does anyone recognize the model of this HOWE radiator, need to replace

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

EMG536 Ernie Aschenbach
RICHMOND, VA, USA   USA
I need help to replicate HOWE radiator with unique fittings for an engine I bought. Engine did not include competition radiator. Radiator is, apparently, top down not cross-flow. Water pump & thermostat in- and out fittings are on left/driver side with unique overflow fitting from top of thermostat housing to top right of radiator. Radiator does no have filler cap. Custom fillercap is routed via thermostat housing. See first 3 photos from original race car. 4th photo is in my car without radiator. Motor is custom built 1275+. Can anyone ID the HOWE radiator model number? I cannot match via HOWE website. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ERNIE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 01:38 PM by EMG536.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DANHEATH1.jpeg    44.3 KB
DANHEATH1.jpeg

DANHEATH2.jpeg    51.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DANHEATH3.jpeg    53.8 KB
20171019_165019.jpg    66.1 KB
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Probably something that was custom built by Howe , it is a cross flow (tanks are on the sides not top and bottom ) . If you can get the dimensions of it just contact Howe or any other custom radiator manufacture and they can build you one for you .

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
You keeping the hardtop, Ernie?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lrsmg Avatar
lrsmg Silver Member Larry Smith
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Ernie, I have a very similar one set up the same way the Howe is. It came with the race car project I bought. Mine is a Griffin made in South Carolina. http://www.griffinrad.com/

Someone said it might be a Jetta radiator. Inlet and outlet are 1 1/4", both on the driver's side. Mine might still have the part number on it.

Larry

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Ernie,

I'll suggest you post your inquiry and photo in the MG Motorsports forum. That's home to most of the Howe and Griffin radiators in Spridgets.

Back in the 80's-90's, we used Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco rads in our racing Spridgets but I don't hear much about them lately.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

lrsmg Avatar
lrsmg Silver Member Larry Smith
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Ernie, take a look at this Griffin radiator. It has dual outlets on the right. You want dual outlets on the left.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N0KL0E/ref=dra_a_ms_ss_hn_xx_P1910_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=dc5ff5fe1026a3743b1ce7820fcc6941_S

Larry

westfield7 Silver Member Michael Wooten
In the path of Totality, SC, USA   USA
1983 Westfield Seven "Green Car"
Ernie, looking at your third photo there seems to be a grayer line that indicates that the radiator is a double pass crossflow. As others have suggested, Griffin can make you one to match the original.

EMG536 Ernie Aschenbach
RICHMOND, VA, USA   USA
Yes. I plan to keep the hardtop. Sorry.

VintageBob Avatar
VintageBob Platinum Member Bob Crow
Alvin, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The Green Car"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The White Car"
Hi Ernie. Why not deal with Howe Radiators direct?

http://howeracing.com/

Bob.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Yeah looks like the VW radiator, the give-away is the modified thermostat housing , A series has 1" hoses, the VW has 1-1/4". Here's the lat VW radiator swap I did on a Spridget, I used the Valeo OEM type radiator, because it lighter than the aluminum aftermarket ones, and just as reliable. The only difference I see on your Howe is the fact your car does not run a water catch tank, but rather return overflow line back to the radiator side tank, this could have been custom ordered form Howe or had aluminum bung fitting added and welded in place after the purchase.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 06:06 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others

Attachments:
Pictures 252.jpg    56.9 KB
Pictures 252.jpg

Pictures 253.jpg    32.3 KB
EMG536 Ernie Aschenbach
RICHMOND, VA, USA   USA
Thanks to all who have been responding to my post. I contacted HOWE and HOWE said they can build whatever I want. They suggested I not use a double-pass design, because the double pass adds more cost to the build and may not add much efficiency to the cooling. My goal is to match the plumbing depicted in my post and not reconfigure the "plumbing."

I am interested in what others think about the "double vs. single pass" design. I see lots of ads for 2 and 3 pass radiators. So there must be some benefit. Thanks again. Keep the ideas flowing. ERNIE

EMG536 Ernie Aschenbach
RICHMOND, VA, USA   USA
Hap, thanks for the ideas and photos of that sharp looking car. Am checking the model radiator you used.

When I looked closer at (my) photo 2, showing the thermostat housing, there appears to be a metal brade return line to the top right of the radiator and a black rubber over-flow line to an over flow tank not shown in the photo, probably tucked up into the left-driverside fender. I don't understand why 2 lines would be configured like this. Any ideas? I would expect the overflow would take most of the water and evacuate the cooling system. Apparently, there is some secret I need to learn about this configuration. Forensic photo-interpretation is getting interesting.

Thanks again. ERNIE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 10:58 AM by EMG536.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster