'79 with still NO SPARK

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnfromSeattle John Mandella
Snohomish, USA   USA
Is there an update to this issue? I am very interested in knowing what the root cause was.

Have you checked the dwell? Maybe the points are not closing (no build up of electrical field, hence no spark). You'll need a dwell meter to be 100% sure

As Jeff mentioned, if you own a car as old as ours are, you need a test lamp and volt/ohm meter. Listen to Jeff

Harbor Freight gives voltage meters away every now and then with their coupons. They sell test lamps too...I've used mine many times, mostly to debug a tail light or headlight issue. Another nice thing to own is a "spark indicator", These little devices, connect inline with your plug wires and all you to see the existence of spark with out disconnecting and grounding the wires. Very handy and keeps your hands free.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3658045 by JohnfromSeattle

Harbor Freight gives voltage meters away every now and then with their coupons. They sell test lamps too.

Don't know if they have HF in the UK.

Snohomish, USA   USA
There is a retail chain similar to Harbor Freight (inexpensive tools) in the UK. I can't recall the name off hand.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG J-Type Midget "The Shed"
Hello

I have found that people who change the points make the mistake of grounding the points wire when it should be on the insulator. This sounds like a classic case.....

Check that the contacts wire is not to ground, look up the correct way to assemble....

You will be running in no time.

Kind regards

Richard in sunny Spain (Costa Blanca) while the rest of Spain is up to its cajones in snow.

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Barnard Castle, durham, UK   GBR
Hi all sorry for the late reply i havnt been able to work on it till lastnight. But found the problem!! Turns out that the wire from the coil to the dissy cap wasnt soldered! So loose wire was touching the body off distributor and no spark. So most of you called it! Thanks alot for all your help much appreciated everyone! Great communitysmiling smiley

Knew it would be something stupid

Snohomish, USA   USA
Thank you for this update. I'm sure it will help more people than you can imagine

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster