Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Exactly the same with me Jeff. You have to be polite about it and let the seller respectfully know what the car is worth to you, despite what the asking price is. Another way to look at it - the worst thing the seller can do is say no.

In reply to # 3657877 by Homerr Joe, I think non-runners are a different game.

My experience:

1975 offered at $1900, got it for $450 delivered.
1970 offered at $500, got it for $300 delivered.
1966 offered at $500, I declined, seller called back a couple of days later asking to offer anything. Got it for $100.
1971 was a parts car offered at $100 and I paid that.

I look at the car and I end up telling the seller what the car is worth to me, not necessarily any number related to their advertised price. I don't think I've been outlandish at all with my offers. On the contrary, the sellers have had high prices for cars that are going downhill more every year, taking up space - physical and mental - for them. They have been relieved when I bought their 'problem'. The most I've gone up on my initial offer was $50 each on the 1975 and 1970 and I agreed to $50 more if they delivered them.

This also creates an easy walk-away situation too, whereby I've stated what the car is worth to me and the seller is free to counter. I avoid any 'you price is too high', 'there is another car advertised for $xxx I could go buy instead', or 'good luck finding a seller at that price' type of statements since they introduce ego. It's very possible to have a friendly transaction where both parties get what they want, or a parting without a sale where both walk away neutral or friendly. But not if it becomes an ego battle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
I am wondering if the current owner is serious about selling the car. Since his grandfather left it to him there maybe some sentimental value to it. While that does not make it worth any more to us it may to him. He might be pricing it high for a few reasons. One to ensure that whoever pays will almost have to fix it to make anything on it and two to keep junkers away from it. If this is the case you probably won't convince him it's worth any less. Put some serious thought into it before you make an offer. Better to let it go and keep a good neighbor than make am offer that insults him.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "For Sale?"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1975 MG Midget MkIV "General MG"
In reply to # 3657881 by refisk Exactly the same with me Jeff. You have to be polite about it and let the seller respectfully know what the car is worth to you, despite what the asking price is. Another way to look at it - the worst thing the seller can do is say no.

The other way to look at this is - one must give the seller an opportunity to say 'yes'.

I'd use the neighbor and grandfather connections to advantage. The neighbor can still see the car being next door and know his grandfather's car is in good hands - without having to be the caretaker of it.

(Note: the neighbor may be burdened as the caretaker instead of feeling as if he is being a good caregiver to the car.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
alconk AL Conkling
Hudson, IL, USA   USA
Well I had a chance to really look over the Midget last night and I must say it was a let down. This car needs a ton of work! Nothing works on it probably because the wiring has been hacked up. It has been repainted which I knew but on the driver's rocker panel the paint is blistered and cracked to the point it looks like bondo underneath. One of the leaf springs is broke and the front suspension (king pins) has a lot of play. He told me a guy looked at it last week but walked away so that must be a telltale sign. Has a cracked exhaust manifold and says he can't keep it running because of that. I think it's due to another problem. I don't even know if I'd give him $500 let along the 2K he's asking for it. Oh well.

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
At least the seller may be getting some real-world feedback in the form of potential buyers walking away. Might end up to be a $250 car.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Run away now. No need to expend any further energy on this dog. A very common car, bound to be another $500-$2000 Midget pop up in your area now that your interest has been activated! A cracked exhaust manifold and broken springs sounds to me like someone was hot dogging around in it and hopped a curb or parking lot bollard. Same with the seller's claim of the flared clutch slave pipe--slave is down low on the car, so that got whacked too when this thing went astray. Maybe circle back around in a year or so when you need parts and he needs it gone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 01:19 PM by littlecars.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Walk away Al , that car is not a good start for a novice with all those faults.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3657881 by refisk Exactly the same with me Jeff. You have to be polite about it and let the seller respectfully know what the car is worth to you, despite what the asking price is. Another way to look at it - the worst thing the seller can do is say no.

In reply to # 3657877 by Homerr Joe, I think non-runners are a different game.

I look at the car and I end up telling the seller what the car is worth to me, not necessarily any number related to their advertised price. I don't think I've been outlandish at all with my offers. On the contrary, the sellers have had high prices for cars that are going downhill more every year, taking up space - physical and mental - for them. They have been relieved when I bought their 'problem'.

This also creates an easy walk-away situation too, whereby I've stated what the car is worth to me and the seller is free to counter. I avoid any 'you price is too high', 'there is another car advertised for $xxx I could go buy instead', or 'good luck finding a seller at that price' type of statements since they introduce ego. It's very possible to have a friendly transaction where both parties get what they want, or a parting without a sale where both walk away neutral or friendly. But not if it becomes an ego battle.

I have to tell a story about "sentimental" value verses real world value. Years ago a post appeared on Craigslist. Someone asking if anybody would be willing to evaluate a car belonging to a man with Alzheimer's. They wanted someone sensitive to the situation -- he was likely to chase prospective buyers away because this was his baby. Since I was working in senior care at the time I gave them a call. The vehicle was a novice restored 1968 Midget with all the goodies. Supercharger 1275, Rivergate conversion, hardtop, knock off chromed wire wheels, new leather seats but cheap carpet everywhere else and not running. The father was sitting near us as I went around, him discussing its finer points but sometimes getting his facts mixed up. The man repeated a supposition that "these things sell for $10,000 or more." I shook his hand and went with the daughter to a nearby picnic area to give my appraisal. With the rust present from fiberglass repair, and a high gloss paint job with streaks in it, doors that hung up when you opened them...the "appraisal" given was $1500. Within a week I received a text from her asking when I could pick the car up and that she was going to tell her dad that he got what he was asking for the car. So, we have emotional sellers, we have sentimental attachment to project cars not yet completed, and we have real world value. These things happen, IMHO these days I wish more people would allow a vintage machine to end up in the right hands and not be carted off to the scrap heap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 01:59 PM by littlecars.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Like has been said several times in this thread, walk way!
There comes a time when one should looks at the car as it really is, no holds barred. When looking at a car in this condition you should prob estimate spending $5-6K on a that will never be worth more that $2000. This is would be a fixed up driver at best. True value of this car is difficult to convey to the present owner as he prob looked around on the internet and discovered cars of the same make and year worth $10-12K, little realizing the money and effort that had been expended on these restored cars. Since the car is in that bad a shape you might gently show the owner what you are talking about and walk away. Even at $100 you would still have to spend a fair amt of bucks to get it running. Keep looking for a car you feel comfortable with on your skill level, one will pop up.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Larry, as you and others may have guesses - I'm in it for the cheap thrills. If Al isn't he should walk away.

And by 'cheap thrills' I mean spending a few hundred dollars on a car, then another $5k getting it running, painted, etc. and then having a $2,500 car. The money I'll be in the hole over a couple of years working on one will be cheap by modern car restoration standards.

For example, the other car I'd love to buy and restore is a 1970 Charger R/T. A complete car needing full restoration is $30-$40,000 currently (this one is even being flipped for more money!). To have it done that one probably needs $20,000 in sheet metal work, $20,000 drivetrain rebuild, $20,000 paint, and another $10,000 in interior and misc to have a $70,000 car at the end.

So, yes, Midgets are cheap thrills!

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Jeff, I agree with you about the "cheap" thrills. However, many of the potential LBC buyers think they can buy a $500 car, invest a couple of $100's in it and have a good car. I'm not saying one can't have a decent cheap LBC but if the motive is to make money....lotsa luck!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I paid $1500 for mine and put 10K on it before I had to do anything to it and it is a rust free never wrecked California car.

Don't walk, RUN away!

The good news is, the more dogs you see, the easier it is to spot the good ones.

EDIT: How far is this one from you?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1978-mg-midget-california-car/6428422123.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 06:16 AM by GeorgeOhr.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
George...you found a good one there in Chicago! Great price for a turnkey car. $3500 or best offer! https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1978-mg-midget-california-car/6428422123.html

AL...you could run over and buy this white Midget and sell the hardtop for an immediate $300-$400 to invest in any repairs needed. You should seriously consider this car if you have caught the Midget bug and want to drive this summer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 08:08 AM by littlecars.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3660373 by littlecars George...you found a good one there in Chicago! Great price for a turnkey car. $3500 or best offer! https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1978-mg-midget-california-car/6428422123.html

AL...you could run over and buy this white Midget and sell the hardtop for an immediate $300-$400 to invest in any repairs needed. You should seriously consider this car if you have caught the Midget bug and want to drive this summer!

Yeah, as cold as it is I bet ol' boy will be willing to deal.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster