AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheRocker Avatar
TheRocker Jonathan Abbinante
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Rockers"
1973 MG Midget "Rocker"
All new rubber caster bushings , new lowered springs, and shocks , new lowered leafs, alignment done, car doesn't pull to one side or other when breaking stops even.. But when driving if i turn the wheel a little to the left or right she likes to dart .Front wheel posture looks good. Bad tie end rods? thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 06:54 AM by TheRocker.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20160827_153812.jpg    44.2 KB
20160827_153812.jpg

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Possible could also be something else loose. I would suggest getting it in and check it over closely.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Check the toe-in again. Should be 0" to -1/8" I believe. Positive toe will make the car darty.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
midgeandmadge Bruce Kosbab
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "The Wreck"
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Madge"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Midge"
I had a similar situation when I bought my 73 Midget. It took a while the find the cause, but it turned out to be one of the shock absorbers. There was play in the shock absorber pivot (fore and aft). The shock absorber arm is also the upper control arm so when the pivot moved, it steered the car on that side. New shocks in the front suspension cured the issue.

Bruce

capnkx Avatar
capnkx nathan c
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Does the car dart when you let off the gas? If so look at your rear spring pads.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Nathan may have hit on something to check. Also, what are you running for tire pressure? 22psi is usually a good place to start experimenting.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Sounds like when the mini baja team swapped the spindles around on the wrong sides of the car. I told them but they wouldn't listen. First time the car went out and tried to turn it flipped. We got a great pic of the car at a 45 degree angle with Shawn's arm shoved straight out just moments before it was broken. smiling smiley

You sure you have everything back the way it's supposed to be?

If so, check your rack mounting next.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 09:13 PM by GeorgeOhr.

TheRocker Avatar
1973 MG Midget "Rocker"
Will check into that.

TheRocker Avatar
1973 MG Midget "Rocker"
The car had this same problem prior to me changing out the back leafs , pads and front springs and shocks. My only guess was maybe the steering rack
is old and worn or the tie rods. The car just jumps to fast to the right or left when you turn the wheel a little bit.

TheRocker Avatar
1973 MG Midget "Rocker"
Bruce the car has the same steering issues even after i made an alteration.

I removed the pin out of the inside of the shock absorbers to make it free of tension and added a shock kit to both sides, real shocks.

But i keep the entire old shock unit in-place. If i turn the car to the right or left is over turns or likes to dart into the direction i turn into.

Bruce you think i should still see if there is play with the original shock system although im running an after market shock kit? thank you.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Rocker, sounds like you are trying hard to avoid fixing the car the way it was meant to be repaired. The regular parts, in the regular positions without special aftermarket whistles and bells usually make the best ride for our cars. Adding tube shocks for most of us is not a proper means of reconciling any suspension problems. Yep, I know some of the guys will rave about all kinds of suspension up grades but in the end dthe OEM parts do a pretty good job. For me tube shocks and 4 wheel disc brakes for a road car are right up there with trying to drive a full blown race engine on the street....fun at first but it soon gets tiresome.
If you want to fix your suspension by all means rebuild the entire frt end, not just parts of it. You want better shocks....... get the OEM shocks rebuilt with different valving, play around with the tire pressure, replace the rack and pinion if need be. If you start down the path of throwing parts at something not properly checked out, IMHO you will be just throwing money away.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

TheRocker Avatar
1973 MG Midget "Rocker"
Iceman "READ" Before you comment and boost your self-esteem off the world take a few seconds to READ... I had the same problem prior to my exotic suspension changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 03:05 PM by TheRocker.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
My Midget was very "darty" also so I adjusted each side at the tie rod ends a half turn to make toe in just a smidge. It drives great now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 08:46 PM by JOEVACS.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
I think what iceman said was, it you had crap in the beginning, adding more crap of a different color does not make the smell go away. Just a thought

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Let me add one more thing. Have someone WATCH the steering rack itself to see it it moves side to side. A 1973 should have the Triumph rack, and on Spitfire and TR-6 it is real common for the rack clamps to allow the rack to move sideways. Just a thought ???rr

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster