AutoShrine Sponsor

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Steve-in-Florida Steve Hill
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Good Lil' Car"
1976 MG Midget 1500
1978 MG Midget 1500    & more
As I've mentioned, i drove my newly acquired 1974 Midget home to Orlando from its previous owner in Georgia. Happy day!!!

Perusing the Midget forum, I came across this thread from Kurt: Diff trade thread

That got me thinking about how much i would like to adjust the rear end of my new car for highway driving.

In my research on the subject, someone posted a link to a site that lists parts in stripping yards www.car-part.com.

Lo and behold, there was a late model Midget, merely an hour's drive away. A phone call to the yard confirmed that the rear end was still there. Yes, I would have to buy the entire unit, as they would not sell me just the differential. The price seemed reasonable at $325.00 for all. (brake drums, housing, axles and pumpkin) A short motorcycle ride later, and I confirmed the jewel with my own eyes!

It's so very sad to see any MG in a stripping yard, by the way...

The car was a 1978 Midget in Blue. No engine or hood, transmission in the trunk, and a pile of rusting parts in the cockpit. But it still had the rear end!!! I paid for it, and they pulled it the next day.

Yesterday morning, my neighbor and I collected it with his pickup truck.

Once I got it home, I eagerly removed the axles and the diff, in order to confirm the tooth count of the ring and pinion. Yep, it's definitely an 11-tooth pinion and a 41-tooth ring gear, and 41/11=3.72...

Now I'm waiting for a package from Moss, with a new gasket for the diff and gaskets and O-rings for the axles. I'm hoping to install it in the `74 Midget at the end of next week.

Lastly, I would like to offer a sincere "Thank You" to the person who posted the link to the stripping yard search engine. It sure helped me with this whimsical endeavor!

Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Great find!

Suggest you mark the axle shaft end bells in both axles L and R so you can be sure they go back in the same side they came out of.

Your 3.90 pumpkin will make a good spare, or it has good resale value ($200+) to owners of earlier Spridgets with the 4.22.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1976 MG Midget 1500
Thank you for the suggestion, Mike. I was already aware of the importance of keeping tabs on the "handedness" of the axles, and will mark them accordingly.

I would also like to report that I was quoted 207.53 EURO for the 3.55:1 Ring and Pinon Set, with an additional 53.35 EURO for shipping to Orlando, FL. Being that I am NOT in the EU, the VAT charge of 39.43 EURO does NOT apply. The set is in-stock, and ready to ship.

With today's current exchange rate being 1.21 Dollars to the EURO, the quoted price with shipping is $315.66. That's better than HALF of what Moss is charging.

Here is the site that sells the ring and pinion set: shop.bastuck2.de

Thank you for reading. I hope this is useful to others, as well.

Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Lucky find Steve. Wanted to mention that the gaskets you will get from the usual suspects won't be right and that you are better off making them yourself from a grocery bag. Not difficult and there is probably something in the archives telling how to do it. Use a small ball peen hammer to cut the bolt holes.

Kurt.

taskadog Avatar
taskadog Phil Burke
Tequesta, FL, USA   USA
Nice find Steve!
Looking forward to seeing your new car at Meade Gardens
Is your '74 chrome or rubber bumpered?

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1976 MG Midget 1500
Phil,
I have happily entered the realm of the chrome-bumpered Midget! It still has the Sabrina overriders, so I guess I'm just getting my toe in the water, eh?

I've posted a handful of pictures in the "My Vehicles" section. It's a really nice car; one that I simply could not pass up.

See you in April, if not sooner.

Steve

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Man that's cheap. I might buy another just to have. No gaskets or o-rings needed; 3M ultra black and you're done.

In reply to # 3660510 by Steve-in-Florida

With today's current exchange rate being 1.21 Dollars to the EURO, the quoted price with shipping is $315.66.

Steve

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
If you got the whole axle, maybe you ought to look at just swapping the whole axle. I imagine the salvage yard axle needs brake work though.

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links