Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

taskadog Avatar
taskadog Phil Burke
Tequesta, FL, USA   USA
I realize that to go to Spridget 60 this summer, and keep my job!, I'll have to do some evening/night driving.
I enjoy driving at night, much cooler and less traffic!
I have LED tail and brake lights and relays in place for my existing halogen headlight bulbs.

So, what's the BEST option for headlights? if money weren't an object, but of course it is...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
Get some Cibie/Hella headlight replacements (with an 80/100 watt bulb),
& the same brand(s) of driving lights.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I have fitted Sylvania halogens that were fitted to the early Miata's for one of my cars that I like the best. I'm sure there are brighter headlights now and I'm not sure that you can find those exact headlights anymore but the reason I like them is that the high and low beam are suited for a car of ours height. I have a set of Wagner halogens on another car and I'm sure they are designed for a big pickup or similiar. When the bright beam is set correctly the low beam will only illuminate the road about 50 feet in front of the car. This seems to be a common problem with other lights that are on the market as well.

I'd be interested in other folks experience on this as well. I don't mind paying for better lights but really wouldn't want to end up with the same problem of mismatched high and low beams.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
X2 on the Cibie/Hella lights with H4 bulbs if money is no object. IIRC, you can get the Hellas (don't know about Cibie) with Euro or US spec reflectors, and also designed for LHD or RHD due to the shape of the beam cut off. I got Wipac because they were cheaper and they seem to work OK. I have the "standard" 55/60 W bulb, and would get the 80/100 (for my off road use, of course), but am concerned about the heat they might put off. The lens get pretty hot now with the current bulbs.

Doug, do you have any issues with the 80/100 bulbs as far as heat? Any oncoming drivers flash their lights at you?

taskadog Avatar
taskadog Phil Burke
Tequesta, FL, USA   USA
Is any one using LED bulbs in their Hella or Cibie housings?
As Jack asked, are the 80/100 halogens too hot?

GR1275 Gary R
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Take a look at the LED units. There are several on Amazon for $150 or less. They seem to be very popular with the Jeep and motorcycle crowds...

Gary

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Jack, do you consider the high and low beams correct for our cars? A real issue for me!

Kurt

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I have some Hella's on my bugeye, and Hella "knock off" brand on my Midget. Honestly, I like the "knock-off" brand better, but they are no longer available.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

1974MGMidget Avatar
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
I really can't say if they are appropriate for our cars. Seems like if they are aimed properly, they shouldn't be vehicle specific. Here is a good site for lighting info:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Good section on how to aim your lights there. LEDs are sexy now, and they are good for lighting up your interior or trunk, but I just don't think they are far enough along for headlights (unless you want the little glow rings around your headlights). They are fine for Jeeps and rockcrawlers to light up 50' in front of you, but I don't think they are good for 1000' in front of you when you're trying to see that deer at 60 mph, IMHO. At least not in our price range!

I do see that there are now some High Efficiency H4's, that are 55/60W rated, but have higher lumen output, which I would assume would not be any hotter than the "standard" 55/60W bulb. I did see that some of the HO bulbs 90/100 says that they may damage plastic housings!

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I just went and looked at the lights on my Midget. They are autopal brand. Domed glass with metal reflectors and E-code refraction. They are apparently still available. My sprite has flat lenses DOT spec refraction. As mentioned, I prefer the ones on the Midget.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

1974MGMidget Avatar
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Kurt, if you look at the Daniel Stern website, under Tech and How to Aim Your Lights, it does mention some differences for different lights - E-code, US-DOT VOL, VOR or VO. Maybe that has something to do with the difference you are seeing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 08:55 PM by 1974MGMidget.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3679346 by 1974MGMidget Kurt, if you look at the Daniel Stern website, under Tech and How to Aim Your Lights, it does some some differences for different lights - E-code, US-DOT VOL, VOR or VO. Maybe that has something to do with the difference you are seeing?

Thanks Jack but I'm still using the old sealed halogen's and there is a considerable difference in them. Like the looks of the newer with H4 bulbs. If there is that much to be gained I will have to give them a try.

Kurt

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
In reply to # 3679114 by 1974MGMidget X2 on the Cibie/Hella lights with H4 bulbs if money is no object. IIRC, you can get the Hellas (don't know about Cibie) with Euro or US spec reflectors, and also designed for LHD or RHD due to the shape of the beam cut off. I got Wipac because they were cheaper and they seem to work OK. I have the "standard" 55/60 W bulb, and would get the 80/100 (for my off road use, of course), but am concerned about the heat they might put off. The lens get pretty hot now with the current bulbs.

Doug, do you have any issues with the 80/100 bulbs as far as heat? Any oncoming drivers flash their lights at you?

Haven't used them yet.I've got a few sets of headlight replacements/driving lights that I'll hopefully
be installing on the GT/Midget when our ("new"winking smiley house closes at the end of the month.

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Hella H4 conversion with Piaa bulbs is what I put in all the cars I build .

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I have Bosch motorcycle headlights. Insanely bright. European pattern, left hand drive with razor sharp low beam cutoff. They light up reflective road signs during the daytime... on sunny days! I've never had a car flash it's lights at me though so the low beam cutoff is good. I'm using $9 Canadian tire bulbs in them.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster