'79 with still NO SPARK

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Barnard Castle, durham, UK   GBR
Hi everyone reposting this. Last week i was driving my '79 midget and it started running terribly with back fire and everything. So i just managed to get it home and got a new dissy cap with rotor, plug wires and condenser. So after that it had no spark at all. So i assumed the distributor was knackered and i got a new one with new leads and a new performance coil but still nothing. So i then today got a new starter solenoid and AGAIN still nothing. The coil and distrbutor both have continuity and all looks good but there just isnt any power getting to the coil. I am curious of a blue cylinder attached to the side of my coil but im not sure what it is and have attached a photo along with all the new parts.
Any comments will help

Cheers Gus.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180105_170049.jpg    63.4 KB
20180105_170049.jpg

20180105_170014.jpg    54 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180105_170030.jpg    49.5 KB
20180105_170038.jpg    52 KB
djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, Nevada, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I think the blue thing is a suppressor for the radio(so you don't hear a click everytime a spark fires. Have you checked for voltage at the + side of the coil when the ignition is on? Instead of replacing things, eliminate one thing at a time.
1. is there power to the coil when the ignition is on
2. check ohms at the coil, both primary and secondary circuits.(new coil, so should be ok)
3. are the points opening
4.is there a spark at the heavy wire going from the coil to the distributor
You can easily run a jumper from the battery to the plus side of the coil and then crank it to see if you have a spark(but don't let it run that way as you may have a resistor before the coil that reduces the running voltage to the coil).

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, Nevada, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I just read your previous post. The wire from the solenoid to the coil is only live when you are cranking the engine.(it then supplies straight 12v to the coil. With the ignition on, you should have power to the + side of the coil,even when not cranking. It should be about 8 volts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Right so there will is no spark coming from the coil HT lead and the breakers are opening but with not spark there either. The coil also has no voltage with ignition on... when i test the voltage of the solenoid it has 12v.

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
QUICK UPDATE. Wire from solenoid to coil is showing 12v when ignition is on but only sometimes. Going to change the female plug and see if there is a change

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Right so now after changing wire clips there is 12 in the coil with ignition on and distributor is also showing 12v but again no spark!!!

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Check continuity of wire from - side of coil to the distributor and make sure your new points have been cleaned. There may be corrosion preventative oil or whatnot on the contacts.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Watch this video part 1&2 and let us know the result

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
This one too:

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Hi mojan
Problem is i dont have a test lamp is there something else i can use? Or should i buy one

Thanks

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
headlight bulb and two lengths of wire and you have a test light

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3657193 by GusRowell117 Hi mojan
Problem is i dont have a test lamp is there something else i can use? Or should i buy one

Thanks

Any 12v light bulb will do the job smiling smiley or voltmeter.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Buy a test light and a volt/Ohm meter. You need both if you own a British car!!!

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3657276 by B-racer Buy a test light and a volt/Ohm meter. You need both if you own a British car!!!

That and 5 gallons of gas and a book of matches !grinning smiley

mg man 75 Avatar
mg man 75 maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   USA
Say you changed points. I know on the my 74 Points type Midget. I changed points and would not start. There is a way with the insulated plastic washer on installing it so the wire from the coil goes to ground and not thru the points. Might want to check that.
Take a continuity test and see if the points break continuity. It should. Also get a simple test light, Meter is better. Disconnect the wire at the distributor. Hook the test light to the body side wire and ground, Key on, do you have light or voltage. If not check the + side of coil. If not there could be ignition switch I would have to look at my wiring diagram and be sure.

Maurice

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster