

Attachments:
DSC00015.jpg (30.2 KB) –
DSC00015.jpg

Re: MGTD
Jack Dowling
Atlanta, USA   usa

And final

Attachments:
DSC00013.jpg (40.5 KB) –
DSC00013.jpg

Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"
1998 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Wow Jack, you've got some nice toys to play with. That TD is great. It does look like you lost a lot of leg room, is it comfortable to drive? I certainly didn't mean to imply that all conversions were chop jobs, just that a lot of the conversions from the 60s to make drag cars weren't well finished as a lot of drag cars were in those days like this one.

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

Attachments:
LUFKINXV_ETT.jpg (36.9 KB) –
LUFKINXV_ETT.jpg

Jack Dowling
Atlanta, USA   usa

Bill,

The legroom is "comfortable" as I am 5'8". I have taken it on 250 mile trips, with no problem.

Jack
lars49 Avatar
Larry Barnes
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA "Gramps"
1971 Norton COMMANDO 750 "Snortin Norton"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "Maggie"

How about an Ecotec?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2manycars Avatar
Bill B

In reply to a post by lars49 How about an Ecotec?

I want to stay simple, with a carburetor, no fuel injection.
The mustang 2.3 is starting to look like a viable option.
V8MGBV8 Avatar
Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   usa

If this is a good solid car, you really should keep the TD running gear if you have it.
2manycars Avatar
Bill B

In reply to a post by V8MGBV8 If this is a good solid car, you really should keep the TD running gear if you have it.

I dont have the engine or trans, or any of the stuff that goes with it.
kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith
San Rafael, California, USA   usa
1950 MG Y-Type Saloon "MG YA"
1955 MG TF "MG TF/B PickUp"

Hi, I recently purchased a 1953 MG TD from a widow in San Diego. Her husband bought the car, disassembled, in 1985. He put the car back on the road with an engine, transmission and differential from a wrecked 1977 MGB. A definite performance improvement. He also converted the front brakes with MGA 15" wire wheels, disc and caliper units. There was no MG TD running gear with the car when he got it. Though it may have a lower value than original or restored cars, I can comfortably drive it on the freeway, keep up with my Triumph and MGB friends and have been enjoying the car daily for the last few months since it has been put back on the road. When I got the TD it had been sitting for several years since the previous owner's death and needed new hydraulic master and slave cylinders, wheel cylinders and brake caliper units as well as new carpet and freshening as the mice and rats had used it as a home for a good while. All in all, this car has been a delight to drive with lots of waves, compliments and "my dad had one of those" stories along the road. In my experience with old cars, driveability and reliability trump originality and "restored to original" glory any day. Good luck with your conversion!

Attachments:
P1020853.jpg (52.7 KB) –
P1020853.jpg

kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith

Car in San Diego

Attachments:
P1020861.jpg (60.7 KB) –
P1020861.jpg

kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith

Car at my house

Attachments:
1953MGTD_20100503_0085.jpg (59.1 KB) –
1953MGTD_20100503_0085.jpg

kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith

another engine photo

Attachments:
1953MGTD_20100405_0004.jpg (64.2 KB) –
1953MGTD_20100405_0004.jpg

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG