Transmission help

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DPaul Daniel PAUL
Exeter, Devon, UK   GBR
Some help please - continued from previous identify this gearbox thread last month...

Car as received:
1960 modified frogeye sprite - modified in period - was a right old state - has gone through a nut and bolt rebuild apart from the gearbox which has now broken some teeth and also jumping out of reverse

Drive train as received and rebuilt
948 + 60" engine
948 crankshaft
948 flywheel - whole bottom end balanced
6.5" clutch
9 spring pressure plate - ? aftermarket
1275 throwout bearing
1098 clutch fork but appears bent and ? cut or snapped and welded back together (see photos)
3 1/2" slave cylinder pushrod
7/8" dual bore master cylinder
22g118 gearbox frontplate
ribbed 1098 gearbox with gearset that is identical to 1098 morris gears + bronze bushed and baulk rings (all marked HS14 rather than normal part numbers..)

I am concerned the clutch geometry is a mess and whilst have it apart want to sort it out
Could you help me fill in the ??? with what should be in the system:

948 + 60" engine
948 crankshaft
948 flywheel - whole bottom end balanced
6.5" clutch
???? what pressure plate ? standard 948
????throwout bearing
??? clutch fork
?? slave cylinder pushrod
7/8" dual bore mastercylinder
22g118 gearbox frontplate
1098 minor gearbox - have a spare that am rebuilding

I can't get my head around all the different changes and basically what is needed to mate a 948 engine to a 1098 box.

any help really appreciated.

(bizarrely have another 1098 goal seal spare box that has a 2a3087 i.e. 948 front plate on it with the correct mountings! incase this is what I should be using with this system)

Pictures attached: bent/modified 1098 clutch fork shown next to a standard 948 clutch fork and bearing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20180110_150223.jpg    40 KB
IMG_20180110_150223.jpg

IMG_20180110_145946.jpg    37.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20180110_145921.jpg    38.7 KB
IMG_20180110_150039.jpg    28.8 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Dan,

If your fork is bent, re-welded or modified in some way, you need to replace it with the correct 1098/1275 fork for a ribbed box. the fork pictured to the right is definitely, and severely bent. Whether this was caused my mismatched parts or is a result of it can't be determined, but since all the parts for the different gearboxes will fit, it's not uncommon for people to fit whatever they have around, thinking it will work; it doesn't.

The clutch needs to match the engine, i.e pressure plate, disc and release bearing should all be from a 948 kit.

The thick back plate is correct with a ribbed box. The front gearbox plate is correct.

Lastly, you should be using the correct pushrod for a ribbed 1098 gearbox.

If you have disc brakes, you should have or convert to a 3/4” bore master cylinder and correct pushrods, and a 7/8” slave cylinder. The 3/4" bore will also improve your clutch action.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster