Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tater salad Avatar
tater salad Gold Member Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
Jimmy, I got all my wire wheels done in Greensboro NC place called Hendrix wire wheel they have a web site

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3679384 by James E Thanks Guys! I tape my rims. Haven't tried powder, didn't know there were tubes for radials. The tires are chaffing on the sides of the tires. I have many wire wheels so I still might try to make one tubeless. I'll let you know how it worked out!

Don't do it man! You can't adjust the spokes once you put goop on them. Although I suppose most wire wheels are no longer adjustable due to rusty nipples.

I used windshield urethane sealant and it it seals the spokes just fine... cheap too. I just did my spare as an experiment. I went to a lot of trouble to free up my spokes and adjust my wheels so no way am I going to goop them up. Radial tubes will fix your problem. I think "rubbing and label chaffing" are excuses for improper installation. Tractor/farm equipment repair places do a lot of tubes. You might have better luck there if haven't tried that.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 02:03 PM by pinkyponk.

rockmidget Peter Rock
Wausau, WI, USA   USA
Good info, I have seen other posts about this problem. Should I send the MMotors tubes back that I bought and get some from my local tire dealer? I will be mounting up some spokes in a month or two.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
I trust Carlisle tubes-- made in USA, not China; the rubber holds up better. Summit racing has them, size ER-12/13 (for a 155/80R13 tire), part #322160, for $6.97 each. If you're running bigger tires, use FR-13/14. And I use heavy duty duct tape over the nipples.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 05:36 PM by Midgies Dad.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3680754 by rockmidget Good info, I have seen other posts about this problem. Should I send the MMotors tubes back that I bought and get some from my local tire dealer? I will be mounting up some spokes in a month or two.

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! I have three unused ones that they can have as well! I didn't get 50 miles with the one I fitted. Major flaw in the manufacturing that was apparent after the failure. Didn't do my tire any good while I was stopping.

Kurt.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I've always wrapped the bead laced spokes with a few layers of electrical tape and used the stock rubber band in the center mounted with PLENTY of baby powder with 0 problems. I also partially inflate and deflate the tube several times before calling it good. Use good radial tubes.
GB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster