Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
Hello,

So recently we were going to go on a drive, when we realized the clutch pedal wasn't working, and was getting pushed to the floor with almost no resistance. (like stepping on a ripe plum...) and the stick shifter thing (I forgot the right name.) could be moved to each gear without even touching the clutch pedal. Any Help?!?!?!?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Checked the fluid yet?

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Are you moving the gear lever while the car is stationary and not running? Has the car been driven at all?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
I'm pretty sure the fluid got checked, but I'll check again. It was stationary when we tried it. And yes, we've been driving this car for a few weeks and its had a few fuel lines/pumps problems, but other than that its been fine.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
What year?

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Clutch master cylinder is the smaller reservoir next to your brake master cylinder under the hood. You may have a slow leak from the boot and pushrod. If that is the case, you would see fluid puddling on the floor underneath the pedals as it follows the pedal arm. You also have a slave cylinder underneath the car which may have failed but you should see fluid weeping out of that under the car if it has failed.

no puddles in or under the car. The year is '75.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
The reason I asked what year is if it’s a 1500 ,which it is ,it’s possible that the pivot pin has fallen out. It’s a common problem with the Spitfires.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Carver, like Ernie says, what year? I see that you put the year in your post but if you put the year in your profile it will appear every post without you have to post it each time. One time deal and you are done. Helps both you and the person replying to your post!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Im pretty sure its a 1500 engine. (4 cyl?)

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I'd check the slave rod to see if it's connected. There could be oblong holes in a lot of connections that can contribute to a failure. The clutch adjusting clevis coming out of the clutch master cylinder, the clutch pedal bore, the slave rod and clutch fork bores. I'd start with one and work my way around checking for sloppy fits.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I change cars too often for it to be a one time deal. You have to guess what I'm driving this week. grinning smiley

In reply to # 3680860 by ice Carver, like Ernie says, what year? I see that you put the year in your post but if you put the year in your profile it will appear every post without you have to post it each time. One time deal and you are done. Helps both you and the person replying to your post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 02:12 PM by refisk.

ice Avatar
LOL, Rick we know you are always there....maybe take an average of the years? But fits esp helpful for the new guys to post the yea of their cars.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

I think I found the problem.

Under the MG body, I can see a pipe- type rod that seems to have fallen out at one end.
It obviously isn't meant to be there.

Any ideas?

ice Avatar
Carver, need pics guy!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster