Mg Midget 1979 NO SPARK

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hidalco Co Duindam
Pukekohe, franklin, New Zealand   NZL
Take a wire from plus side batt to plus side coil. Do the same trick hold HT lead near ground open breaker points manually surely you should get a spark! If you have a spark it is the white wire giving you problems.
Your 12v wire ( white) runs via panel lights to start switch. . This white wire originates from fuse unit connection 3. Ask me more questions if there is something you dont understand. Co

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG J-Type Midget "The Shed"
Hi

Sometimes it is difficult to detect a small spark due to low coil voltage. If you have changed the coil then make sure that you have connected the resistor connectors so that the resistor is no longer in line. Connect the two resistor lines together...

Measure the voltage at the coil - it should be the same as the battery voltage. If it is less, then take a lead from the battery or ignition switch to the coil. Your car will start - believe me!

kind regards

Richard in sunny Spain - 15 degrees centigrade and sunny....

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG J-Type Midget "The Shed"
Hi Gus

I sent a suggestion but can't find it in the listing so I will repeat.

If you have changed the points or capacitor you may have connected them together at the terminal post inside the distributor so that they ground to the dizzie body. That will definitely stop it working........

They wires must be joined together but isolated using the plastic separator.

Hope this helps.

Richard in sunny Spain

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Barnard Castle, durham, UK   GBR
Hi all sorry for the late reply i havnt been able to work on it till lastnight. But found the problem!! Turns out that the wire from the coil to the dissy cap wasnt soldered! So loose wire was touching the body off distributor and no spark. So most of you called it! Thanks alot for all your help much appreciated everyone! Great communitysmiling smiley

Knew it would be something stupid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 02:23 AM by GusRowell117.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster