Diff trade??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Would anyone be interested in trading a solid 3.9 for a 3.5. I've never fitted the 3.5 which I think might be a bit tall for a square car but a light bug eye I would think would work nicely. I'd want a little cash besides....say $150 plus all shipping.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, CA, USA   USA
Kurt
Kim (in North Carolina) did that a few years ago but he hasn't been on the forums for a while
BillM

-edit-
-do you have a 3.9 and want a 3.5 or the other way?
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 07:03 PM by Billm.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Hi Bill

I guess I didn't state that quite right. I have a 3.5 that I'm probably never going to use and am short of good 3.9's. Going to fit a 210 trans to the car I intended it for instead so would like a 3.9 for that car.

I think Kim fitted a Datsun trans as well but I'm thinking that would be too tall of gearing. As mentioned I think the 3.5 would be fine behind a 4 speed in a light car like a BE. Now that I think about it the gears themselves are pretty pricey so maybe I would need a bit more for 3.5.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Morning Kurt I'm struggling with your post.. you have a 3.5 you don't want, you want someone to give you a 3.9 +$150 + pay for the privilege of posting it to you in exchange for the 3.5 you don't want, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but if I had a 3.9 you would purchase it on my terms not yours , I wouldn't pay you $150 give you a part you want and pay to post it to you confused smiley

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I don't understand the numbers here either. New gearsets for a 3.9 and 3.55 cost nearly the same. The cost of used gearsets may be the cause of the disparity. I've bought used 3.9's for $75 on the BST forum on this website. Maybe used 3.55's are harder to find?

In reply to # 3653922 by bev sleet Morning Kurt I'm struggling with your post.. you have a 3.5 you don't want, you want someone to give you a 3.9 +$150 + pay for the privilege of posting it to you in exchange for the 3.5 you don't want, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but if I had a 3.9 you would purchase it on my terms not yours , I wouldn't pay you $150 give you a part you want and pay to post it to you confused smiley

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
OK. Just saying I have a 3.5 that I don't need. These used to sell for pretty good money while 3.9's are common. Sooo, anybody need a 3.55? If you do I could use a 3.9 and maybe we could work something out. Otherwise, If I ask around I imagine I'll find a good 3.9. None on E-bay at time and really too cold for shop work anyway.

I'm blaming being unintelligible on brain freeze....bit chilly here in the midwest!

Happy New Year!
Kurt.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Happy new year Kurt from the UK.
Bev

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I understand your thinking. Truthfully, you would be better off to sell the 3.55 outright. Then pick up a 3.9 from a parts car.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3653972 by trevorwj I understand your thinking. Truthfully, you would be better off to sell the 3.55 outright. Then pick up a 3.9 from a parts car.

Guess you are right, Trevor. Too darn cold here to think about car work right now anyway.

Kurt

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
We are at a balmy 12 degrees Fahrenheit here. So, I'm going out to remove the Christmas decorations. smiling smiley Then I may take the Sprite out for a drive.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
I have a 3.9 out of a 73 that had no engine so I don't know the condition. I have the whole rear assembly but never opened it up. It turns ok and has gear lube in it. You're right it's cold. Was at least -20 her this AM. I am only about an hour north of you.

autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
Ive had a 4.1 and a 3.73 and I think with a 5 speed anyway the 3.73 is where it's at...kinda off topic I know but the 3.73 came in the 1500 cars so pretty easy to get I would think

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Ken, I know where your at and, when it warms up, I may be in touch!smiling smiley -22 here right now! Trevor, we're sending it your way!grinning smiley

Mark, I have a 3.73 and really prefer the 3.9 which I have in two other cars with Datsun trans. I may fit it though. Also have 6 4.22's I believe they are as well as the 3.55 and a 4.55. Just short of 3.9's. I have one that needs bearings and being set up again that I may ultimately have a go at. I've always been leary of diff work since the first one I ever did ended up noisy and though it didn't fail it may have if I had run it farther.

Kurt.

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Steve-in-Florida Steve Hill
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Good Lil' Car"
1976 MG Midget 1500
1978 MG Midget 1500    & more
Kurt,
I am interested in this topic, from a practical standpoint.

I live in Florida, with many, many flat, straight roads and highways. My 1500 Midget has a 3.7:1 late-model differential, and can (generally) keep up (in the slow lane) on the highway, with out being too much of a road hazard. Additionally, it is fairly nimble around town, from stop light to stop light.

On my motorcycle, I recently changed the two sprockets for better highway performance, and it made a world of difference. I don't know why I waited so long to do so.

I have never personally encountered a 3.55:1 diff, so I have many questions.

First, is this a new item? Was it set up from scratch with a purchased ring and pinion, or procured as a complete "factory" assembly?

Second, is it PRACTICAL to install this as a final gear ratio? I know from my own experience, that the 3.7:1 works well for me in my 1500 Midget, and I am happy. Would the same hold true if I installed the 3.55:1?

Third, would the 3.55:1 work equally well behind a 1275 engine and a 1500 engine? In my case, both have stock 4-speed transmissions.

I suppose this leads to the question of just what is the ultimate and optimum engine, transmission and differential set-up for a Florida street car? What's the best bang for the buck without going "too far" with the gearing?

In the future, if I decide to install a 5-speed or an overdrive transmission, would I hate the 3.55, and pine for a 3.7 or 3.9?

Does anyone have practical experience that they would be willing to share?

Finally, Kurt, please post a link to your e-bay auction, if and when you decide to list it there.

Thank you,

Steve

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Steve, I've never owned a RB car or even been around one so I can't answer most of your questions. The 3.55 was an after market ratio and the one I have seems to be set up properly. Don't know the history other than it came from a stalled project.

Another option for you as the owner of a 1500 powered car is an overdrive transmission out of a Spitfire. I do know of a couple of conversions that the owners seem quite happy with. There is no 5 speed that I know of that will bolt up to the 1500.

I'll keep you in mind when I post the diff, Steve.

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster