MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bugeye rust repair with some crash damage.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm in need of of a bit of help on the shape of the front of the footwell. Not the inner toe board, I have that, I need to know what happens at the front edge indicated by the yellow arrow. Neither side of my car holds any clues. Is there a flange for the floor pan along the bottom and is there anything along the outer edge down where the sill fastens on? I'm just replacing the missing part. The rest is in good shape.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
footwell front panel patch.jpg    78.5 KB
footwell front panel patch.jpg

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Adrian, attached is some pics of the area I think you are looking for. See if they are useful. Some are on the side as the car is on a rotisserie. Hope that helps, if not give me a buzz at 336-837-8501.

Thnx

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
67 floor and frt panel.JPG    69.4 KB
67 floor and frt panel.JPG

67 floor pass side frt panel.JPG    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
67 looking to frt pass side.JPG    32.1 KB
SDC12294.JPG    34.1 KB
SDC12296.JPG    25.9 KB
SDC12298.JPG    32.1 KB
67 floor and corner.JPG    61.6 KB
SDC12295.JPG    31.6 KB
SDC12290.JPG    34.5 KB
67 floor and kick panel.JPG    34.9 KB
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Adrian:

You seem to have it under control, but man, when you bought the car I sure thought it was better than it turned out to be.

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
Thanks Larry! The second to last photo from the outside is the the area I'm looking for. It looks like the front panel just hangs down and the floor has the flange for the welds.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3666644 by NOHOME Adrian:

You seem to have it under control, but man, when you bought the car I sure thought it was better than it turned out to be.

Pete

Me too... but it was buried inside a barn and an auction setting... not much time to figure it out. I didn't notice any of the accident damage or the gallons of filler. The previous owner knew how to hide sins. All the poor repairs must have been done 30 years ago (I've never seen so much bronze) so it had "patina" over all the bodges. You couldn't really tell much was up until I took out the interior panels. Then the wrinkles and damaged panels could be seen. It's still a lot better than the one you did. grinning smiley

Actually I don't consider it that bad. I replaced a lot more metal on my B. These things are like hen's teeth around here. I would buy it again in a heartbeat for what I paid for it.

Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 03:48 PM by pinkyponk.

Attachments:
Bugeye 021.JPG    45.5 KB
Bugeye 021.JPG

ice Avatar
How bout these?
Think you are right about the flange being on the floor panel then turning up for the weld to the vertical panel. The angled 1/2 panel has flanges that are welded to the floor and vertical panels.
Seems that I remember a small panel that fits between the vertical kick panel and the rocker panel. Yep, looked up the two small panels in the Moss parts catalog, parts 17 and 18 on pg 52 catalog SPM-98. They aren't very complicated so a guy with your talent could make one to cover the open space.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
67 MG jan 12 floor panel work.jpg    32.1 KB
67 MG jan 12 floor panel work.jpg

67 right frt of rocker panel.jpg    27.6 KB
hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
In reply to # 3666653 by pinkyponk Thanks Larry! The second to last photo from the outside is the the area I'm looking for. It looks like the front panel just hangs down and the floor has the flange for the welds.

Adrian

Yes, the front panel just hangs down and the floor panel has a flange that laps to the front panel. The front panel extends about 1/2" past the end of the floor flange. After welding, the front panel gets flanged over 90 degrees.

Attached are the best shots I could find showing this. These are from my Innocenti, but should be the same as your bugeye.

Attachments:
IMG_1384.JPG    62 KB
IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG    58.1 KB
ice Avatar
Karl, the car on the rotessie is a 67 that I made into a RWA car. I attached some of the pics on what my 71 and 67 looked like as I changed them to a RWA also. I always liked the RWA cars, nothing against the SWA cars but just my preference.
Changing those cars into a RWA was an interesting project. I think the second pic shows how I added a lip to the inside of the recut arch so it would look exactly like a BE fender when you run your hand around the inside of the well.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
67 Right Wheel cut out 67.jpg    28.5 KB
67 Right Wheel cut out 67.jpg

67 under fender rocker joint 67.JPG    27.7 KB
71 making the cut interior panel shown.JPG    34.3 KB
Side view mar 09.JPG    58.2 KB
71 flare with bondo.JPG    51.6 KB
67 Rot MG wheel cut out metal work done.jpg    22.5 KB
67 Midget wheel cut out.jpg    35.9 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
Thanks guys. That explains it so I can get that panel made and work my way back to putting some more metal back in.

I always liked the RWA better too Larry. That looks like a lot of work... I suppose if the arches were rusty it would be less work than putting them back stock?

Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 07:36 PM by pinkyponk.

pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3666677 by hpmowog
[/quote]

Yes, the front panel just hangs down and the floor panel has a flange that laps to the front panel. The front panel extends about 1/2" past the end of the floor flange. After welding, the front panel gets flanged over 90 degrees.

Attached are the best shots I could find showing this. These are from my Innocenti, but should be the same as your bugeye.
[/quote]

You mean like in this diagram?

Adrian

Attachments:
Bugeye floor.jpg    14.6 KB
Bugeye floor.jpg

hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
Quote:
You mean like in this diagram?

Adrian

Yes, exactly. The front bulkhead panel was probably flanged before assembly at the factory, but I found it easier to weld (and grind) with it unflanged since I was just replacing the floors, and then bent it over after welding the floor pans in. Since you are making a new front bulkhead panel, it would probably make a neater job if you flanged it first on the bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 08:07 PM by hpmowog.

pinkyponk Avatar
I think I'll bend it first and weld it from out side the footwell... from the front.

Adrian

pinkyponk Avatar
I made and fitted the front panel of the footwell tonight. Seems like an odd way to do it. I hope I did it right. (I laid a piece of scrap in place to represent the floor panel)

Adrian

Attachments:
front of well 005.JPG    35.2 KB
front of well 005.JPG

pinkyponk Avatar
A tiny bit of progress today. I repaired the inner frame/floor area. Got to use the new spot welder a bit. The thing weighs a ton. Very difficult to hold steady out at arms length. I need to figure out how to make remote tongs. Anyone done that?

My little test floor section seems to line up. I'll soon be able to make the real floors. I plan on doing it as a front floor and a rear floor with the join at the cross member frame. Anyone got measurements for the foot well depression in the front floor pan? There is nothing left of mine to go by.

Adrian

Attachments:
inner flange house 006.JPG    49.4 KB
inner flange house 006.JPG

inner flange house 008.JPG    41.7 KB
ice Avatar
Adrian, thnx for the comments on the spot welder. Where did you buy it from? I know HF has them but they do seem a bit heavy and clumsy. What voltage does it sue?
For extended work, could you rig up your (if you have one) engine puller using cable and springs to take some of the weight off?

I went out and measured the max depth of the foot well in my 67 but it has been bounced over a few curbs so really hard to get an exact depth. However it looks like it was 3/4" at the deepest one time!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster