AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jlcoble77 Avatar
jlcoble77 Jeremy Coble
Poplar Bluff, MO, USA   USA
Where do I get new seals and can anybody identify this hardtop

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170610_145918_1515760694907.jpg    63.9 KB
20170610_145918_1515760694907.jpg

jlcoble77 Avatar
jlcoble77 Jeremy Coble
Can't find anything that identifies the round portholes

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180111-183134.jpg    25.9 KB
Screenshot_20180111-183134.jpg

20170610_150050_1515760681474.jpg    27.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
Somebody could have just cut the round port holes. Round port holes are common on boats. Depending on the size you can probably find some at any of the major marine parts outlets. You could try looking at West Marine, Defender, Jamestown, Iboats, and Go2marine. They will be pricey because they are boat parts.

I have seen a couple of websites that had examples of different spridget hardtops but I didn't bookmark the link. Do a search online and you will find them

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ClancySchmidt Platinum Member Clancy Schmidt
Lawrence, KS, USA   USA
Check www.austinharddware.com in Lee's Summit, MO.

They are not a retail hardware store, but a supply house for commercial truck equipment. They probably have 20+ kinds of window seals.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Jeremy, Chuck, those portholes look pretty much factory made. Good suggestion to look for gaskets at a boat supply company.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, NV, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
When I redid my hardtop, I used window moulding from DKhardware(they sell online). The one I used was #10262-it is a locking type glass moulding. With it, your glass template should be 1/4" less that the opening all the way around. You can also use AS893, but the glass has to be cut a little larger.

Attachments:
5.16 interior top painted.jpg    27.9 KB
5.16 interior top painted.jpg

jlcoble77 Avatar
jlcoble77 Jeremy Coble
I should have specified looking for the top seals across the front at the windshield and the back where it meets the trunck and around the doors

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
In regards to those portholes, YES, there was an aftermarket hardtop available for sure in the 1970's, that featured them.
I remember them well, as I was looking for a hardtop for my Alfa Duetto at the time, and saw this type advertised. I am leaning, 49%, that they were from Parrish.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
This is a Parrish harttop on a much modified Midget.

Attachments:
IMG_3381.JPG    57.1 KB
IMG_3381.JPG

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, NV, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I ended up buying closed cell foam weatherstripping for the top to windshield, and around the openings for the door glass to butt against. I used 3/8x3/4 rectangular foam. Worked out pretty well.

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
Dennis,
Thanks for the report on using 3/8x3/4 weather stripping for the top seal. My hardtop needs all new seals and the one that I have been puzzling over the most was what to use for the top seal. Seems like there are several options for all of the other seals.

jlcoble77 Avatar
jlcoble77 Jeremy Coble
Thants for all the info really appreciate it

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Jeremy, great find on that car by the way, I had my eye on it myself when it showed up I think on Craigslist. I wanted the hardtop and those wire wheels look(ed) like they had just been refinished or even chromed. Are you going to try and restore the whole car? I seem to recall the shell was pretty nice.

jlcoble77 Avatar
jlcoble77 Jeremy Coble
I am trading for the top the gentleman I am getting it from is building it

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster