Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tater salad Avatar
tater salad Gold Member Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
I rem, many many years back someone posted that he was flushing out his motor with running vinegar in it for so many hours
anyone remember reading that and well would it work or is it a bad idea

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
White vinegar definitely eats rust up. I have a few parts soaking in it now. I don't see how it could hurt an engine

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I know it takes scaling off of almost everything else, should work fine for a radiator. Long term, I don't know. IMHO, if I did it, I would put the vinegar in the system, run the engine till it was warm to hot and then shut down and let it sit for a day. Then the next day I would start it up till warm and then drain the system and flush.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Morning Todd, yeah I have heard of using vinegar but never tried it myself , personally I use 1kg of washing soda dissolved in hot water in the system and run the car for a week or two then flush it out , you will be surprised what comes out when you flush it, I have used this method for fifty two years so I know it's a safe method and it works.

Gravy Avatar
Gravy Graeme Evans
Clarence Town, NSW, Australia   AUS
Todd

A solution that is more radical than the use of vinegar is to fill the cooling system with Coca Cola. Not sure of the result I have used it as a soldering flux to get me out of trouble.

Graeme

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
If you drop a copper penny in a Coca Cola can it will dissolve. You want that in your radiator?

flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, IL, USA   USA
Many years back I tried vinegar in an old SB Chevy all I managed to accomplish was plugging the radiator with all of the rust chunks/flakes that came out of the block.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Todd, I remember that post. I really considered doing a vinegar flush having the engine and tranny out several times with a clutch issue. After some thought I didn't do it because of time issues, and wanting to drive right away. But, now I have a spare 948 engine and tranny to play with, so I'm pretty sure I'll do the V flush and see what comes out?? I can't seem to remember the ratio, maybe 3-1?

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
What's wrong with all the radiator/engine specific flush products available at your local auto parts store? Are they too "environmentally safe" now to be effective?

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
I have been using vinegar for things like cleaning out my Kuerig coffee maker, rust on tools, to dentures, to cleaning lead out of a gun barrel (mixed 50/50 with Peroxide); it works. I don't see why it would not work for flushing a radiator.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
I also just learned that vinegar mixed with water 3-1 will disinfect things. I have been using a mix of 1 cup of vinegar, 1 cup of white sugar and a banana peel to a gallon jug filled half with water. Then hung in the middle of fruit trees expecially apple trees will attract a lot of the bugs that put the worms in apples and eat the leaves. Doesn't attract the pollinating bees though. Been using this mix in my apple orchard for years. works great!

CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
how would you go about this whole process? I honestly have no idea how you would do it.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
What process are you referring to Carver? The engine, apple trees or disinfecting?

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"how would you go about this whole process? I honestly have no idea how you would do it."

1) drain cooling system and back flush with a garden hose (open the heater valve to get that water too), rinse until what comes out of the engine is clear

2) refill cooling system with about half/half water & vinegar (in this case tap water is ok)

3) re-attach hoses and run the engine until fully warm (say, 20 minutes)

4) flush again, and marvel at how much more gunk comes out (repeat the process if it seems needed)

5) fully drain system so that there is no more of the tap water in it

6) re-fill with distilled water and antifreeze in appropriate % for your lowest temperature

57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
In reply to # 3675723 by Gravy Todd

A solution that is more radical than the use of vinegar is to fill the cooling system with Coca Cola. Not sure of the result I have used it as a soldering flux to get me out of trouble.

Graeme

What I use in my boat ( Twin 350 Chevy Crusaders with closed fresh water cooling) is a commercial brand for just that. Flushing cooling systems. It's nothing more than Phosphoric Acid (Same as the sweetener on Coca Cola which makes it a rust remover) and Ospho metal prep.
An adapter to suck a mixture of this stuff & water into the cooling system Shut it off & sit a day. Reconnect & see all the crap that comes out. Do the same for A/C heat exchange. Takes care of shells, barnacles & to. Safe on copper

The older I get, the faster I was.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster