Midget Steering wheel

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

padutchmidget Richard W
Landisville, PA, USA   USA
Jan, that wheel looks great! If I didn't know otherwise I would have thought it was a Moto Lita or Tourist Trophy. Thanks a million for you opinion, advice and photos! Once again MG Exp. members come through and deliver.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
padutchmidget Richard W
200MPH Thanks a million to you as well I think that deal will work out great!

ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Silver Member Archie McAllister
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
Looks exactly like the Moto LIta I installed over 20 years ago. Richard, it looks like you will also have to buy an adapter. The ebay description describes the "attachment ring" but not the adapter hub (?)

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3675.JPG    61.9 KB
IMG_3675.JPG

padutchmidget Richard W
I contacted the seller thru auction site and he said it comes with everything I need to instal.

maraud Avatar
maraud Gold Member Sean K
Longwood, FL, USA   USA
This is what the one I linked from eBay looks like. Ended up installing the wheel behind the hub and adding a polished aluminium ring which moves the 14" wheel closer to the dash giving a tad more room. That idea was courtesy of Bill at Museum Motor Sports here in Longwood, FL who has been helping me get everything fixed up much faster and better that I was doing on my own over the last two years with the limited time I get on the weekends (Joy's of little kids)!

Attachments:
IMG_2356.JPG    40.8 KB
IMG_2356.JPG

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Sean, could you post a side view showing how you mounted the wheel behind the hub to give you a little more room?

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3658948 by ingmarB I have this in my car.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/springalex-13-traditional-steering-wheel-with-leather-rim-s33sp-b-lb
not from this vendor, hope this gives you an alternative. Though with postage and exchange rates it is not that much cheaper.

Must say I like that one Ingmar.

Then again it's virtually the same as the one that's been on mine, since at least 1981 smileys with beer

All the best and good luck in your quest Richard

Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 12:53 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20171105_105617.jpg    74 KB
20171105_105617.jpg

20170924_133922.jpg    59.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jan Kruber Avatar
Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
Richard
As Archie suggest, If your present wheel is stock, uou need a boss (adaptor), apart from that everything else needed came with the Volante Wheel. If your car is a 1971 like mine you would probably need a boss with 36 splines, you'll have to look before ordering. I don't think Volante makes the boss, I had to buy a Moto Lita Boss, approx 100$. It was a perfect fit and Moto Lita offered first class service. Maybe there are other boss brands, I don't know

Mightymidget

Mel Avatar
Mel Mel butcher
Romeo MI, USA   USA
I made mine 12” dia. Much easier getting in and out now!

Attachments:
EF651771-E7B9-40C8-9BDE-A0FD9A8AC905.jpeg    42.5 KB
EF651771-E7B9-40C8-9BDE-A0FD9A8AC905.jpeg

padutchmidget Richard W
Jan I contacted the seller thru auction site and he replied back that it included everything needed to instal. I believe I asked him about the hub in my questions. Will have to wait and see, might have a new transmission first, bought another drive shaft out of Cali. mine had one loose joint cap. The wheel might have to wait a little while. Update the add says with/ polished hub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 11:28 AM by padutchmidget.

Jan Kruber Avatar
Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
In reply to # 3661004 by padutchmidget Jan I contacted the seller thru auction site and he replied back that it included everything needed to instal. I believe I asked him about the hub in my questions. Will have to wait and see, might have a new transmission first, bought another drive shaft out of Cali. mine had one loose joint cap. The wheel might have to wait a little while. Update the add says with/ polished hub.

Richard
Funny, I'm fitting a new transmission too, that's a Ford T9 5 speed though winking smiley
Well, anyway, due to a major overhaul in the front suspension / steering area, the Volante is currently not in the car, but I took a picture of it and my old stock Midget steering wheel so they can be compared. The Midget wheel is beautifull, but too slim and slippery in my big mitts. That's the opposit case with thicker leather wheel, and the smaller diameter gives me more space for better a riding position. Do you have a link to the wheel on the auction site?
Good luck with your transmission project thumbs up

Mightymidget

Attachments:
IMG_0610.JPG    50.6 KB
IMG_0610.JPG

padutchmidget Richard W
Jan, I posted a link in post #9 in this thread. I think my stock wheel is to thin and I can use a little room between the wheel and seat when climbing in and out. That Volante wheel just looks a little better to me as well!

maraud Avatar
maraud Gold Member Sean K
Longwood, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3660426 by 1974MGMidget Sean, could you post a side view showing how you mounted the wheel behind the hub to give you a little more room?

Here you go:

Attachments:
midget-hub.jpg    31.9 KB
midget-hub.jpg

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Wow, that is a huge difference. I bet it is much easier to get in and out of with that smaller wheel.

In reply to # 3661527 by Jan Kruber
In reply to # 3661004 by padutchmidget Jan I contacted the seller thru auction site and he replied back that it included everything needed to instal. I believe I asked him about the hub in my questions. Will have to wait and see, might have a new transmission first, bought another drive shaft out of Cali. mine had one loose joint cap. The wheel might have to wait a little while. Update the add says with/ polished hub.

Richard
Funny, I'm fitting a new transmission too, that's a Ford T9 5 speed though winking smiley
Well, anyway, due to a major overhaul in the front suspension / steering area, the Volante is currently not in the car, but I took a picture of it and my old stock Midget steering wheel so they can be compared. The Midget wheel is beautifull, but too slim and slippery in my big mitts. That's the opposit case with thicker leather wheel, and the smaller diameter gives me more space for better a riding position. Do you have a link to the wheel on the auction site?
Good luck with your transmission project thumbs up

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
My 64 came with a small steering whee,l when I bought the car back in 1980/81 and it just felt right to me. I've always loved the way it operates the car, recently I bought a Moggy Minor and its steering wheel, feels like you're driving a bus.

That said each to their own and I am sure many would favour the larger ones and have an equally good case for them.

All the best Johnny

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster