MG Midget Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Lowering a Late Midget (1500)

Posted by razoredge34 
razoredge34 Avatar
Scott Perry
Simi Valley, California, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

I'm wondering if it's (reasonably) possible to lower a late model 1500 Midget. I see the Moss kits apply to earlier cars only. I'm only talking a tasteful drop of an inch give or take.

Thanks,

Scott

IronHead71 Avatar
Billy Flanders
Silver Spring MD, USA   usa

Heat the springs!!! Or cut them!!! Haha don't do that, its not safe! Other than that useless piece of info, I have no idea. This is were it gets turned over to the crafty veterans.

Hound Dawg Racing Avatar
T2-- Hound Dawg Racing
Phoenix, AZ, USA   usa

You can custom order a set of springs with whatever weight ratio and probably up to a 2" drop. I think you can custom order springs through Moss as well. If not, Winners Circle should be able to do it.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
owlman Avatar
Noah Deneau
Austin, TX, USA   usa

Yeah, Moss lists some different height front springs. The leaf spring lowering kit says thru '80.
I saw Victoria British has a 1/2" front lowering kit too.

moreso74 Avatar
David Maples
Augusta, Georgia, USA   usa

The Winner's Circle has spring pans that lower the front. Then use lowering blocks on the rear springs. Don't cut the front springs, it's not necessary.

David

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

You can lower the front, by spacing the spring pans lower in the lower control arms down, in the rear spacer blocks between the rear end housing and leaf springs.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-15 07:45 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
razoredge34 Avatar
Scott Perry
1976 MG MGB

Great, that is just the info I needed. I guess my Moss Spridget catalog is out of date or I (more likely) misread it.

Thanks,

Scott

owlman Avatar
Noah Deneau
Austin, TX, USA   usa

I hope it works out for ya! I've been thinking about doing this as well.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
razoredge34 Avatar
Scott Perry
1976 MG MGB

I'm planning it as my February (or so) project. I'll post some pics...

dcz
Daniel Zeigler
USA   usa

I am also thinking about lowering my car. Can someone place up some links or part numbers to the parts needed? I am not familiar with Winner's circle as I am new to the whole MG thing.

Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada   can
1961 MG MGA

www.spridget.com/

http://www.spridget.com/catalog/21.gif
http://www.spridget.com/catalog/22.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-06 06:53 AM by Derek up North.

Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"
1998 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Victoria British has the kits for the front and the rear shown on the page linked. You can easily make your own front kit from parts available at your local hardware store also and probably save a few bucks. Use grade 8 bolts just to be safe and some steel tube or spacers the length you want to drop the front, usually about 1" is the max recommended for this method. If you want to go lower then you need to look into shorter springs. The lowered pan method will not alter the ride where shorter springs may. In the rear it's probably just as well to purchase the kit. http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.asp?page=23

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

titus2669 Avatar
Titus Popa
Sacramento, USA   usa

^^ So if I purchase the springs do I need to purchase the lowering front kit as well? Will I drop it even lower if I purchase both then just with the springs?

Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"
1998 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Unless you have a race car IMHO you don't want to go more than about 1 1/2" lower on a RB car. Get much lower than a regular CB and you'll really start having problems negotiating speed bumps and man hole covers in the street. Consider your exhaust pipe as flat and expendable, it won't last long if the car is too low.
There's no magic formula for how a car will react to any given spring as far as ride height reduction. I tried heavy duty 1500 front springs in my V6 Midget and the front was lower and softer than with the stock 1275 springs and using one spring spacer. I wouldn't advise combining lowering methods until you've tried one and are sure that you need or want to go lower. The best method would be replacing the springs, both at the front and rear, but the lowering blocks and spacers in the front pans works well for a moderate drop and is much less expensive.

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG