Wiper motor - I thought I'd pass this along

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnfromSeattle John Mandella
Snohomish, USA   USA
This past holiday season, I needed advice from the forum and many were nice to help me. I learned something quick and simple and thought I'd pass it along.

I needed to remove the wiper motor to prepare for cleaning up my engine compartment (never-ending paint project), that task led me to watch videos, read posts etc. I came across a Moss Motors video that touched upon replacing the carbon brushes in the old-style wiper motors. On a whim, I opened up my wiper motor and discovered by brushes were nearing the end. I bought new ones and installed then today. The picture below shows the comparison between old and new brushes.

Many thanks to all those share their knowledge. I hope I helped someone.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC00471.JPG    32.2 KB
DSC00471.JPG

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
Older DC motors are definitely rebuildable if you catch them in time.
A new set of brushes & an armature polish can have them performing like new again.
Good Job! thumbs up

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
My wipers move slower than a snail, but at least they move.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnfromSeattle John Mandella
Snohomish, USA   USA
I'm not an expert on wipers, but after reading several other posts, slow-moving wipers might be attributed to old, caked grease in the gearbox. Open the top part of the gearbox and take a look

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Just another wiper tidbit. If you want more sweep in the arc of your wipers, change the big gear in the wiper motor. They are marked in degrees on the gear itself. The largest I've seen is 150 degrees. I got mine from a Minor.

maraud Avatar
maraud Gold Member Sean K
Longwood, FL, USA   USA
I had a problem with mine going slow and dimming the headlights when in motion. I thought the motor was shot. Took it apart and all was well. Turned out the wiper switch was bad.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
The factory wipers when adjusted properly work great during a rainstorm. However, none of my Midgets have been in one since they were new cars! The few times I've gotten caught in unexpected drizzle, the wipers didn't have enough moisture to "wipe" and I turned them on/off intermittently. Now, that would be an upgrade to look into if I was driving my car in all types of weather. thumbs up Perhaps someone has done a retrofit using an intermittent switch control from a modern car?

maraud Avatar
maraud Gold Member Sean K
Longwood, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3659023 by littlecars The factory wipers when adjusted properly work great during a rainstorm. However, none of my Midgets have been in one since they were new cars! The few times I've gotten caught in unexpected drizzle, the wipers didn't have enough moisture to "wipe" and I turned them on/off intermittently. Now, that would be an upgrade to look into if I was driving my car in all types of weather. thumbs up Perhaps someone has done a retrofit using an intermittent switch control from a modern car?

Dunno if this is possible but my 78 has intermittent wipers (old fashion wipe-wait-wipe). Perhaps you can swap the switch?

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Try Rain-X. Makes it easier to get bugs off, too.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I tried a jcwhitney type a found it not worth the trouble. Plus, the last thing these cars need is complexity, especially with wiring. RainX!

infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
My midget's so small that I can just stick my arm out the window and swipe the whole windshield when it rains.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
In reply to # 3659054 by 1974MGMidget Try Rain-X. Makes it easier to get bugs off, too.

x2
I've used it for years good stuff...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Another tip on slow wipers, if you had the car apart make sure the wheel boxes are straight inline so the cable doesn't bind.

sam-i-am Avatar
sam-i-am Sam L
Caledonia, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Hi All,

Another thing to keep in mind is that the slots between the bars on the commutator need to be cleaned out. If not, the motor will get hot, draw more amps and run slower.

Sam.

autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
Yeah very serviceable motors. Take it all the way apart and clean the shaft and bushings, the gunk out from between the armature contacts like mentioned. The felt pad in the end should be saturated with oil or you can get away with a little bit of grease. Clean the tubes that the rack linkages runs through and clean the gear boxes...its like once you crack it open, may as well do it all haha

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 MG MGC

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links