Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up and assessing the car. There were a few surprises found but nothing too big to deal with, with the inner right rear chassis leg to transmission tunnel rust being the worst. I think I can get away with patching and bracing the floor pans rather than a full replacement. But the grinder will have the final say after it gets put to metal. It was nice to have all four of the seat belt anchor bolts come out easily and find out that the handbrake operates freely, so thumbs upthumbs up. I also took the opportunity to poorly slice out the rusted battery tray and heater box area since my sawzall was nearby. I'll clean up the rest later. Next up is the underbody and suspension.

Before:

After:

And Joe's new seats: winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
That's one cool looking steering wheel!winking smiley

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
The PO thought so! He had aspirations of creating his own wood wheel using that as a core. Unfortunately it's of no use to me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
That's not the worst battery tray I've ever seen. Most of mine rusted below where a plastic tray keeps the battery "buoyant" and also on the firewall where the raised set-off areas were stamped. Snap a picture of the rusty area you said near the transmission tunnel. That sounds like a tough one to weld in unless you have the shell on a rotisserie.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
In reply to # 3679746 by littlecars That's not the worst battery tray I've ever seen. Most of mine rusted below where a plastic tray keeps the battery "buoyant" and also on the firewall where the raised set-off areas were stamped. Snap a picture of the rusty area you said near the transmission tunnel. That sounds like a tough one to weld in unless you have the shell on a rotisserie.

It may be tough to see on some monitors as the colors are all close together, but look directly above the hole in the floor board and you'll see the area. It should be doable without a rotisserie. *crosses fingers*

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Not much to update on the chassis lately but I have been busy this week getting things in line on the engine. Earlier this week the cylinder head was dropped off at the machine shop for cleaning and pressure testing. Yesterday ianjoub was kind enough to let me have a look at his Hayabusa MG project up close and discuss some points on it. And today I finally split the case on the 1200 for a closer inspection. Aside from the sludge in the sump and the rust leakage from cyl #4, everything was in surprisingly good shape for having 44k on the odometer and sitting outside in the rain for three years! I plan on replacing the mains, rod bearings, seals, and gaskets since it is apart but that should be about it. Next up is further disassembly of the drivetrain for cleaning and putting a piston in the mail to JE for sizing.

L8RSK8R Ciaran W
LA JOLLA, CA, USA   USA
Oh boy, anudder bike engine swap. I love it.
Those motors were about 145HP stock.

Hopefully you'll update as Ian Joub did thumbs up

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
In reply to # 3682846 by L8RSK8R Oh boy, anudder bike engine swap. I love it.
Those motors were about 145HP stock.

Hopefully you'll update as Ian Joub did thumbs up

Bingo. thumbs up Hopefully I'll be north of the stock 149 with the upgrades I have in store. We'll see that JE says about the pistons later next week. At the least I'm hoping to shave some weight off and bump the displacement. A more modern ring package should help things too.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster