Please Sign In or Register to Search

1uz engine

Posted by dhen 
dhen Avatar
Darian Henderson
San Antonio, TX, USA   usa
1962 MG MGA Conversion "Mater"

Hi all,

OK, I'm actually researching this for another car, though I'd love to see one in an MG.

What do you guys know about the Toyota 1UZ-FE V8 engine found in the Lexus LS 400. I've been reading a lot about it and apparently it loves to rev, puts out a good amount of power, is reliable, and is much cheaper than the LS1.

Does anyone know anything about this engine? If anyone has experience with it I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Darian

1744 Avatar
Bill Guzman
California, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"

There is person who used visit this forum and actually did one, He waas base in Thailand. I have not heard from him in a while.

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Barry Robinson
Dubbo, Australia   aus

I was going to use one but found the width with the 4 cams a problem in fact the steering column comes out right where the head is. They are so much wider than anything else and decided that the only solution would be to cut the car in half and make it wider in the body which I was not prepared to do. It is a pity as they are so cheap in Aust, I put one in my son's 87 supra with a 5 speed and it is a brilliant car

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

Brillant engine. Manual trsansmission rare in US. Engine management can be tricky. As you noted, it is a bit wide.
Miata crowd has sniffed it our for a while but never caught on.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Barry Robinson
Dubbo, Australia   aus

they never came out with a manual anywhere in the world

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can

That would explain the difficulty in finding them with a manual tranny then..eh?! I am guessing someone in the aftermarket has stepped up to this plate them?

Barry Robinson
Dubbo, Australia   aus

There is stuff available but I built my own stuff.. Plate between bellhousing and box, modified GT4 celica flywheel, Hilux clutch etc.....

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can

In reply to a post by sprite059 There is stuff available but I built my own stuff.. Plate between bellhousing and box, modified GT4 celica flywheel, Hilux clutch etc.....

And that in a nutshell is why it will not be seen as a popular swap option. The machine shop work alone will eliminate most candidates and the mix and match custom components make for a maintenance nightmare for any future owners.

Buick/Rovers, 302 fords and even GM V6s and V8s can all be dropped in with off the shelf parts that you are confident will be available for the foreseeable future.

Pete

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
t.lay Avatar
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL, USA   usa

Best bets are combining with an R154 trans. I think there are some folks making adapters. Good for the unique factor, but for simplicity of a build, ease of parts and raw power, the LSx stuff is pretty hard to beat.

Peter Thomas
Victoria, Australia   aus

The 4 litre Lexus engine was only available with an auto from the factory but some places like Dellow build conversion kits for them using the Supra gearbox in most cases.

The engine itself measures a neat 700 mm in all three dimensions and is all alloy so the weight should be a step in the right direction too.

The engine management system is an essential part of the package and if you don't carry that over the engine will run delivering less than the power and torque levels in the Lexus.

Pete.

mgbgts Avatar
Rob Meier
Johnstown Ohio, USA   usa

I seen a good article of one in swapped into I think a corolla for autocrossing, but can't remember how I found it. But I found there is a site dedicated to this engine, and swapping it into other applications. Here's an article on that site with lots of info, the author makes an adapter plate to mate it to the Supra 5-speed for $250, and details all parts and machining required to do it.
http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe_info.html

Edit, I found the article, it was in Grassroots Motorsports.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/factory-upgrade/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-10 11:46 AM by mgbgts.

Alias Avatar
Arayan Lias
Bangkok, Thailand   tha

Hi Bill,

Still here lurking around. I've never done the Toyota UZ conversion, I went with the Toyota 3.0 2JZGE (I-6) instead. I considered the swap after I pulled out the Rover, since the UZs are in abundant here in Thailand but as Barry said, the engine is too wide. The twin cam set up just makes everything square, just won't fit. Not in an MG anyway.

Here in Thailand, many Range Rovers had their motors swapped out for the 1UZ/ 2UZ, the irony...

Colindf Avatar
Colin Fraser
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   nzl

Hi, I am putting a 1uz-fe engine into a 1980 MGB GT. I have attached a picture and if any one is interested let me know and I will keep the post going.
Cheers
Colin

Attachments:
IMG_1933.jpg    53 KB
IMG_1933.jpg

Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   usa

We are always interested! It is wide, but length and height look good. I would also like to see more pics of the RV8 front suspension.

dhen Avatar
Darian Henderson
San Antonio, TX, USA   usa
1962 MG MGA Conversion "Mater"

I'm always interested in different conversions. Got pictures?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG