MG Carry Along Tool Kit?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
If I am gonna make our MG Midget a daily driver, I am obviously gonna have a few break downs (at least) and want to be prepared for the inevitable and worse-case-scenarios.

Any tips on what should fill the tool bag?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 07:47 PM by CarverBoldman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Cell phone!

ha ha..ok, but what if the person doesn't want to face shame and permanent embarresment for the rest of his life from his family and friends for a unknown breakdown on a highway in the middle of nowhere...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Set of wrenches / spark plug wrench / pliers / screwdrivers pozi and flat / that should be enough for roadside repairs also carry a long plug lead / a spark plug / points if you have them / rotor arm red one / condenser / spare fan belt / jack and wheel brace / throttle cable / perhaps others will add to my list. Oh and there's no shame or embarrassment if one of these old cars break down , rise above the wise cracks and don't take the bait

Can you add a picture and year of your car to your avatar so we have some idea what engine you have ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 03:52 AM by bev sleet.

wrenchingaround Avatar
wrenchingaround Silver Member Louis Zammit
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
........., a spool of wire, electrical tape and a spare fuel pump.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Driving and maintaining these cars reminds me of the snowmobiles back in the 60's! Ya never left home with out a bunch of spark plugs! Oh, and a can of ether.

ntorch Avatar
ntorch n torch
Blandon, PA, USA   USA
I carry one of those emergency kits from Walmart/Target. It includes ratchet set, screw drivers, flashlight, jumper cables, blanket etc. I’ve used the screw drivers and jumper cables already. And of course a cell phone and AAA card. Used both of those as well.

1976 MG Midget--Original Tundra Green Paint

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
...and a book of matches-if you need to reset the points, the matchbook cover makes a great feeler gage.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

how do I add a pic of our MG? do I register it on my home page?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Carver, you can add pics from your home page here or in the attachments listed above the message box here. See, under Attachments: Click to attach a photo or file. A browse option will appear so you can add pics from your computer file.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3680467 by AN5L8016 ...and a book of matches-if you need to reset the points, the matchbook cover makes a great feeler gage.

And....if you really get mad at it!

Seriously, I carry a combination screw driver, a pair of pliers, and a small Crescent wrench. Throw in maybe a vice grips and definitely a roll of baling wire. Things fall off our cars!

flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, IL, USA   USA
I carry one of the blow molded cases with a set of inexpensive Husky tools and the phone number of my friend who runs a towing/recovery business.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

ChrisMadge Chris Madge
Bristol, SOUTH GLOUCESTER, UK   GBR
It might be easier to just tow a spare car.......

tghw Avatar
tghw Gold Member Tyler HW
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Rosie"
My kit for my 5,300 mile road trip is posted here.

A tool roll was one of the best things I've gotten for the car. It's compact, well organized, and doesn't clank around in the boot. I also have a small tool bag to hold all of the spare parts I carry.

I would also get a proper scissor jack to replace the T jack that came with the car. The T jacks can be dangerous.

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
The scissor jack from an early Mazda RX-1 is small and aluminum (light weight).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster