AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

"base line" settings on carbs
  This topic is about my 1961 MG Midget
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
61 948cc with HS2s ( I believe )
First start - since 1992... yeah long time.
I have searched service manuals and etc and cannot locate the "base-line" settings for idle speed and jet adjustments. Any input is appreciated.
I think Jets need to be flush and the idle is a couple of turns in... >>> CLICK for google images link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KUFhTsrS9lSvqpKG2

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 05:10 PM by Skeezix.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
I set the jets .060" down from the bridge and adjust from there. I set idle to about 1,000 rpm.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3658048 by refisk I set the jets .060" down from the bridge and adjust from there. I set idle to about 1,000 rpm.

X2

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Most books say jets two full turns down from the bridge (aka "12 flats?), disconnect throttle cable from linkage. I turn my throttle screws out until they no longer touch the linkage, then a couple turns in. I've found the car will at least start like this, no choke to enrich the mix. Anywhere around 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm makes me happy. It may even race up to 2500 which is the equivalent of an "Italian tune up" on an old engine with carbon built up everywhere. Make sure to wait for the engine to reach operating temperature before you fine tune anything.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, Colorado, USA   USA
I just took a guess with mine because I couldn't find that info in the forums either. It doesn't run great but at least it idles and accelerates.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Very common to find this info in the Haynes, Bentley, factory authorized shop manual, and hundreds of other publications online and in hardcopy. My favorite is Autobooks guide annotated by Kenneth Ball, which is small enough to fit in my Carhardt jacket pocket or glovebox. Heck even the1974 owner's manual came with a section on baseline SU tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 08:58 AM by littlecars.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
Rob
Does the car start & run or are you setting the carbs carbs for the first try?

+

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
First start ever
Car was acquired 26 years ago today

Attachments:
689509FB-B508-430D-BD4F-04E7B229219B.jpeg    35.9 KB
689509FB-B508-430D-BD4F-04E7B229219B.jpeg

dte948 Avatar
dte948 DAVE ENSIGN
CLAVERACK, NY, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget Conversion "MIDGET Aka Woodie"
GAN1L/294 My hat is off to you. hot smiley

Midgets arn't hard to fix, there just easy to break!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
I'm confused - how can the Issue Date be after the Registration Expiration Date?

In reply to # 3658685 by Skeezix First start ever
Car was acquired 26 years ago today

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
I believe that I picked it up late Dec or Jan of 1991 actually so I guess that the expiry date is 12 months later. Meaning its 27th season of fidgiting with the Midget.

Oddly, the CA DMV came today in the mail and if I want to go from Non Op to road I have to pay $120, prove insurance ( Grundy application just completed ) and mail the lot in.

No on line for us old poops,,,

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Rob, here is a little secret I did before waking my 1965 Midget from its 30 year slumber. Dry out the fuel bowls, using a turkey baster or eye dropper if you have to. That is, if there is fuel in there at all. See how much sediment is down low in the little rectangular receiving well. Use a dental tool to pick out anything that looks like varnish or actual dirt. Clean the works with compressed air, then add a small amount of gas treatment (or octane boost) to the bottom of the bowl, along with fresh gas. This should clear out any deposits once the car starts chugging away. I was surprised how quickly my engine settled into an idle after taking these steps.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster