AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bleeding new brake system+-
  This topic is about my 1972 MG Midget MkIII
Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, Alabama, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
I'm trying to find out if anyone can tell me how to bleed the new brake lines using a Pneumatic Brake Fluid Bleeder. I have a 1972 MG Midget and is kicking my a#$% trying to bleed the brake lines. Any advise?

Mr. Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, Nevada, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I've only bled brakes using the old 'pump the pedal slow' method. But, it you put a new master on, you need to bleed it prior to bleeding the system. On the wheels, always start with the farthest wheel first. I usually bleed all four, then do it again.

flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, Illinois, USA   USA
I use a Motive Products bleeder,put some fluid in it,attach it to the master,pump it up and check for leaks visually and at the gauge(if it doesn't hold pressure you have a leak at the bleeder connection or somewhere in the brake system),attach a small hose from the bleeder nipple into a bottle,do the right rear,left rear,right front,left front one at a time til there's no bubbles,top off the master and check the pedal firmness,sometimes have had to repeat the sequence.If it's a new master too,Google bench bleeding a master cylinder,it's not that difficult to do.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 01:49 PM by flat350.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Figman123 Avatar
How you bleed the Master Cylinder?

Mr. Fig
FIG72

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, Nevada, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
Best way to bleed the master cylinder is on the bench-before installation. You need to make sure you get all bubbles out of both sections of the master. Most bleed kits come with two short hoses and adapters. You put one in each place where the brake lines would connect to the master. Run the hoses back into the top of the master, then push the piston in with a screwdriver. Keep pushing and letting up until all bubbles are out of the plastic hoses. Then install the master and lines and proceed to bleed the brake lines. Just don't let the master go dry or you will have to start all over again. You can find some ideas on how to do this by looking up brake master bleeding on youtube. Hope this helps

Figman123 Avatar
thanks!!!

Mr. Fig
FIG72

tater salad Avatar
tater salad Gold Member Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
a six pack
a buddy
a half hour your done
you got brakes

raposka Avatar
raposka Robert Hutchinson
Chassell, MI, USA   USA
My son is 7 years old, and after changing the brake lines, wheel cylinders, drums, rotors, and pads, I had him pump the pedal for me. It was fun at first, "down!", "down!", "up!", "up!", but then he started complaining that his leg was tired. I told him to use his other leg.

I just bought the car last winter, and it is my first MG, and the brakes were terrible. I see other people complain about brakes, but after rebuilding, bleeding, and adjusting the drums, the car stops just fine.

Tynwistle Avatar
Tynwistle Silver Member David L
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Bruna"
Don’t know if it is th e same on a 72, but on a 79 you bleed side to side. Right hand first, then left hand. I do Front first and then back on each side and it works fine. This is according to the Bentley workshop manual.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
In reply to # 3640953 by djclinton Best way to bleed the master cylinder is on the bench-before installation. You need to make sure you get all bubbles out of both sections of the master. Most bleed kits come with two short hoses and adapters. You put one in each place where the brake lines would connect to the master. Run the hoses back into the top of the master, then push the piston in with a screwdriver. Keep pushing and letting up until all bubbles are out of the plastic hoses. Then install the master and lines and proceed to bleed the brake lines. Just don't let the master go dry or you will have to start all over again. You can find some ideas on how to do this by looking up brake master bleeding on youtube. Hope this helps

Fig, you'll want to cap those openings when transferring the MC from bench to the car since it is not a quick instantaneous installation. Also, capping prevents traditional brake fluid from ruining your paint. If synthetic, it just prevents you from negating all the bench bleeding you did to purge the system!

terryke5hwe Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
The damn shuttle valve on my 1979 drove me crazy! That being said, gravity bleeding works well to push air out.

yycmidget Avatar
yycmidget Dave B
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Here are a couple of pictures of when I re-did the brake master cylinder on my 79. Installed in the car, the high point of the master cylinder is above the port into the reservoir. Bench bleeding allows you do ensure that there is no air in the body of the master cylinder. As David B mentioned, cap the ports as best you can - more to prevent the mess (and possible paint damage) than anything else, since you won't reintroduce air unless you manage to let the reservoir drain empty.

X2 on the shuttle valve being a bit of a chore, but if you pay attention to how the shuttle is plumbed and the order you bleed the wheels, then (if the shuttle has tripped) you can usually re-center it by bleeding a wheel on "the other side" of the shuttle - just a little bit.

Hope that helps.

-----------
Dave

Attachments:
2017-07-29 14.10.07.jpg    39 KB
2017-07-29 14.10.07.jpg

2017-07-29 14.09.52.jpg    29.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
The Gunson Eezibleeder does a great job. Works off of 22psi of front tire pressure. I've heard of guys pressurizing the master then cracking the fittings to let out any air. Good luck.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster