Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Steve-in-Florida Steve Hill
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Good Lil' Car"
1976 MG Midget 1500
1978 MG Midget 1500    & more
Kurt,
I've had my RB Midget since the `80's, so it's what I know, and have amassed parts for.

Recently, I came across a nice rust-free, unmolested (stock), 1974 Midget with the 1275 engine. I have not taken delivery yet, but I;m excited by the prospect.

Yes, I am aware of the Spitfire overdrive upgrade, and have seen one in-person. Never had the opportunity to actually drive one, however.

Like many of us, I'm forever tinkering, and desire the best combination of parts, for the best Midget I can afford.

We must have goals and dreams to keep us alive!!!

Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Steve you'll love the 3.55 behind the 1500. No experience with it and a 1275 but I pass people on the interstate with my 1500/3.55 and 4 speed.

kmcgr6 Avatar
kmcgr6 Kevin McGowan
Williamsport, PA, USA   USA
Happy New Year.

How much do you want for the 3,55. I have a 79 1500 that would like it.

Thanks,
Kevin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Kurt, I have two friends with project cars having 3:9 gears, one in a rebuilt steel wheel axle 1974, the other in a salvageable wire wheel 1972 axle housing. I will ask these friends if the 3:55 is worth putting in their cars as they are going to be hot rods not daily drivers.

jlpor John Parker
Portland, OR, USA   USA
PM Kurt

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Steve,
I've never tried a 3.55 diff, I have a 3.7 in my 78 RB 1500. As Kurt said, I made the conversion to the Spit OD transmission twice and would do it again and again. I think the 3.7:1 diff with the OD is a perfect combination. I can enjoy plenty of power and get up and go around town and still enjoy highway speeds of 70 and 75 without getting RPMs over 4K.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Steve-in-Florida Steve Hill
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Good Lil' Car"
1976 MG Midget 1500
1978 MG Midget 1500    & more
This thread has got me thinking (and dreaming), so I've been doing some research.

First and foremost, i wish to try the 3.55 combination firsthand. I think it might be well suited for the long, straight, Florida highways. I often use these to get to other curvy roads.

In the meantime, I found a 3.7 rear end, just down the road, and will swap it out for the 3.9, currently in my newly acquired `74 Midget. That will get me by...

Moss has the 3.55 ring and pinion gears for ~$600.00. I found a source in Germany for half that, but I have to factor in shipping. Then there's the task of getting the combination set-up properly in a donor carrier.

Overdrive and 5-speed transmission options are interesting, also.

I will come up with a budget and a plan. Joy!!!

Here are some useful links i found in my research on the subject:

Changing Rear Axle Ratios

Rear gear ratio's

Differential Ratios

3.7 versus 3.9

Warning: Frontline 5-speed conversion

Gerard's Garage or Rivergate?

Rebuilt Differential Options

MGOC 3.7 Diff

Search Results: 1979 MG Midget Rear Axle Assy

Interesting reading. (Just how fast do I want to go, anyway???) I hope this info is useful to others, as well.

Steve

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3659397 by Steve-in-Florida This thread has got me thinking (and dreaming), so I've been doing some research.

First and foremost, i wish to try the 3.55 combination firsthand. I think it might be well suited for the long, straight, Florida highways. I often use these to get to other curvy roads.

PM sent.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster