Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Windrideror Avatar
Windrideror Carl Rosenburg
Redmond, Oregon, USA   USA
Bunch of new parts and some that will need to be rebuilt prior to going into the Midget. It has taken some time to put all the parts together, but getting close now. Last part of the puzzle requires sending out the flywheel for machine work. Got to get the motor and trans out to do that. Project for tomorrow. Will most likely be drawing on the vast amounts of knowledge from folks on the form while undertaking this installation. Lots of it is straight forward but there is a few things that I know I will need to be asking about when I get to that part of the install.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20180113_121243_722.jpg    34.6 KB
IMG_20180113_121243_722.jpg

IMG_20180113_121308_849.jpg    32.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
YEAAAAAAA, TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Looks like you have your work cut out for you!
If I could offer a suggestion here: notch and reinforce the frame support to the rear of the rack and pinion, it will help the installation and removal of the engine/tranny without compromising the strength.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Windrideror Avatar
Thanks Larry (Ice) That is the kind off information that I was hoping to receive by making this post. Couple of other thinks I still need to figure out is changing the clutch line from one side of the car to the other for the install. Hoping I can go to a local supply house that we use at work to make up high pressure lines. And they will be able to make something that will work for this. Other is going to be rebuilding the SU carbs that came in a box with the car when I got it. I have purchased a rebuild kit and the workshop manual. So I think I will be all right but it is nice to know that there is help here if needed.

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, Ca, USA   USA
It looks like you have Gerard's adapter kit (very good kit) but I recommend using Rivergate's clutch hose and slave cylinder- very clean and easy setup.
BillM

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Carl, I have a Rivergate conversion in my 71. My kit came with the Rivergate clutch so I'm not familiar with Gerard's clutch. The 5spd will make the car a much improved cruising car w/o detriment to its cornering ability.
I take it you never tried to start the car? If so, before starting to work on the fuel system you should drain all the old fuel out of the tank and lines. Try to keep working one system at a time and you will find things to together easier.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Windrideror Avatar
Bill, Thanks for the suggestion about the Rivergate hose and slave. I'm not sure if their slave will work/fit into the cradle that comes with Gerard's kit, as it is made for the stock slave.
Larry, Thanks again for your input. This is currently a complete and fully operational vehicle. Just going for some improvements while putting in the Datsun 5 speed. It currently has a 40 DCOE Weber on it and I have not been able to get it to the state of tune that I am happy with it. I got the SU carbs with the car along with a bunch of other stuff so I'm going to rebuild them and give them a go.

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, Ca, USA   USA
Carl
The Rivergate slave doesn't need the cradle adapter, it just fits to the trans and works!
BillM

Windrideror Avatar
Bill good to know. That would make moving the hydrolic line from one side of the car to the other much easier. If the flex line screws into the master on one end and to the slave on the other. Is that how it works?
Thanks Carl

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, Ca, USA   USA
Yep!
BillM

Windrideror Avatar
Bill, Thanks going to have to get me one of those. That will solve one of the aspects of this install that I was not sure how I was going to handle. That just leaves all the other variables to work out. Most of which are just turning wrenches. Have a great day. Got to go and get the motor and transmission out today.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Bill knows his Spridgets! winking smiley

One more thing I'd like to add is to fit that header down through the hole it is supposed to go through before you fit the engine. Not possible with the engine in place. Very good header however.

Kurt.

Windrideror Avatar
Kurt, Good to know. Took the advice of many posts here about the quality of the Maniflow header before my purchase of it and also had it ceramic coated per advise on the forum. After all is fitted back into car and operational again I will have to get some new exhaust pipes made up to fit. I think that the pipes on the car now are smaller in diameter. Also will need to adapt to the Harley muffler at the rear of the car. But not the difficult to do.

Windrideror Avatar
Few hours in the garage and I have the motor out and setting on the ground. Got the flywheel off and boxed up so that I can ship it off for the fitting of the Datsun clutch and pressure plate. Next will be to get the transmission drained and out of the car. Then I can start fitting all the new components onto the engine and reinstall all. From here on out I expect that progress will be somewhat slower. I will be fitting a new cam, cam followers, push rods and 1.5 rockers while engine is out. Then installing the new adapter plate and convert the car to a 5 speed.

Attachments:
IMG_20180114_160636_406.jpg    40.1 KB
IMG_20180114_160636_406.jpg

IMG_20180114_160652_572.jpg    41.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
In reply to # 3661260 by ice Looks like you have your work cut out for you!
If I could offer a suggestion here: notch and reinforce the frame support to the rear of the rack and pinion, it will help the installation and removal of the engine/tranny without compromising the strength.

This is a very good idea! Find the center of the frame support go 2 1/2 inches to each of the center and with a very thin (dermal tool) cutting disc cut a 3/4 to 1 inch notch out of the top rear of the support turn it over and weld it back in. you will be glad you did. Sorry no pics.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster