MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bugeye rust repair with some crash damage.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
My spot welder came from HF. It's the 220 volt model. It weighs 30 pounds I think. Very heavy. It does do a good job but it wouldn't run off the extension cord from my generator. I had to buy an 8 gauge(!) cord for a welder. It's thicker than a garden hose! Spot welders are very sensitive to voltage drop from extension cords.

I sat the welder on a foot stool to do the little patch I showed in the last post. I really think remote tongs is the answer. The clamping force does not need to very high. In fact too tight a clamping force will give you poor welds and causes the tongs to stick to the welds. There is a bit of an art to running a spot welder. (not much... but a bit)

I plan on spot welding the sills in so I will be forced to find a solution fairly soon.

Thanks for the depth reading. I really need a pattern for the shape pressed into the pan. It's a shame we don't have all the data Barney has gathered for the MGA crowd.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 09:10 PM by pinkyponk.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Let me see what I can do for more measurements. Won't be able to pass them along til this evening though. The shape of the depression is really a bit complicated unless you have some type of press. On the drivers side of my 71 I just made the floor flat and it works fine. The 67 I did the same thing, both the 67 and the 71 I used SS to replace the floor boards.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

pinkyponk Avatar
That would be great Larry! I won't be needing floors for a quite a while so no rush. I haven't figured out how to make them but it must be possible. I think I can do it with some sort of hammer form. I do have access to a pretty big press if it comes to that.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
I cut away the rest of the rocker panel and test fitted the new ones from Ashley Hinton. They seem to fit the space nicely. The only thing I've noticed so far is the flange at the front where it welds to the side foot well panel is about 1/4" less width. Won't affect anything.

I think I'm pretty much stuck now until I can get the A post repaired or find a new one. Otherwise I can't see how the door will fit.

Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 09:11 PM by pinkyponk.

Attachments:
rocker test 001.JPG    49.1 KB
rocker test 001.JPG

rocker test 003.JPG    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
pinkyponk Avatar
Finally got back to work on the A post. I decided to make a patch and use as much of the original part as I could. I removed the remains of the A post and developed a pattern for hammer forming a new piece. The post had been damaged in an accident and was pretty bent up. It also looked to me like it had a "portapower" dent in it from someone "enlarging" the door hole. I managed to get the dents and bends out. Amazing what you can do with a hammer and patience.

I used MDF based on favorable reports on this site. It works great... very hard and keeps it's edges even under vigorous hammering. I bent a 1/2" flange along one side and clamped the piece between the halves of the form with lots of clamps, then carefully hammered it over with a dead blow hammer. I found it developed a wave from the bending that had to be worked out by shrinking with the rubber hammer. I "gathered" the extra material by moving the clamps closer together on either side of the wave and hit it to drive it down. Worked fairly well. The part got a bit of a curve along the bottom on the curved side from the wide curved flange so I flattened the bottom of the part with a drift on my anvil. Just hammered along the corner, using the drift as a punch.

I used remnants of the original part to figure out where to cut the patch so it would fit up and end up the correct length. Then I cut it wrong (too short) and started over. (repeat above steps) The new part was cut properly and tacked in place. Fits really nice. Next step will be making a new hinge plate bracket and drilling the holes.

Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 02:11 PM by pinkyponk.

Attachments:
A post TF 005.JPG    54.6 KB
A post TF 005.JPG

Apost hammer form 002.JPG    40.4 KB
Apost hammer form 003.JPG    33.3 KB
Apost hammer form 004.JPG    26.2 KB
Apost hammer form 005.JPG    53.4 KB
Apost hammer form 006.JPG    26.2 KB
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Looks good, one can see lots of work going into the car!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Pretty neat! I have used MDF for years for making furniture (stable base for vacuum-applied exotic wood veneer) and ultra-stiff/durable boxes and anti-torsion platforms (my 6' router table and planer/miter saw stand), but never for this. Great idea and nice results!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster